Stackabones

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Queequeg Comments:

Greetings you all.

I'm posting early because I'm down in Australia/New Zealand the month of February without any internet access most of the time. (I wanted to check out that reverse vortex when you flush the toilets.)

But all seriousness aside, I'm diving the Great Barrier Reef in Oz and then bicycling in NZ's wine country on the South Island. Oh, and did I mention it is summer time here?

Wish I could hear you guys and what you've been up to.

See you in a couple weeks.

All the best,

-Q.

Absentee Post from:
Queequeg

Title:
Something

Credits:
George Harrison

Fendouglas Comments:

This is one of my favourite Gerry Rafferty songs (and was probably a contributing factor in the break-up of the Humblebums). Of course I don't do it justice, but I've been murdering it for nearly 40 years now and I'm submitting it this month as a small tribute to a great musician and composer.

Anyway, I'm off to Edinburgh this weekent to celebrate (!!!????!!!)my 67th Birthday and hence the early posting.

ps: It's also the first time I've used the VOM Hosting Service - Mucho Impressdo!

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
Her Father Didn't Like me Anyway

Credits:
Gerry Rafferty

garthman Comments:

From the 1978 album 'Street Legal'.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power)

Credits:
Bob Dylan

tbryson Comments:

Another Beatles attempt. I can't do em like they do of course but it is what it is. Thanks!!

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
You won't see me

Credits:
Lennon/McCartney

DeepEnd Comments:

Some years ago (maybe five), I was sitting around talking about Country music with a couple of people I worked with at the time. Someone made the comment 'You could've left it at that.' A song was born, although for a long time it was just a single verse and a chorus. I wrote a second verse last year. Not what I usually write/sing but here it is.

Absentee Post from:
DeepEnd

Title:
You Could've Left It At That

Credits:
Original

kwakatak Comments:

In honor of St Valentine's Day I'm dedicating this one to my wife Kelly. I met her shortly after the Eagles 1994 'Hell Freezes Over' reunion and this was one of my favorites from the album and whenever I hear it I think of how we were as a couple of kids from different backgrounds when we first met and how we found comfort in each others' arms.

While I love the instrumentation of this and have fun playing it, the lyrics are the reason why I like this song. They're a testament to the feelings I have for my friend, my love and my better half. I don't feel like I do them justice and the key is clearly out of my range but I sing this one from the heart and to me that's what's important regarding my rendition. What's most important is that I share the feelings regarding this song and the memories associate with them with my wife, even though I know she'd cringe at the 'pitchiness.'

Played on my Martin D-16GT with bare fingers, D'Addorio EJ17 strings in front of a Zoom H2 during a quiet moment.

Absentee Post from:
kwakatak

Title:
Love Will Keep Us Alive (Eagles cover)

Credits:
Jim Capaldi, Paul Carrack, and Peter Vale. Performed by the Eagles

fatback Comments:

Its got love in the title. Little bit of finger picking

Phil

Absentee Post from:
fatback

Title:
Love in Vain

Credits:
Robert Johnson

chriscarnucci Comments:

Hey all,

I didn't want to miss another VOM this month so I threw this together last minute. I wanted to keep to the Valentines theme so here it is flubs and all in Vom1t fashion.

Hope you all like it and I can't wait to hear everyones entries!

Happy V day
:)

Absentee Post from:
chriscarnucci

Title:
To Make You Feel My Love

Credits:
Bob Dylan

• Members

Wow, a great Valentine collection!

Nice playing Queeg! Watch out for sharks!

Never heard that song before Fendouglas, very well done and Happy Birthday!

Good job on a seldom heard Dylan tune Garthman! Changing of the Guard is another of my favorites on that album.

tbryson, sounded great. Really liked the guitar!

Deepend - Wow great job of song writing. You've got a good country voice.

kwakatak - you nailed that Eagles sound

fatback - If I could play Robert Johnson like that it's all I would play!

Chris C. - Good to hear you doing Dylan tunes! Loved it.

FussenKuh - Im not a Motley Crue fan either but that's a good song and you did a really good job on it.

• Members

http://www.box.net/shared/ts57z745ka

Scrapped the new three-chord thing in favor of this other new song. It has five chords. Valentine theme! Began this as music-only last summer in Rome, wrote lyrics later, just recorded tonight. Could not find capo so had to use a pencil and rubber bands...hence the buzzy strings here and there.

One take, two simultaneously recorded tracks (vocal, Hummingbird) through AT2020 mikes into a Fostex VF80 recorder.

Lyrics:

Gloria II

• Members

Queequeg - Enjoyed your fingerstyle rendition of this great song!

Fendouglas - Happy Birthday! Tried several times to listen...a good strat but it ended halfway on the third line "And Now She's Taken Leave Of Me...."

garthman - Enjoyed your take on this Dylan song!

tbryson - Like your comment "I can't do em like they do of course but it is what it is" - it's the way I feel when doing cover songs, especially the Beatles. Your rendition was refreshing! What a nice folk style rendition and you harmonies were great!

DeepEnd - Great song! The recording had a few glitches but your song is great!

kwakatak - This is beautiful! I think you're way too hard on yourself regarding the vocal. Sounds fantastic!! The feeling comes through.

fatback - Classic! Enjoyed this a lot!

chriscarnucci - Simply Beautiful!!

Stackabones - I like that gravelly vocal a lot!! Awesome!

• Members

I listened to a lot of Jimi Hendrix growing up (my uncle and aunt were teens in the late 1960s and had the records).

Even though his music was a big part of my life I never learned any of his songs because I figured that if I don't

have the chops I should not even attempt it. It's only recently I have decided to tackle some Hendrix but in a very

simplified way that is compatible with my skill level. I view these attempts as an "I'm Not Worthy..but I attempted

it anyway" sort of exercise.

Here's my take on Little Wing. Just learned it. I have the lyrics memorized in my head so just went for it to see what

came out:

[video=youtube;xQamql1pE3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQamql1pE3U

• Members

I haven't contributed in some time, but I took the time, sat down and in true 1-take fashion put down a favorite of mine.....Funny Valentine.....It's stylized, based on Steve Goodman's version and I left it an instrumental....didn't have the time to work it out with the words. I got a little lost in the melody, but what the hay, it was a 1st take...

Anyway, here it is....recorded with an H4 on a table top about 3' from the guitar....my Recording King...left acoustic, finger picked.

Fun to be back....

http://c70man.xanga.com/audio/8dac93958214/

• Members

....too early for alot of tabasco in my bloody mary, need to wash it down with some coffee this mornin'....submitting Dented Landscape to vom. VOM1Ted this out last week...recorded it low, so you may need to hit the volume a bit....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=10242007

Dented Landscape

cultural sensation

made up like a valentine

they all wear red

on the mexican stations

the genie's out of the bottle

bottle sits unopened

in a sack

by the cookbooks

afternoon stew

still in the fridge

office ready for appointments

purple fuzz

e harmonica

waiting for blues in a

borrowed power in el paso

near the border

houston's on the satallites

the ones sent from there

condesending smirks

from northern saltists

politics being important to them

to those with low blood pressure

rebates and gift receipts

help pending payments

roads through mountain towns

to the steep divide

power hours

twenty minutes at a time

rain boots in the snow

and thirsty dogs

dented landscape

buried alone

watched from ancient windows

near mirrors

and the unity candle

faith, love, hope all in a line

ddemg

• Members

th_Movieon2011-02-08at10222.jpg

th_Movieon2011-02-08at10222.jpg

I wanted to get in early and set the bar nice and low for you guys! Sweet one-taker, I forgot the intro, and threw in an intermission in the middle for ya. :facepalm: Get out your oilskins, the butchery starts now! Thanks (and apologies) to Cheap Trick for being there for the last 30 something years! :thu:

• Members

Decided to take a quick look to see how things are going before I start running around today... and, wow, it looks like the VOM is already off to a great start!

I listened to a lot of Jimi Hendrix growing up (my uncle and aunt were teens in the late 1960s and had the records).

Even though his music was a big part of my life I never learned any of his songs because I figured that if I don't

have the chops I should not even attempt it. It's only recently I have decided to tackle some Hendrix but in a very

simplified way that is compatible with my skill level. I view these attempts as an "I'm Not Worthy..but I attempted

it anyway" sort of exercise.

Here's my take on Little Wing. Just learned it. I have the lyrics memorized in my head so just went for it to see what

came out:

Gil, reading your post forced me delay the start of my morning for a few more minutes. And, dang, I'm glad I did. Your rendition is fantastic! I now might just have to watch it a few more times to figure out how to play your rendition for myself :thu:

• Members

Greetings. My submission for this month is titled Angels March. There are a few finger flubs but in the spirit of VOM this was a once and done take. The full orchestrated version of this has been at or close to, the No 1 spot on the Soundclick Acoustic Rock charts for the past month. Seems to be pretty popular at my regular open mic as well. Enjoy!

Tony

[video=youtube;YebPTE5w1oY]

• Members

Hey everybody! Been looking forward to this since really enjoying my first VOM last month!

This was one of 3 vids I recorded during an "insomnia jam" earlier this week. My original idea was "sex and candy":) for this month but decided on this one instead, tho it may be a little tired.

I just used the camera mic so the audio is real raw. I had tried using a sm57 for the guitar mic but when it clipped I decided to give the camera audio a listen and tho it's kinda thin, it worked. I should have used my zoom H4n as the condensor mics work well but it was 3:30am and I didn't think of it.

Layla

[video=youtube;iFNFJwtaNlg]

:wave:

Looking forward to listening to all you talented folks. Thanks to Stack and all that keep this going.:thu:

Archived