Martin Dx1 vs. Taylor 114ce

BTR@GTRHERO

• Members

I own both. Can only keep one, reason being they are both entry level guitars for their respective brands (kinda ridiculous to own two entry-level top brand guitars, no?

feel free to suggest an upper guitar. I kinda want a short scale. really like the Taylor 312ce...

which would you keep? the martin or the taylor?

• Members

I love the martin. had her since '09. last of the made in USA ones. real worn in now. one lil minor finish check but hey, continental us flights, all over europe flights in cabin or checked in a padded road runner gig bag, she sounds and feels 100 % better than when i first got her. even with {censored}ty strings! A lot of character that hog.thats how you know they're good I guess? got the taylor 114ce because its got the electronics and mainly because its cheaper than a taylor 312ce which I really want which is $1599. I also really wanted a small bodied acoustic hence the 312, but to be honest the dx1 feels slightly smaller, body wise and scale wise in comparison to the taylor 114ce

• Members

If you're gonna get a new Taylor, my vote would be to keep the Martin (all else being equal and you like the DX1 and 114 the same). That way you still have a Martin and a Taylor.

Question though, is the Martin electrified? Do you play on stage with the Taylor? If you do play on stage with the Taylor (and if the Martin is not electrified) will you baby the 312 too much and worry about travel/performances? If so, then I might keep the 114 as my "road" guitar.

• Members

Kay, no question keeping the Martin. just too meaningful and beautifully worn in and set up. I've always used a dean markley sound hole snap on pick up for the martin. works like {censored}. thats why i got the 114ce. the 114c doesn't impress me too much coming from an entry martin

• Members

^ I'm with poppytater. I'd keep the Taylor simply because it's made of actual wood, even if it is laminated, and has binding, neither of which is true of the Martin. Here's the formula: (Formica back+sides-binding=no keep). The only thing the Martin has going for it is the name on the headstock.

• Members

^ I'm with poppytater. I'd keep the Taylor simply because it's made of actual wood, even if it is laminated, and has binding, neither of which is true of the Martin. Here's the formula: (Formica back+sides-binding=no keep). The only thing the Martin has going for it is the name on the headstock.

Correct, except Id sell the Taylor also, and get one top shelf guitar for totally acoustic playing, like a 18 or 28 series Martin, or something equal or greater to that.

Then Id purchase a good playing cheap beater and the best pickup system I could afford for stage use.

(or just watch for a good deal on a Tak).

• Members

Apples and oranges. The 114 is plywood and IMO not as nice as the Yamaha FG7xxS's. It all comes down to bracing. One sounds like a Martin the other like a Taylor.

Keeping to the question at hand the OP has made a wise decision. To that I'd add that at some point in the future upgrade the Martin as well! ;)

Archived