The Apprentice

rickoshea

• Members
Oh, yeah, right.
:thu:

lol ... I've just spent an hour going over it again checking for any imperfections - sad but true :facepalm:. I did get the soundboard sealed though with a shellac/alcohol mix (a weak form of french polish). Its even a wee bit shiny now which will please Knock but I'll wait till I have a few more pics before posting them ;):lol:

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol .. thanks :). I've been waiting on a delivery of shellac flakes to make up my cuts of French Polish so thats delayed things a bit. I also ordered a dedicated fret levelling file, a fret crowning file set, and a set of good nut files. So ... we're good to go and start the finishing, I'll hopefully get some photos of the process up over the weekend :thu:

Its time to get shinyyyyyyyyyyy :lol:

• Members

lol .. thanks
:)
. I've been waiting on a delivery of shellac flakes to make up my cuts of French Polish so thats delayed things a bit. I also ordered a dedicated fret levelling file, a fret crowning file set, and a set of good nut files. So ... we're good to go and start the finishing, I'll hopefully get some photos of the process up over the weekend

Its time to get
shinyyyyyyyyyyy
:lol:

Rick,

You've made quite an investment in tooling, gonna have to build some more to get a proper return.:thu:

Better pick up one of these for the shop:

texsport_cot.jpg

• Members
Rick,

You've made quite an investment in tooling, gonna have to build some more to get a proper return.

Better pick up one of these for the shop:

texsport_cot.jpg

lol .... I would be more than happy to stay out there believe me ;). I have nice plans for the next build which may well be for someone a lot of us know but thats after I get this girl shinyyyyyyyyyyyy :lol:

• Members

I think next time I'll do ot this way as well, with masking off the bridge area. I did it the other way around, with paint stripper, but that got a bit under the masking tape and then resulted in a bare patch of wood next to the bridge.

• Members

I'm on a mission to give Knock a hard on .... this is going to be well shiny ;):lol:

Pore filling. There are many ways to fill up the wee bloody holes in hardwood. I was going with this :

pore_filling3.jpg

yup - superglue, or CA glue, or the stuff that bonds my sodding fingers together more often than enough. First a few coats of a dilute French Polish are applied which makes it easier to fill the pores. This makes the guitar a wee bit shiny :

pore_filling4.jpg

pore_filling5.jpg

then ... and this felt completely and utterly wrong to me ... superglue is dropped on and spread with a playing card to start filling up the pores. The result is a bit more shiny :

pore_filling2.jpg

then this is sanded back with damp 800 grit paper theoretically leaving the pores filled with the glue. You might be able to see some of that here :

pore_filling1.jpg

..... or you might not :facepalm:. I've been having problems getting these craters in the zebrano properly filled so am considering doing the pore filling by more traditional means using pumice. This initially will make the guitar a lot less shiny - sorry Knock :poke: lol

Laurent - its much easier this way methinks, and Pinch - thanks ... I'm hoping the finishing goes well at this stage ;)

• Members

Oh damn, that is so spectacular, those first layers of lacquer, isn't it? I had some trouble getting the rosewood porefilled properly as well, yes.

You have inspired me to definitely go build a second one someday. But first I'm off to Michigan, USA for six weeks :D

• Members

Rick, Laurent et al...

I'm a little confused about filling the pores on the guitar. In your opinions, is pore-filling a cosmetic-only function?

The reason I ask...everybody talks about a guitar "opening up", and describes the process in terms like the molecules loosening up to allow for more reverberence etc. when it's played.

If you fill the pores with something like CA glue, aren't you actually slowing down the "opening up" process? Wouldn't pumice actually be better?

I'm just wondering..

Ian

• Members

Rick, Laurent et al...

I'm a little confused about filling the pores on the guitar. In your opinions, is pore-filling a cosmetic-only function?

The reason I ask...everybody talks about a guitar "opening up", and describes the process in terms like the molecules loosening up to allow for more reverberence etc. when it's played.

If you fill the pores with something like CA glue, aren't you actually slowing down the "opening up" process? Wouldn't pumice actually be better?

I'm just wondering..

Ian

Porefilling is necessary to prevent having to use immense amounts of lacquer to achieve a smooth surface. Otherwise the lacquer will continue to be absorbed by the pores.

Porefiller isn't used for the top though, and as most of the sound comes from that I wonder how much effect it has on the overall sound.

• Members

basically what Laurent said ... you'd never get a smooth surface and have a moon crater guitar :facepalm:.

Me think this is the thread of the year!

Wow Rick: what a nice guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Misha :thu: .... mais j'esp

• Members

Looking good rick. From what I can tell with this whole process, the devil is in the details.

Sometime-poster, AGF regular and fellow western-Pennsylvanian Yamaha Junkie is in the final stages of his first build as well and is doing French polish as well. He's got a thread documenting it over at AGF and he had some shots of the polish in progress. He's not sweating the pore-filling for some reason though. When I saw this pic I asked him what was up:

62424295.jpg

He came back with:

You start with a few thin layers of Shellac/alcohol. Then pumus (fine ground volcanic ash) and alcohol to create a gritty sludge of wood and shellac. The last picture on the clean paper was day 4.

Today I level sanded the back. I still see pores, I'm good with that. I started Glazing today, wait 2 days (probably) sand again. Level then sit a few days. Fine care wax ( I have the name written down. Then she s I still am a week behind on the front. I found a ding on the center on the back of the neck. So, I just filled that with super glue. Sanding probably set my neck back 2 days from being finished. I also got the Fretboard radiused (16") then worked my way up to 12,000 grit (yep) sandpaper.

I am starting to gather tuners, bridge, bridge locater tool.... Man I hope this thing doesn't implode when I string her up!

I'd think that at this stage you'd really want to sweat the details. There's no sense backing off now, right?

• Members

for some reason I cant multiquote .....

Kwak - yep, thats the traditional way to fill pores when French Polishing. Using CA glue is quicker and probably more effective but I'm having diffs with my application technique methinks. French Polish bonds perfectly to the superglue so I may try it once again :thu:. I'll be pore filling till all the wee buggers are filled - as you say, its all in the details ;)

Misha - vous

• Members

so shes had a couple more coats of shellac in readiness for either the pumice method of pore filling or trying the superglue again - we'll see cause I have to leave her 24 hours.

Fretwork time - the fret ends needed filing to bring them flush with the binding on the fingerboard. This is done with a dead flat fret levelling file ... and it's easy enough. Here the 2 frets on the right are done with the file resting on the 3 on the left ready to bring them back :

fretting8.jpg

once finished they now need angled. I made a jig to hold the file at an angle of about 35deg - this ensures all the frets are the same rather than doing each individually :

fretting7.jpg

onto the frets :

fretting6-1.jpg

and the filing is done up and down the fingerboard :

fretting5-1.jpg

and all nice and even :

fretting4-1.jpg

fretting3-1.jpg

then I masked off the fingerboard to protect it from the finishing :

fretting1-1.jpg

and laid a few layers of dilute French Polish on the headstock and neck .... more pore filling next :thu:

• Members

cheers :) .... high praise indeed saying they look as good as a Yamaha ;):lol:
Hopefully they'll stay that way after I level them then make them all shiny again as well :thu:

Oh yeah - just remembered, I have this strange inkling to do a slothead sometime :poke: :poke: :lol:

Archived