Another Martin vs. Taylor crapshoot

kwakatak

• Members

I went to my local shop to buy supplies and they had one of the new Performing Artist Taylor look-alikes and a whole wall of Taylors to compare it to. As much as I love Martin dreads I think I'd go with a Taylor GS8 over that Martin any day. It sounded much more "open" and it wasn't encumbered by such a weighty electronics package.

The real surprise was that they had a Taylor 8 string baritone and I lubbed it lots. I've never played a baritone before - much less one with 8 strings even I found them to be distracting - but I really enjoyed it. It felt good to play Andy McKee's "Ebon Coast" on the appropriate-sized instrument with the appropriate tone and string tension. I don't remember the model number because my GAS list is long enough.

To summarize: I'm starting to gain appreciation for Taylor's upper midrange offerings. I'm not likely to buy anything below a --5 (500 series) though. In that price range I still like Larriv

• Members

Yeah, the Performance series Martins are really the answer to a question nobody asked. Why do they look like a Taylor, albeit with Gibson AJ inlays, sound like a Gibson (J-45, maybe?) and play terribly?

I've been a Martin guy since the '70's but Taylor's have finally started to turn my head. I don't think Martin makes anything that sounds as good as a 300 series Taylor for under 3k. Don't get me wrong, I've played some breathtaking new Martins recently but Taylor really impresses me with their consistency and value.

• Members

I don't think Martin makes anything that sounds as good as a 300 series Taylor for under 3k. Don't get me wrong, I've played some breathtaking new Martins recently but Taylor really impresses me with their consistency and value.

That sums up my feelings pretty well.

• Members

I play a Larrivee and really love it.

I've always thought of myself as loving the Martin sound, and not being a fan of Taylor. Recently, I sat in a boutique shop and played numerous Martins. They all sounded very dry, boomy, and muddy to me. Didn't like them at all.

I must admit, the Taylor GS series really impresses me, though they are awfully spendy. I also like the DN4 - with the Ovankol B&S. That thing has some serious bass response. I wish Taylor would offer the GS in a 4 model that was more affordable.

Taylor also gets a BIG +1 from me because the majority of their instruments have 1-3/4" nut spacing - even the dreads.

• Members

I think it's a crapshoot with any brand. One of the best sounding gits i ever played was a rose Gibson J-45. Acoustically it sounded as though it was being played through a compressor, all notes getting equal treatment and volume. Since then i hav'nt encountered another Gibson that comes close...and i'm a Martin player.

It's like these companies have a bunch of good recipes but they only get it right once in a while. Martin seems to get it right more often.

But I'm starting to give up on the big companies and looking more at boutique stuff. I think it's worth it to get exactly what you're after. A git the gets an A+ in sound play and looks pretty much negates GAS and gear discussions entirely, and one can get down to playing music, the whole purpose of having a guitar.

Someone say Taylor? What's that?

• Members

I play with my Johnson a lot and few things make me happier...

LMAO :thu:

Seriously though, I much prefer Taylors to Martins . . .

. . . but, HST, I would never buy a Taylor because I know I can get an equivalent spec Crafter which sounds just as good and which is of comparable quality and workmanship for less than half the cost of the Taylor.

• Members

I think it's a crapshoot with any brand. One of the best sounding gits i ever played was a rose Gibson J-45. Acoustically it sounded as though it was being played through a compressor, all notes getting equal treatment and volume. Since then i hav'nt encountered another Gibson that comes close...and i'm a Martin player.

It's like these companies have a bunch of good recipes but they only get it right once in a while. Martin seems to get it right more often.

But I'm starting to give up on the big companies and looking more at boutique stuff. I think it's worth it to get exactly what you're after. A git the gets an A+ in sound play and looks pretty much negates GAS and gear discussions entirely, and one can get down to playing music, the whole purpose of having a guitar.

Someone say Taylor? What's that?

I'm with you on the boutique brands as well - more properly the custom ordered variety from independent luthiers. Problem is that they can be "spendy" to an extreme : $5K+.

BTW, they don't negate GAS. THey just upon up a whole new dimension. I know of one person who easily has $35K wrapped up in several guitars all from the same small luthier. He plays a mean piano. :-/

I guess my tastes are getting too far beyond my means. I find myself being drawn toward the $2K and up range when I should just be satisfied with what I have.:(

• Members

Sorry to all but I love my Taylor 814CE. I got it in May and I'm still breaking it in. I played a lot of guitars before purchasing this one, mainly Martin and Taylor. Even other Taylors, more and less expensive, didn't stay with me the way this one did. I was really trying to buy a 314CE - that is where my budget was, but I gave in with the permission of the Mrs.

And flamed maple binding?? Incredible to look at as well.

• Members

All I can say is, take look at Taylor's bi-annual limited edition models. You get features of the much more expensive models at a great savings. I bought my 416ce for $2100. It's a Grand Symphony cutaway with a solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, full gloss finish, Expression system, and a deluxe case. The only production model that offers spruce and rosewood in this body shape is the 816 ce that retails for $3000. Granted, the 816 gives you some nice appointments and inlays, but I'll sacrifice a little bling to save $900 any day.

And it sounds absolutely stunning!

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/limiteds/

• Members

I'm with you on the boutique brands as well - more properly the custom ordered variety from independent luthiers. Problem is that they can be "spendy" to an extreme : $5K+.

BTW, they don't negate GAS. THey just upon up a whole new dimension. I know of one person who easily has $35K wrapped up in several guitars all from the same small luthier. He plays a
mean
piano. :-/

I guess my tastes are getting too far beyond my means. I find myself being drawn toward the $2K and up range when I should just be satisfied with what I have.
:(

Neil,

Since you really like McKnight, I think you should go for it. Probably not immediately, but at least you can plan for it. How many years will it take to save & come up with the $$? 1,3,5 years? It's still worth the wait considering you'll still get to play it for many years thereafter.

Even faster, if you can sell some of your current gears. Just a thought...

• Members

I own a Taylor DN3 and have a love hate relationship with it. I don't think there are many Taylors with a 1 11/16" neck. The 1 3/4" neck on mine is totally kicking my ass. I am 6'5" and have big hands ... so I didn't think it would be a big deal ... WRONG!

Just pointing out that there are playability issues in addition to tone issues. For me the Martins are much much easier to play.

• Members

I own a Taylor DN3 and have a love hate relationship with it. I don't think there are many Taylors with a 1 11/16" neck. The 1 3/4" neck on mine is totally kicking my ass. I am 6'5" and have big hands ... so I didn't think it would be a big deal ... WRONG!

Just pointing out that there are playability issues in addition to tone issues. For me the Martins are much much easier to play.

supports what I have long asserted. Size of your hands has nothing whatever to do with it.

• Members

Neil,

Since you really like McKnight, I think you should go for it. Probably not immediately, but at least you can plan for it. How many years will it take to save & come up with the $$? 1,3,5 years? It's still worth the wait considering you'll still get to play it for many years thereafter.

Even faster, if you can sell some of your current gears. Just a thought...

Believe me, I've seriously considered it but unfortunately I cannot give such a premium instrument a good and safe home. My new Martin already has a few marks on it and my older guitars look like they've been attacked by beavers so I doubt I'd get anything for 'em. :-/

OTOH, I just helped a friend start his second build last night: an 00 based off a vintage Epiphone (not a Gibson, which is slightly smaller.) He'd already made the molds from scratch based off the plans which he'd purchased at stewmac. I helped him put in a flamed maple center strip and join the back last night. I'm hoping to make it over there again soon. I wanna see how he does the side bending up close.

It's too early to tell if I'll get the bug yet, but after the McKnight Jam a couple of weekends back my imagination's already at work and I've been doodling in my sketch pad on an inlay I'd like to do.

BTW, I'm still thinking of that Taylor baritone and GS8 too. They nearly eclipsed my lust for a Martin HD-35.

LOL - GAS sure is an adventure for me! The thrill is in the hunt though.

• Members

Lots of guitars sound great. Kinda depends on your mood and ears at the time. I played a Martin D35-S the other day in my friends shop....incredible sound...different from any Martin I have ever played. It has a Open headstock and 12 frets to the body....really different looking. I have no idea how old it was...the guy who brought it into the shop bought it at a yard sale for $50......Why can't I find those deals?....Oh well, next to that guitar, only a vintage J45/J50 really rings my bell...there was just something about those Gibsons that really appeals to my ears and soul.

• Members

All I can say is, take look at Taylor's bi-annual limited edition models. You get features of the much more expensive models at a great savings. I bought my 416ce for $2100. It's a Grand Symphony cutaway with a solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, full gloss finish, Expression system, and a deluxe case. The only production model that offers spruce and rosewood in this body shape is the 816 ce that retails for $3000. Granted, the 816 gives you some nice appointments and inlays, but I'll sacrifice a little bling to save $900 any day.

And it sounds absolutely stunning!

I looked at a similar 414CE to my 814CE. It had the same woods, just not the flame maple binding or inlays. But the price difference was like $2200 vs $2700. Besides the fact that it still didn't sound as good to me as the 814, from a resale standpoint, numbers do matter and I figured the 814 would hold its value better long term.

• Members

I looked at a similar 414CE to my 814CE. It had the same woods, just not the flame maple binding or inlays. But the price difference was like $2200 vs $2700. Besides the fact that it still didn't sound as good to me as the 814, from a resale standpoint, numbers do matter and I figured the 814 would hold its value better long term.

Well, one should always choose the guitar that sounds better - and you're right: $500 isn't that big of a difference, compared to the grand I saved. All of the 800s are beautiful guitars, to be sure.

• Members

I never played a Taylor that I liked (tone). I'm sure there upper end models are nice, but not my cuppa tea.

Dry was the feeling I came away with when playing the taylors. However, the taylors I've heard live have sounded nice. That being said, I love martin guitars to death.:eek:

• Members

Sorry to all but I love my Taylor 814CE. I got it in May and I'm still breaking it in. I played a lot of guitars before purchasing this one, mainly Martin and Taylor. Even other Taylors, more and less expensive, didn't stay with me the way this one did. I was really trying to buy a 314CE - that is where my budget was, but I gave in with the permission of the Mrs.

And flamed maple binding?? Incredible to look at as well.

I liked the 814ce too. It's probably my 2nd favorite acoustic.

A/B'd it to my Guild F65ce. It came in second, but respectably.

The 814ce owner agreed with me.

Still, I've only played one guitar in my life that felt more natural to me

than the 814ce.

• Members

I've own many different guitars. Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Takamine, Ovation, Tacoma, Yamaha, and Fender.

I put Taylor at the top for acoustic sound and consistancy. I stayed away from Taylor for years because I don't like the ES, and rarely do you see a straight up acoustic Taylor at the stores.

Martins are nice but not as consistant as Taylors.

Breedloves are nice too, but they have a weirdness to their tone that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it has something to do with that bridge system they use.

I put Ovation at the top for plugged in sound and durability. I have never heard an Ovation plugged in that didn't sound good.

Yamahas are very good for the money, and for $500.00 you can get a nice sounding guitar both acoustically and plugged in.

I put Gibson at the bottom for acoustic sound and consistancy (which is why Gibson is not on my list of guitars that I have owned). I have played $4,000.00 Gibsons that sounded worse than a $199.00 Fender, and have never played a Gibson that has sounded good to me. I have heard that once in a while you get a good one, but I have never heard one yet.

I was recently looking to trade a Breedlove because something about the tone was bugging me. I went to GC and played a bunch of different guitars. Mostly Martins (one being almost $2,000.00). Everything I played sounded sort of boxy to me for some reason, and it was getting frustrating. I picked up a Taylor 110. It was a straight up acoustic, and it sounded really good compared to the other guitars that I played. I went outside for a smoke and to think about trading for the 110. When I went back in, I saw a Taylor DN3 wich was also a straight up acoustic. I strummed a chord and could not believe how good it sounded. I wound up getting the Taylor DN3. It's their lowest end american made guitar, but the sound can easily compeat with the big boys.

If you ever see a Taylor DN3, I would highly suggest that you at least play it. They don't look all fancy or have any bling, but you will be amazed at how good these guitars sound.

• Members

Somebody else on here mentioned that a full strum on their guitar sounded like it had a compressor on it. That is exactly how my Taylor sounded to me although I couldn't put it to words. Very very balanced, string to string, volume wise. Sweet stuff.

Archived