Another Martin vs. Taylor crapshoot

kwakatak

• Members

Somebody else on here mentioned that a full strum on their guitar sounded like it had a compressor on it. That is exactly how my Taylor sounded to me although I couldn't put it to words. Very very balanced, string to string, volume wise. Sweet stuff.

Yet another reason why they're great in live band situations. I'd warrant that such "tightness" is also desirable when recording. OTOH Martins were designed in an age before that and were voiced to put out as much volume as they could without a PA.

I blame banjo players, really. Without them nobody'd be building a guitar that'd bury one in the mix. :cop:

• Members

Dylan Rovere.

If/when I order a custom git it'll be a Rovere. He's all about building the guitar your way.

Kwak, not sure how much fancy inlay you're thinking about, but I'd suggest putting the money into other stuff. It's not like ordering a custom Martin where everything is already sized and shaped. With a guy like Rovere you can spec just about any detail you can think of, and then some.

I imagine the same is true of McKnight.

• Members

All I can say is, take look at Taylor's bi-annual limited edition models. You get features of the much more expensive models at a great savings. I bought my 416ce for $2100. It's a Grand Symphony cutaway with a solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, full gloss finish, Expression system, and a deluxe case. The only production model that offers spruce and rosewood in this body shape is the 816 ce that retails for $3000. Granted, the 816 gives you some nice appointments and inlays, but I'll sacrifice a little bling to save $900 any day.

And it sounds absolutely stunning!

I have a 414CE Ltd. that's become my favorite all-around guitar. It's not the best at anything, but it does more things well than any of my others. I forget the year - think it's a 2006 - but it's opened up really nicely. The back and sides are rosewood rather than the usual ovangkol.

• Members

OK, I'm gonna have to go back and do some direct A/B-ing in several categories:

Personal favorites: GS8 vs HD-35

$1000 (give or take) dread: DN3 vs D-16GT

Gigging/beater mid-size A/E: 214CE vs 000X1E

Travel size: GS Mini vs 00X1AE

• Members

Yet another reason why they're great in live band situations. I'd warrant that such "tightness" is also desirable when recording. OTOH Martins were designed in an age before that and were voiced to put out as much volume as they could without a PA.

I blame banjo players, really. Without them nobody'd be building a guitar that'd bury one in the mix.
:cop:

I haven't had a chance to record it yet, but can't wait!

• Members

I own a Taylor DN3 and have a love hate relationship with it. I don't think there are many Taylors with a 1 11/16" neck. The 1 3/4" neck on mine is totally kicking my ass. I am 6'5" and have big hands ... so I didn't think it would be a big deal ... WRONG!

Just pointing out that there are playability issues in addition to tone issues. For me the Martins are much much easier to play.

It is individual as I am 5'10" and I find 1 11/16 cramped.

Archived