VOM 37 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stackabones

• Members

Yes very bossa! A friend wants me to try to write something bossa-nova (her fave rhythm) and at first I had no idea what that even was. So THIS is how you do it. Very cool tune, sweetly played. Beautiful guit too! Something odd in the vocal recording on my end anyway--kinda warbly. It's not your singing...something distorting your voice I think.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hypcollector - Dented Landscape

Cool stream of consciousness lyrics. Not sure I followed the train of thought all the way through.

Heartstring - If You Want My Love

Nice emotive vocal. I grew up on "Live at Budokan" so I have a soft spot for Cheap Trick.

smebobberoo8675 - Soul Sister

Lol - my kids have been singing this song for months. Good job.

• Members

TSMusic - Angels March

Work that mode! All those ringing strings add a lot of energy to the accompaniment.

benzem - Layla

Cool take. I've always loved the original Derek and the Dominos version as well as Clapton's Unplugged version.

BlackHatHunter - I Still Miss Someone

Hit all the right country grace notes. :thu:

• Members
tbryson:
Really enjoy how you mess with the melody here. Not just a straight copy of the Beat Boys. And the multiple vocal tracks are quite complex--love the ooos and la- la-las! But one thought occurred: as this is one of those early Beatles songs where (in places) there's an interesting weave of Lennon and McCartney in a harmony/melody, why not harmonize with yourself? I think there would be "room" for that.

Well, easier said than done...I could always send you the track and have you sing the other part...;):) That would be interesting...as you noted I change the melody cause I can't do it right...but sometimes its ok. I have found that anything Beatles gets an extra layer of scrutiny, cause its the Beatles and I just ain't that good.

• Members

LeonardScaper - Leave a Little Mystery

Another good one Lenny. So, are you laying down tracks in a "big studio" now?

Danno1016 - Father and Son

Sweet song. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Cat Stevens.

Terry Allen Hall - Shine On

I think I like the song, but it is sort of hard to tell with the recording quality and the background noise.

• Members

extollo - dream of sky

I dug the flatpicking goodness.

Frets99 - Keeper of the Stars

Sweet and heartfelt. Best wishes to your friends.

Wow, that was a lot of music. It's really cool that this many people turn out each month and support each other. Thanks to Stackabones for keeping this running.

:wave:

• Members

Hello all, I didn't really have anything ready for the VOM this month, but I decided a couple of hours ago to throw something together.

This is my tribute to the great Gerry Rafferty. It's my version of Baker Street.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/Baker_Street.mp3

I did it on my Taylor 315 CeL and my hot rodded Turser 335 clone. I hope ya'll like it.
Not exactly a Valentine's Day song.

• Members
http://www.box.net/shared/ts57z745ka

Scrapped the new three-chord thing in favor of this other new song. It has five chords. Valentine theme! Began this as music-only last summer in Rome, wrote lyrics later, just recorded tonight. Could not find capo so had to use a pencil and rubber bands...hence the buzzy strings here and there.

One take, two simultaneously recorded tracks (vocal, Hummingbird) through AT2020 mikes into a Fostex VF80 recorder.

Love your originals Michael! Always so............. exotic, I think is the word I'm looking for.:thu:

• Members

I'm having a good time listening to you all!!! :cool::)

-----------------------------------------------------

And... petite anecdote:

Last evening, I heard a big "toc" while I was in front of my computer. I told myself; "someone dropped something outside, near the building..."

Then, I went to take a shower... Surprise! Tiles had bulged and were about to fall from the bathroom wall... I retrieved several tiles because they will just hit the bathroom, anyway. What a mess!! :(

With the weather changes we have in Quebec, Canada, if it does that to a house, I don't wan't to imagine what it can do to my guitars!! :freaks:

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank's for all the songs you posted! It's a relief to watch and listen to you all, particularly after looking at the mess in my bathroom and thinking of the reparations that will need to be done and what it will involve! (At least, If the shower is useless, I can still take baths meanwhile...) :idk:

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Starrshine: Wow the guitars are gorgeous--a veritable soundscape. So much going on there, hard to even tell how many, or whether it's all guitars. Lovely. Vocals are buried tho--AND you're singing too low. I would recommend boosting vocals, and if possible change key...? If you do the latter you can sing stronger (more diaphragm).

Michael, I tend to agree with you and the problem came in the way I recorded and had to mix down. I recorded the voice and guitar on H2 when I should have done them on the computer so voice and guitar would have been on separate tracks. I recorded the mountain dulcimer on a separate track. Every time I brought the guitar down it of course took the vocals with it. I should have started over, but it was late and mixing down to MP3 made things worse. Ah well, I tried

Bob

• Members

Bridgepin, take your song and download it to Soundclick or any other music hosting service (look through various submissions and use one that others have used) and then post that link here. I don't think you can register at the VOM Archive Site till you have done at least one VOM. Once you've done your first VOM, you can register there and take advantage of the VOM Archive Site's music hosting.

• Members

LeonardScaper - Leave a Little Mystery

Another good one Lenny. So, are you laying down tracks in a "big studio" now?

Thanks, Ram....yeah collaborating on a project (JD Leonard Band) with a friend who has......a few more toys than me. We co-write. His guitars (he can play) and my vocals.

Archived