Guitar mystery at GC today

philo426

• Members

I was at my local GC today trying out many acoustics and have a mystery.Of all the guitars I tried today the only one that impressed me was a 400 dollar Breedlove!I tried Martins and Parkers Epiphones and Gibsons but the Breedlove 200 kicked all of their butt s for tone,clarity and volume(and it is only a 7/8 Dreadnaught size)!I mean on paper one would think that this could not be so but the proof is in the playing!It does have a solid spruce top and Mahogany back and sides.It has a thin satin finish with no pick-guard and is very light in weight but it really has power!I think I will go back and get it soon!Has anyone have an explanation why a 400 guitar can be superior to a 2500 guitar?Opinions requested!

• Members

I've seen this before at GC. The staff gets distracted for a minute and some smartass kids stuff a high-end Martin into a little Breedlove, then they hang around and wait for someone to try out the Breedlove. Oldest trick in the book (other than the phony Triscuit scam, but that is for another forum).

• Members

Phi, I had the same experience with a Passport D20 7/8. As soon as I lower the action, it'll be a fine player. Many guitars that sound great with a pick fall flat when I'm fingerstyling, so anything that shines with skin and nail is fab by me. (Big on Breedloves.)

• Members

The only thing it lacks is a pick-up .The latest issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine has a review of a retro-fit acoustic pick-up system that utilizes twin condenser mics with the output jack replacing the existing strap button on the lower bought. THe review mentions that it does not feedback and sounds great!

• Members

It's very possible that the Breedlove just had newer strings on it than the rest of the guitars. That seems to be pretty typical of Guitar Centers---some guitars have brand new strings on them, and other guitars have strings that are about to rust through.

It's also very possible that the Breedlove just sounded better to you. Guitar tone is a very subjective thing and what sounds good to you might not necessarily sound good to someone else. The bottom line is that if you liked the guitar, buy it :thu:!

• Members

I found the same, to a lesser extent, when I grabbed my $200 Ibby. It outplayed guitars costing three times as much. (But not the Gibsons and Martins)

Not sure what the reasons are
but if you find one you like, get it before it's gone.

EG

That is a GREAT $200 guitar. Was your name already on the box label when you went to pay for it?

"Guitar Center"

c/o Elias:eek:

• Members

I've seen this before at GC. The staff gets distracted for a minute and some smartass kids stuff a high-end Martin into a little Breedlove, then they hang around and wait for someone to try out the Breedlove. Oldest trick in the book (other than the phony Triscuit scam, but that is for another forum).

How do you stuff one guitar into another one?:confused:

• Members

Not to rain on your parade -the Martins and Gibsons probably had old strings on them and the Breedlove just came out of the box with new strings ( Just kidding ) congrats on your new guitar !

^This is a strong possibility. Another is that a 7/8 guitar would conceivably have a slightly different tonal balance than a full size dread and you might prefer the sound.

• Members

I brought home the most exquisite sounding Martin I'd ever played from GC. I was even wondering how in hell Martin even let the schmucks at GC have this one. I got it home, opened the case and there, instead of the Martin, was this Breedlove concert. {censored}! Anyway, I played it and as Gawd is my witness it sounded better than that Martin.

LMAO!!!!

you've been Zapped!!!

Chappelle.jpg

Has to do with the law of 5's. The Law of Fives is one of the oldest Erisian Mysterees, you know. The Law of Fives states simply that: All things happen in Fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of Five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5. The Law of Fives is never wrong.

Always try the 5th guitar.

• Members

Or they can just point behind the staffer and say, "Look at that!" I've encountered some that probably would fall for that.

Archived