NGD Reloaded: Martin 000-M

Glenn F

• Members

Thanks for your kind words, jamesp!

Thing is, the strings were a bit deader than the Eastman's. When the strings are fresh, the Martin has a lot of overtones, and a very distinct voice, that made my wife say 'huh!' I think I am going to stay with natural strings on this guitar. I am not mesmerized by the Elixir nano PBs I've put on it (as I mention in another thread).

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Ok,

lol... one of the things that led me to this forum in the first place was that, when I got my Martin D-15, I was advised to sand the saddle myself, being told it was very easy, etc, given correct procedure, and I went on my merry way; sanding at least a mm off the saddle, thus making the guitar very buzzy. My luthier is busy with a concert he's singing in, so I decided to try sanding the saddle down on the 000, being a bit more conservative this time. So, I take the strings out of their pegs, take the bridge out, draw a line about .5 mm from the bottom, and start sanding away. This Tusq stuff is pretty hard (or is Corian, Coriander?) and it takes a bit of effort, but I got some away, but not quite to the level of my line. I pop it back in, and instant improvement! No buzzing, but still a little high. So, I take it out again, sand some more, get set to pop it back in again, when I notice there's a shim in there! I take that out, and it is about a mm. I figure, well, why not try it out without the shim in there. Worst case scenario is I'll have to put it back in. So, I pop the saddle back in, sans shim, tune her up, and oohh, baybee! lol! No buzzing, nice low action, and nice (as far as Elixirs go) tone. I'm surprised I got it right, but I am even more surprised there was a shim in there in the first place, and that the combined reduction of my sanding and the removal of the shim didn't have any adverse consequences.

I just saved myself a few

• Members

The first bit is by Paul McCartney, called 'Jenny Wren.' The second bit is an old standard by I don't know who, called 'Dream A Little Dream.' . . .

According to Wikipedia.org,

"Dream a Little Dream of Me" is a song whose music was written by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt, and the lyrics were written by Gus Kahn.

It was first recorded in 1931 by Ozzie Nelson and his orchestra and later by Kate Smith, and popularized by The Mamas and the Papas after they recorded it in 1968. Unfortunately, myguitarspace.com is having issues so I can't listen to your clip. :cry:

• Members

You're the second person who's said that! :lol:I'll have you know that my exchanges are, sadly, never lateral, but almost always vertically upward. :facepalm:

I always try to get the best bang for the buck, but, with the exceptions of my Seagulls, going for the cheaper guitars has rarely paid off for me. One actual exception to this is my MIM Tele. The pickups were meh, the playability was ok. I got my luthier to do a proper setup, and he installed new p'ups, and now the guitar not only sounds superb, but it almost plays itself. Still, I had to invest another

• Members

You're the second person who's said that! :lol:I'll have you know that my exchanges are, sadly, never lateral, but almost always vertically upward. :facepalm:

I always try to get the best bang for the buck, but, with the exceptions of my Seagulls, going for the cheaper guitars has rarely paid off for me. One actual exception to this is my MIM Tele. The pickups were meh, the playability was ok. I got my luthier to do a proper setup, and he installed new p'ups, and now the guitar not only sounds superb, but it almost plays itself. Still, I had to invest another

• Members

According to Wikipedia.org,

It was first recorded in 1931 by Ozzie Nelson and his orchestra and later by Kate Smith, and popularized by The Mamas and the Papas after they recorded it in 1968. Unfortunately, myguitarspace.com is having issues so I can't listen to your clip.
:cry:

Thanks for the info! Nice to be doing a public domain song. I think my wife and I will record it at some point for a VOM. My page seems to be working ok now.

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived