Who is your favorite acoustic guitarist?

guit30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know what it is, but I can be really obdurate (as many of you know).
I had been hearing people go on and on about Richard Thompson for years. I had listened to a bit of it, too, but it never really did anything for me.
Finally saw him in concert maybe 6 months or so ago.
I don't get it.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying he's not everything his fans say he is, but I left scratching my head wondering what all the fuss is about. That show just left me cold, and I really wanted to like him.
I hope nobody thinks I'm bashing the guy, because that's not it at all. Just wondering what I am missing that I can't appreciate somebody who is by all accounts one of the great talents of out time.

• Members

I had been hearing people go on and on about Richard Thompson for years. I had listened to a bit of it, too, but it never really did anything for me.

I don't get it.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying he's not everything his fans say he is, but I left scratching my head wondering what all the fuss is about. That show just left me cold, and I really wanted to like him.

I hope nobody thinks I'm bashing the guy, because that's not it at all. Just wondering what I am missing that I can't appreciate somebody who is by all accounts one of the great talents of out time.

It says more about you than about R. Thompson. It means you are not someone who simply jump on the bandwagon. Good for you. :thu:

• Members

I don't get it.

I think "52 Vincent" is one of the greatest recordings of all time and based on that I've really tried to like him. So far it hasn't worked.

• Members

Your "favorite" guitarists, oh my peoples.

Today my favorite guitarist is my little Brother. That guy can totally own a chart, cold. He's got that Joe Pass walking bass with comp style dialed - any key, any tempo. The first time I caught him sneaking on my guitar his reaction was, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I'll put it back!" My reaction was, "Never mind that, what the heck were you playing???" He proceeded to show me chords I'd never imagined. The guy is made out of music.
Come to think of it, scratch all of that, I hate his guts. :D

• Members

I don't get it.

Yeah. He was on a BBC show a month or so ago with Suzanne Vega and Loudon Wainright III.

IMHO Mr Thompson came bottom (Loudon Wainright won - amazing man).

PS. And I don't rate Pete Townsend very highly either.

• Members

Richard Thompson's style might be an acquired taste, but I'm always baffled by guitarists who don't get him.

Let me throw Bruce Cockburn into the mix. There are way too many I enjoy to list or rate, but I don't remember anyone mentioning him.

I met Cockburn last week. I did the load-in before the show when his bus arrived He played 2 sold out shows here but I didn't go to either of them.

• Members

I met Cockburn last week. I did the load-in before the show when his bus arrived He played 2 sold out shows here but I didn't go to either of them.

That surprises me. Any reason for not going? Every show I've seen has been stellar in different ways.