VOM 37 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tbryson - You Wont See Me

Love the Rubber Soul period Beatles. Vocals have a little too much reverb - pull the lead vocal closer to the front of the stereo field.

DeepEnd - You Could Have Left It At That

Nice song. I was getting some weird discontinuity crackling at various points in the audio.

kwakatak - Love Will Keep Us Alive

Nice track - can tell that the vocal melody is a little bit of a stretch, but hearing you reach for it has its own charm.

fatback - Love In Vain

Love the Delta Blues picking. Would like to hear this with some acoustic slide over the top.

chriscarnucci - To Make You Feel My Love

Wow, my Dylan knowledge is really being exposed here. Don't think I've ever heard this one before. Nice, sweet version, and the guitar sounds great.

• Members

Stackabones - One Meat Ball

Dig the solo, and nice work on the verses (Tom Waits frog and all ;)).

FussenKuh - Home Sweet Home

Interesting version - the Motley Crue connection didn't kick in for me until the first chorus.

sixgunner - Proud Mary

Pretty good - check out the Ike and Tina Turner version as well.

fastblueheeler - St. Valentine's Day

I like the "talking blues" format, and was definitely drawn in by the lyrics.

• Members

Maggie Garza - Love Me Tender

Love the vocals and nice job on the guitar accompaniment.

Starrshine - Standing On The Moon

Nice version. Kind of wish the dulcimer would lock in with the guitar and some points and that the guitar would get out of the way of the dulicmer at others. Maybe I'm just confused by the overdubs - kind of in a 1-take mindset right now.

• Members

Queeq: Very interesting interpretation--more of a "searching" effect that takes us out of an easy familiar groove. I like this style for instrumentals...it feels playful and inventive.

Fendouglas: Ha, hadn't heard that song before. As usual with you, very full, expressive guitar sound. I try to go for that too, though in my case it gets muddy somehow sometimes. As you know I'm a fan of your recording method, whatever makes it what it is!

Garthman: There's something about FS 3/4 time that is just captivating. Love that. And this a Dylan song I haven't heard before. Haunting vocals.

tbryson: Really enjoy how you mess with the melody here. Not just a straight copy of the Beat Boys. And the multiple vocal tracks are quite complex--love the ooos and la- la-las! But one thought occurred: as this is one of those early Beatles songs where (in places) there's an interesting weave of Lennon and McCartney in a harmony/melody, why not harmonize with yourself? I think there would be "room" for that.

DeepEnd: Ach--not to pry, but--a tale from real life? In any case, I like how you carried this around with only a "hook" and later it became a whole song. Well-constructed, well-played. Poignant.

Kwak: Lordy man just shut up about your vocals. This is really well-sung! You sound quite a bit like whichever Eagle did the original (Frey or Henley?) You do that upper-register stuff very very beautifully. I can feel the love too. Obviously from the heart. Very mellow guitar sound too.

Chris Carnucci: Damn--another Dylan song I've never heard before! What a sweet song. Must've been from one of Dylan's rare periods of non-discontent. Very gentle, affecting performance. Touching and warm. Like Kwak's it feels like a song to someone beloved.

• Members

Michael_Martin - Gloria

Not the G-L-O-R-I-A version ;). I enjoyed this - cool lyric. Will have to listen more closely to try and translate the Italian.

kujozilla - Keep Me From Blowing Away

Nice - like the lyric and the laid back vocal approach.

g6210 - Little Wing

Always loved this song - works great on acoustic. I'd love to hear you tackle the solo in this setting - it's more straightforward than it sounds on first listen.

• Members

mrmoe - Flowing Crab

Nice, polished performance. Was this recorded through the soundboard or with a mic in the audience? There's a lot of reverb going on, but it's not all the same reverb.

C70Man - Funny Valentine

Haven't heard the Steve Goodman version. I've had several conversations with Stackabones about the little 8-7-7b-6 move in the verse - he calls it "that minor key cliche" (and yet managed to find a way to incorporate it into his VOM1T performance last month :poke:) and I refer to it as "the Stairway to Heaven riff". Anyway, nice take. My favorite version is probably from Chet Baker, but for solo acoustic guitar I'm pretty fond of the Jerry Jeff Walker version.

riffmeister - El Noi de la Mare

That's beautiful. :love:

• Members

.....thanx rsadasiv....I did not know the show was going to be recorded....had I known, I'd have given them a feed off of the mixer....I thing it was done with the mic built into the video recorder....all of that reverb is the sound of the room

• Members

Well it's been another great VOM. I loved everyones stuff. And thanks for the nice comments about my submision. Everyone did so well as usual, but I wanted to give a couple of shoutouts....

Tbryson - Loved the background vocals! Nice job.
Stackabones - A little virus and your singing the blues like a hobo in a trainyard. :) Nice
Fastblueheeler - Very cool story song. Bill keep writing cause you really are good at it!
Maggie Garza - Just the sweetest of vocals!

Hope everyone has a great Valentines. I'm taking my sweets out to dinner, and I got her a bottle of nice wine and some candy. Hopefully she'll keep me around for another year.

See you all next month!

Chris

• Members

Quee...One of the best songs ever. Nicely done.

Fend...I really liked this. Guitar sounds great!

garthman...Good Bob Dylan cover. Nice playing on the guitar.

Deepend...Real nice. A very good write. One of your best.

Kwak...Thats a beautiful song. You did good. Just a touch out of range at first but you got it.

Fatback...Nice bluesy guitar playing. Real good sound and playing.

chrisc...Beautiful playing and vocal...Really nice to listen to. Pleasant feel.

g6120...Great sounding guitar. A Martin but not sure which one...doesn't matter...Sounded great.

smebob...Great song...loved it!

Rsadasiv...Some old time jazz feel in there...Sing it out!...You got the goods!!!

• Members

. . .
DeepEnd:
Ach--not to pry, but--a tale from real life? In any case, I like how you carried this around with only a "hook" and later it became a whole song. Well-constructed, well-played. Poignant. . . .

Thankfully, no, it's not from personal experience. Around the time the song was born, I watched the music video for Toby Keith's "Big Blue Note," about a guy finding a "DearJohn letter." It had, as you can probably tell, a big influence on the final outcome.

Now for everyone else:

Queequeg - Well done. I used to do a parody version of that about a farmer and his cow called "Don't Wanna Leave That Cow." ;)

Fendouglas - Nice job.

garthman - Nice job. Can't have too much Dylan.

tbryson - Well done. I asume you did all the vocals yourself. Nice to know some of the less well-known Lennon/McCartney songs are still being performed. Can't remember the last time I heard that one.

kwakatak - I know you had some misgivings about your singing on this one but it turned out fine. Playing was first-rate as well. I hope your wife is appropriately proud. :thu:

Fatback - Cool. :cool: I can sing the Blues sometimes but not play.

chriscarnucci - Nice job. Always loved that one. As I said before, can't have too much Dylan.

Stackabones - Great. Up to your usual standard. Is that the new Epiphone Emperor Regent you're playing?

sixgunner455 - Ah! Takes me back. Nice picking. I think your guitar might have been out of tune though.

fastblueheeler - Well, it is about St. Valentine's Day. Not what most of us usually think of but still . . .

Maggie Garza - Nice job on a classic. You have a lovely voice. Watch out for that Chris Baker character though. ;)

Michael Martin - Impressive. Deep and moody as usual. Gonna have to listen to this one again.

g6120 - Well done. Actually sounds pretty good acoustic. As I've said before, you got stones to cover Hendrix but you pulled it off well.

mrmoe - Well done, sir. Both you and your Martin sonded good.

C70man - Very nicely done. Another classic standard. I like the arrangement. Sure wish I could play like that.

riffmeister - Lovely. Another "wish I could play like that."

vhypcollector - Sounded good but I'm not sure what to make of it. How many Bloody Maries did you drink, anyway? ;) Seriously, I frequently don't "get" Michael Martin's stuff either but I like it. Like yours too.

smebobberoo8675 - Nicely done. I don't recall hearing anything from you before. ?

TSMusic - Nice job. Good original.

benzem - Nice job. Gotta love classic Clapton. :thu:

BlackHatHunter - Well done. Ya can't go wrong with a Johnny Cash classic.

LeonardScraper - Great original. Well sung and played.

Danno1016 - Very well done. Great first VOM submission and welcome aboard. :wave:

Terry Allan Hall - Another great old song. Too bad about the the crowd noise.

acousticdepot - Don't be so hard on yourself. That was quite good. I'm betting your wife would agree. ;)

extollo - If that's "hacky" I'd like to be a hack someday. Great picking. Can't say I recognize the tune though.

Edit:

Frets99 - Nice job. Is that your Crafter you're playing?

• Members

cover Keeper of the Stars - Tracy Byrd

Played this at a wedding of two old friends today. But I have to admit, I looked at my wife the whole time.

Wow can't get any more immediate than that--practically "live" action! Yes guit sounded great--like that chimey FS. The recording picked up the guitar better than the voice. Cool that you got to do this at a wedding on day before valentines...

I was thinking you were playing your Wechter. But hard to see...?

• Members

Sixgunner: Hey that's one of the first songs I ever figured out by ear as well. What a great song--so many great CCR tunes. Enjoyed this. You may wanna check tab--nothing wrong at all with deviating from original, but I think you wander away from the original chording somewhere in that instrumental part (the original's intro). I'm too lazy to go pick up my guitar but when I play it, I think it goes C-A C-A C-A-G-F-D.

Fastblueheeler: Enjoyed the slideshow! And ha, somehow I wasn't thinking of gangsters when I considered the VOM theme this month. Nice little history piece.

Maggie: Welcome--don't remember hearing from you before. Nice to hear a female voice! Sweet rendition--very intimate, like you're playing it for someone sitting next to you. How appropriate for the theme...

Starrshine: Wow the guitars are gorgeous--a veritable soundscape. So much going on there, hard to even tell how many, or whether it's all guitars. Lovely. Vocals are buried tho--AND you're singing too low. I would recommend boosting vocals, and if possible change key...? If you do the latter you can sing stronger (more diaphragm).

Kujozilla: Sweet little waltzy piece! Really nicely played. But like Starrshine you should punch vocals harder--they seem tentative.

• Members
Hey everybody! Been looking forward to this since really enjoying my first VOM last month!

This was one of 3 vids I recorded during an "insomnia jam" earlier this week. My original idea was "sex and candy":) for this month but decided on this one instead, tho it may be a little tired.

I just used the camera mic so the audio is real raw. I had tried using a sm57 for the guitar mic but when it clipped I decided to give the camera audio a listen and tho it's kinda thin, it worked. I should have used my zoom H4n as the condensor mics work well but it was 3:30am and I didn't think of it.

Layla

:wave:

Looking forward to listening to all you talented folks. Thanks to Stack and all that keep this going.
:thu:

Sweet! That is a great cover, Ben.

• Members
I haven't contributed in some time, but I took the time, sat down and in true 1-take fashion put down a favorite of mine.....Funny Valentine.....It's stylized, based on Steve Goodman's version and I left it an instrumental....didn't have the time to work it out with the words. I got a little lost in the melody, but what the hay, it was a 1st take...

What a moody tune. I have heard of this song by title but am not familiar with it. Not what the title suggests! Surprisingly emotional and intricate. Well-played. Great choice for the theme...:)

Archived