You have $850...

knickdeez

• Members

I would buy a Larrivee OM-O3 or a D-3......maybe the best guitar for the money you can get...My D-3 sounds incredible. They list for $1400, but can be bought for $920 new, and $750-800 used. Mine is 10 years old and sounds like a D28 with a J45 stuck inside of it....great bottom end with Gibson brightness...who could ask for more?

• Members

I would buy a Larrivee OM-O3 or a D-3......maybe the best guitar for the money you can get...My D-3 sounds incredible. They list for $1400, but can be bought for $920 new, and $750-800 used. Mine is 10 years old and sounds like a D28 with a J45 stuck inside of it....great bottom end with Gibson brightness...who could ask for more?

That's option 2. I happen to like Larrivee guitars a lot and would even say that they're better values than low-end Martins but OTOH with regards to tone I think Martins are more "robust" than Larrivee's dreads.

• Members

I'd take $6-700 and by a good used D18, then put another $4-500 into having Bryan Kimsey fix whatever is wrong with it (which just happens to be what I've got - I can promise that a hot rodded 70's D18 will kill most any banjo).

If you have to have new, go to Maury's website and compare Blueridge to the equivalent Martin models, then buy the one that turns your crank.

• Members

If you have interest in the D16GT talk to Jim at Trinity Guitar, http://www.trinityguitars.com/ first rate dealer and very good guy.He can fit this guitar into your budget, well he could a month ago when he quoted me and that would include a bone saddle upgrade as well.
You do have to email for his price (and ask about the saddle upgrade)
He also has used Martin D 15M that could be something to consider as well and easily in your budget

• Members

Well, you said $850! Not a little more, so I'll tell you for under $600 you can get this! All solid wood, Gover tuners, a VERY GOOD pick up system with a Magnetic AND an under saddle, with volume for each and a blend,. and still have enough for tax and $200 or so to put toward FX, Mic, a Nice Amp!...........:thu:(ok, so I'm a pit partial but for the price you cant beat it.)

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=333&CollectionID=15

FYI: What ever you get, order it if you can. Don't buy one off the rack at Guitar Denter.

• Members

Well, we have Taylor, Martin, Guild, Eastman, Larrivee, Takamine, Breedlove, Epiphone, and Seagull. Gibson even gets an off-handed honorable mention. I think in terms of frequency, Martin may have a slight lead as we round the back stretch. Sounds like a good list to go out and spend the afternoon playing to your heart's content. I might as well mention Yairi, as I happen to think there is great value in that particular brand as well.

Archived