VOM 37 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my submission.FWIW I still think it needs work and I'm considering on polishing it up. I'm hoping for a quiet moment to play it for my wife tonight after the kids go to bed but she's heard me practicing this one all week. Even the kids know the words! :lol:

As for everyone else's stuff I admit that I haven't listened to everybody's but a few that I have heard really stand out to me. Here's a couple to get started; I'll add more as time permits:

Queequeg: I

• Members
One Meat Ball

(L. Singer-H.Zaret)

I recorded this last week at the end of some kind of throat crud and discovered my inner Tom Waits.

MM reminded me to edit this: the guitar is the Zeff -- Epiphone Zephyr Regent.

Aw man, Stack. Your stuff is great as always. You must do this for a living or something, right? ;)

Seriously, your stuff is light-hearted and infectuous. Your lyrics and vocal inflections on this one for some reason make me think of Randy Newman. Great job! :thu:

• Members
One of my first plunked out guitar tunes --
Love Me Tender
by Elvis Presley and Vera Matson. Recorded late at night in sleepy mode. Guitar is a Yamaha FG110 given to me as a very special birthday present by The Guitarist Known As Chris Baker!

I gave this one a listen yesterday but didn't have time to comment. First, I have to say that I loved it and must say that you have a great voice. Your rendition keeps true to the mood of the original but gives it an almost lullaby-like air as well and I'll be sharing it with my kids.

Great job! I can't wait to hear more! :)

• Members

Maggie...sweet voice.

Heartstring...with those glasses I thought you were John Goddman...looks like a Taylor 214 you were playing...nice.

Michael M...that guitar fingerstyle sounded beautiful. Nice little bass run and well recorded. Nice again.

• Members
Heartstring
...with those glasses I thought you were John Goodman...looks like a Taylor 214 you were playing...nice.

After or before he lost all that weight? :mad: It's OK, I can take it! ;)

Oh, and thats my Taylor 110e, another sixgun I bought purely on impulse. No regrets, though! :thu:

• Members
I gave this one a listen yesterday but didn't have time to comment. First, I have to say that I loved it and must say that you have a great voice. Your rendition keeps true to the mood of the original but gives it an almost lullaby-like air as well and I'll be sharing it with my kids.

Great job! I can't wait to hear more!
:)

Thank you so much! You're very kind!:)

• Members
Bridgepin, take your song and download it to Soundclick or any other music hosting service (look through various submissions and use one that others have used) and then post that link here. I don't think you can register at the VOM Archive Site till you have done at least one VOM. Once you've done your first VOM, you can register there and take advantage of the VOM Archive Site's music hosting.

Thanks Stackabones, I will do a little home work as to how it done, I did try soundclick but I just didn't spend enough time to get through it. I was trying at the last minute to get something in. Thanks again Stack :thu:

• Members

FussenKuh - Never heard that one before, very cool.

sixgunner455 - Like the groove you had going in this one!

fastblueheeler - Great song! I'm a history buff so really liked this a lot!

Maggie_Garza - Beautiful!!

Starrshine - Nver heard the original but very cool song. I liked the relaxed playing.

Michael_Martin - Being an Italophile I really appreciated this one!

kujozilla - I really liked the lyrics and the rlaxd delivery.

• Members
Finally... some free time to enjoy the VOM while the snow gently falls over my part of The Mitten. Just keep that ice away from me Mother Nature, you hear!?!

While, I've yet to listen to many of the entries, I have to at least give a shout out to diddybow. I couldn't not click on a tune called "Butt Blues" ;) Man, I really enjoyed that little ditty. There's just something about the raw sound of your playing that really clicked with my ears.

Also, thanks to everyone who gave my submission a listen as well as for the kind feedback :thu: And, thanks Mr Martin for the very kind words and advice. It's fantastic to hear that something that I've recreated has had such a positive impact on someone out there! I'm sure I'll continue to alway struggle with finding a comfortable vocal range but, any and all tips are always welcome! I know I'll never be a fantastic singer, but, thanks solely to encouragement from the fine folks at the VOM, I can finally say that I can play and sing at the same time... maybe not always well, but I've proven to myself that I can do it! That's honestly something that I never thought I'd actually be able to do.

And, that brings me to my last point of the moment. It's something that has been said before, but, it's worth repeating. This VOM idea is awesome... especially for those of us who have yet to get up the courage to attempt a real open mic event ;) Knowing that, once a month, I'll be participating in this virtual event is just one more piece knowledge that keeps me attempting to improve on my talents. Thank each and every one of you for that!

• Members

The person that did the "backing track" on this (calls himself "Dazzler") is a person that enjoys electronics and sounds. He built a synthesizer ("dazzle machine"). I tried to jam over the "music" that the thing can be programmwed to make. Thing is awesome. Please forgive my attempt at trying to actually "play" something over the "electronic music". I like to jam over strange stuff just to see what I come up with. This was much fun for me actually.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10323243

Archived