Who is your favorite acoustic guitarist?

guit30

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unknown outside of Quebec but a true master composer and player of acoustic guitar : Serge Fiori. He put out 3 albums in the 70's with a group called Harmonium :cool: If you can find this music, it is well worth a listen...a lot of 12 string guitars. The first two albums are all acoustic with no drums. And, yes, it is in French but mostly instrumental.

• Members

I'm so ignorant in this area, I'm mostly a blues/electric fan. I don't know 90% of the people mentioned here, which is good - it gives me a new direction to move in.

Originally posted by edman316

I will say that Eric Clapton probably stimulated the acoustic guitar market more than anyone in history when he did his unplugged gig on MTV.

There are tons of acoustic guitars abandoned in closets and under beds after the new owners gave up trying to learn "Tears in Heaven" and "Layla".

True. After I learned the basics of chords, EC's Unplugged CD was where I went next. Fortunately, my guitar never ended up abandoned. I can play most of the songs on that CD now.

I recently got hooked on David Gilmour's Meltdown DVD, it's mostly an unplugged thing. He does some nice acoustic work on it.

• Members
Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

These posts can be neatly divided into two groups....

Those who have seen Tommy Emmanuel.

Those who have
not
seen Tommy Emmanuel.

With a possible small sub group of those who
have
seen Tommy Emmanuel and yet did not realise they were witnessing the most amazing acoustic player ever.

*Flame ON*

This is probly the case however it creates some problems for the rest of humanity. It makes us all infurior by comparison.
Instead of the competitive-who's-better-than-who approach, I prefer the 31 Flavors approach.

• Members

Those who have
not
seen Tommy Emmanuel.

have
seen Tommy Emmanuel and yet did not realise they were witnessing the most amazing acoustic player ever.

*Flame ON*

LOL, Perfectly worded. No it's not a competition, but you see a player like Tommy and realize you're seeing a once in a lifetime player. It's like seeing Halley's Comet ;) Many folks have mastered the basic Chet style and added their own pizzazz. Tommy Emmanuel just takes it to a whole new sick level.

• Members
Originally posted by GreatestGains

LOL, Perfectly worded. No it's not a competition, but you see a player like Tommy and realize you're seeing a once in a lifetime player. It's like seeing Halley's Comet
;)
Many folks have mastered the basic Chet style and added their own pizzazz. Tommy Emmanuel just takes it to a whole new sick level.

Inspirational yet at the same time depressing.

He makes me want to play guitar and simultaneously smash the damned thing! :D

• Members

Those who have
not
seen Tommy Emmanuel.

have

*Flame ON*

You're clearly one of the people who have not seen Tomatito.
;)

• Members

Django
John Fahey
Tim Reynolds
Angelo DeBarre
Paco DeLucia
Willie Nelson (no, not in their league, but underrated and very tasteful)
Clapton (Unplugged definitely made me want to play acoustic more)
...and many more.

Right now, I'm on a Django kick. I'm listening to "Tiger Rag" in usual disbelief. So tasteful and classy.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Tommy, for sure. Jorma. Leo... absolutely. They have all been mentioned. I used to own lots of Chet vinyl years ago... and Jerry Reed was one of Chet's students. Glenn Campbell was also a great session-player turned singer... classical gas. Roy Clark kicks, too. Steve Howe should be near the top of the list.