VOM 37 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's an original from some time ago.

Tracked a version in one take at the big studio yesterday on a whim while we were getting ready to work up some harmonies for a new tune. We stepped out and set up a pair of mics just outside the control room door and put down one take. I used JD's old Yamaha....that thing has serious mellow tone.

But......when I got home I realized that the tune had to be tracked with my Kalamazoo. So I set up a M/S pair of mics in my own room and did it again.......one take.

Leave A Little Mystery

Now I'll go back up and give everything a listen.:wave:

• Members

Hey Gang,
Just stumbled across VOM a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed listening to everyone, so thought I'd throw one into the mix for this month. Nice to see a few familiar names from other forums.
Not a Valentine's Day tune, but one that is very close to my heart. Lost my dad as a 6y/o boy and this one always makes me think back to those days of how I missed having a dad growing up. Originally written and recorded by Cat Stevens in 1970 on his Tea For The Tillerman album. Single take recorded with my H4.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=895337&songID=10227652&showPlayer=true

• Members

Hai Guys,

I don't post much in Acoustic Guitars, but I've been a long-time Stackabones fan, so I thought I would drop in and check out the open mic. Here is an original of mine, recorded in one take on a webcam.

Strings Of Your Genes

[video=youtube;IQb0v9txr-U]

• Members

Per usual, the song has been a bit simplified for easier play. It also contains my original take on the solo. As such, I suppose this is more of a VOM2T: One take for the rhythm and vocals, one take for the solo. Like everything, it's far from perfect, but, hopefully you all enjoy it!

Loved the solo - brilliant.

Phil

• Members

Queegqueg - Something

Nice job, one of my favorite George songs. Like the way you integrated the single line melody parts with the chord voicings.

Fendouglas - Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway

Nice tribute to GR - RIP.

garthman - Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)

I'm a pretty big Dylan fan, but I've probably listened to Desire 100 times for every time I've listened to Street Legal. You're reminding me that I should rectify this oversight.

• Members

Just gave everything a listen.....so far......

Tops for me was 'Love Me Tender'.......such a wonderful voice you have there, Maggie.

I also dug Michael Martin's 'Gloria II'....nice whistling and g6120's take on 'Little Wing'.' El noi de la Mare v2' was very pretty.....wonderful guitar sound. And smebobberoo......great performance.

Oh yeah......Johnny Cash was well represented by Black Hat Hunter.

Great to see that folks are ready to just put the music out there.:thu: Kudos to you, Stack, for puttin' this shindig on.:wave:

Hey there, Ram. Nice to see you again.

• Members

(L. Singer-H.Zaret)

I recorded this last week at the end of some kind of throat crud and discovered my inner Tom Waits.

Ha, that was kinda Waits-y! Good that you recorded it while you were crudded up because you prolly can't get that edge when healthy!

As usual, a uniquely "Stack" effect. Tragicomic in this case. And the subtle guitar work is outstanding. Is this your Epi?

• Members

Scrapped the new three-chord thing in favor of this other new song. It has five chords. Valentine theme! Began this as music-only last summer in Rome, wrote lyrics later, just recorded tonight. Could not find capo so had to use a pencil and rubber bands...hence the buzzy strings here and there.

One take, two simultaneously recorded tracks (vocal, Hummingbird) through AT2020 mikes into a Fostex VF80 recorder.

Lyrics:

Gloria II

• Members

I haven't contributed in some time, but I took the time, sat down and in true 1-take fashion put down a favorite of mine.....Funny Valentine.....It's stylized, based on Steve Goodman's version and I left it an instrumental....didn't have the time to work it out with the words. I got a little lost in the melody, but what the hay, it was a 1st take...

Anyway, here it is....recorded with an H4 on a table top about 3' from the guitar....my Recording King...left acoustic, finger picked.

Fun to be back....

Absolutely nothing to be said. (in a good way ) Late night bar music.... Do you do wild is the wind by any chance? (tomkin/Washington) I think. If so I love to hear you do that sometime.

Phil

• Members

:wave:

Looking forward to listening to all you talented folks. Thanks to Stack and all that keep this going.
:thu:

Great - I've just been inspired to give Wild is the Wind ago - and now you have inspired me to have a crack at layla. (I am not a fan of Eric Clapton) Your voice and laid back playing really gave this a great feel. 100%

Phil

Archived