Fox News reporting on the Gibson v. Feds

masterbuilt

• Members

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/02/gibson-feds-want-guitar-woodwork-done-by-foreign-labor/?test=latestnews

"Gibson Guitar Corp. is claiming the Obama administration wants more of its woodwork done overseas, as a bizarre battle heats up between the government and one of the country's most renowned guitar makers."

The dispute started in 2009, when federal agents raided the company over suspect wood shipments from Madagascar. Gibson took that case to court but has denounced the administration with a vengeance after agents returned late last month to raid several Gibson factories -- this time out of concern that Indian export laws had been violated."

and this further comment...

"CEO Henry Juszkiewicz claimed that the U.S. government even suggested Gibson's troubles would disappear if the company used foreign labor."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What this all boils down to is, when the Federal government can't see any way to handle the problems that REALLY need to be taken care of, they'll find something else to stick their noses into simply to justify their existence. It makes 'em feel like they're actually "doing something", I guess.

• Members

This seems like ludicrous bull{censored}. There is no mention of Madagascar rosewood except as an example of something that ought not to be purchased - Gibson does not make gits out of Madagascar rose that I am aware of. The issue seems to be ebony that is used by many other guitar makers, and that is available even to a boob nobody like little old me via teh interwebz.

How much ebony can we be talking about, anyway? The majority of Gibson gits seem to have rosewood fingerboards.

The only specific accusation I've heard is that perhaps Gibson referred to plates as "veneers." I could not possibly force myself to give a {censored}.

• Members

Compare that to NPR's coverage of the issue.

No mention of the labor issue. That would inconveniently distract from the environmental angle.

Funny... I'd say that this "labor issue" is a convenient distraction from the environmental angle.

• Members

Funny... I'd say that this "labor issue" is a convenient distraction from the environmental angle.

There is no environmental issue unless you believe the trees shouldn't be cut at all and if you do that's fine with me. Gibson is not accused of buying illegally harvested wood, they're accused of falsifying the paperwork to avoid using Indian labor to finish the product as required by Lacey. Those trees were going down, legally, no matter who finished the fretboards. It's a very interesting look into media bias in reporting. Fox is highlighting the labor issue and there's no question of their bias. NPR is biased 180 degrees away from FOX and ignoring the real violation Gibson is in trouble for. If I read only the NPR article I would believe Gibson was charged with using endangered wood that was illegally harvested. Neither outlet is reporting all the facts but I do resent the fact that my tax dollars are paying for NPR's bias.

Archived