Music turning into work

Chordchunker

• Members

It`s been a busy-assed summer so far for the chordchunker. I played 6 hours fri, 6 hours sat, and just got done with a 4 hour gig all as a duo (fiddle/guitar) and I feel like I just roofed a house or built a stone wall..lol. Could be I`m getting older, but my Dad was wrong..Playing music feels like and tires me out just like "Real" work..

The gigs I play aren`t glorious or special, but they pay the bills and I have always told myself I would rather grind it out playing music that any thing else I can think of.

Carry on. :cool:

• Members

The only gigs I've ever done were non-paying bar gigs strictly for the fun of it, but some of those went on for hours. It was a one-time per week thing, so it's not like it wore me out. I can't imagine doing it on a regular basis, nor would I even want to. When there's money involved, there's also pressure involved. Don't need it.

• Members

I'm with you Chordchunker...Some don't get it as "work". Thank God my wife gets it though. I'm not complaining because I play for a living, but it gets old occasionally. I normally do about 15 a month in the summer. Some of those are 2 a days too. This week alone I play Wed-Sun and then turn around and have 2 days off and do Wed-Sun again. Those 6 hour gigs are something I would not touch unless I was making CRAZY money though. My voice would never hold up. I don't know if my fingers would either.

• Members

Thw "work" for me is in the prep mostly. Dealing with bandmates, schedules, practice, arguing, bickering, .....sorry, ok back on track, moving gear, setting up gear, breaking down tons of gear, booking, promoting.....

An old bandmate used to tell the band that we got paid to set up/tear down and had to play for free.

• Members

I played in band for a few years many moons ago. It was a lot of work.

Coaching travel baseball has the same effect on me at times. We played a tournament this weekend that kicked my ass. I am still exhausted today. It's a pressure cooker on many levels. It's also a lot of fun.

We will end up playing 50+ games this summer. We already played 10 and May isn't over.

• Members

I made a conscious decision to keep my music as a hobby many moons ago. I've played with a lot of bored pro musicians that have lost the love for it and I want to keep my work and passion separate. Plus I make a lot more money this way. It may have been different if I was better at music or better looking, but I like it this way.

I find gigging exhausting as anything!

• Members

I cannot say anything but this: you that do music for your main gig have my admiration and respect. I'm 55 and just getting started, but unless the unbelievable happens, it'll only be part-time, I make way more in less time selling Little Debbie cakes in the hood.

• Members

We will end up playing 50+ games this summer. We already played 10 and May isn't over.

Wow! That's a ton of games! We did travel girls soccer for two years with my daughter and we didn't come close to that number. It was grueling though and we did about 1/2 of what your kids are doing.

• Members

Wow! That's a ton of games! We did travel girls soccer for two years with my daughter and we didn't come close to that number. It was grueling though and we did about 1/2 of what your kids are doing.

Yeah, it's a lot of baseball and that doesn't include the preseason work. We started our preseason work outs on Jan. 13th (indoors - we are in Michigan). We trained 2 days per week until late March. We bumped it up to 3-4 times per week when the weather broke (we were able to get outside). In mid April we started going 4-5 days per week and played a few scrimmage games. Our season started on May 5th.

The 50+ games includes 16 league games, 24-30 tournament games and 12-16 "fall ball" games. I don't know why they call it fall ball when it starts in the beginning of August and ends mid September.

My son loves the game. He would play year round, 7 days per week if he could.

• Members

Way back when I was an art student and when I took nude figure drawing I thought I'd found my life's calling. It turns out there's not much demand for drawing people naked and those who are willing to pose aren't really worth drawing and will likely only lead to trouble.

Seriously though, I thought I could eke out a living do any kind of graphics work but I soon found out that the field was highly competitive and clients had very little appreciation for the effort it involved when you had to put their half-baked get rich quick schemes into a glitzy yet psychologically leading package.

• Members

Seriously though, I thought I could eke out a living do any kind of
graphics work
but I soon found out that the field was highly competitive and clients had very little appreciation for the effort it involved...

Same here...sucks.

I know I cant play full-time gigs forever. I'm 43 and healthy but still. I actually start summer classes tomorrow on my return 1 year trip to college to get my Bachelor's Degree. This will be a good year though at my age. I'll be gigging and going to school FT. Remind me of that when I start complaining in December about gigs and school ;)

• Members

I don't think I ever feel like I roofed a house or built a stone wall. Sometimes my fingers get sore, (esp since I don't play electric much these days) and like I've seen in other posts... sometimes the load in or load out is kind of brutal, but that part is never for 8 hours.

Music is def low pay. The gigs them selves don't usually pay too bad, but its hard to get enough in a row to make enough to make ends meet. Then folks think... gosh you play a gig for 4 hours in the evenings... that's not so bad, you could easily work a day job along with that. What most don't realize is I (like most) usually show up to a gig at least two hours before, to set-up, sound check, change cloths, and what not. Then when every one goes home, I load-out. I spend alot of time hunting down gigs,(alot of times this involves out of town trips.) Maintenence on the truck and equipment, and practice. I really try for at least two hours per day, and like six per day of practice.

All added up, what Venues are willing to pay, its hard. That part for me makes it almost like nailing a roof on a house. Roofing pays better, and I bet a roofer doesn't eat as much peanut butter as I do.

• Members

When my gigs were mostly blues/jazz it wasn`t as hard. Playing high octane bluegrass with a very hot fiddle player gets tiring. Every song is break-neck speed/balls out. After 6 hours of that I`m whooped..

I was a stonemason for 25+ years and used to work out in the sun all day and do gigs at night..Never seemed to bother me.

Maybe I`m just getting old...Not "Opa Old", but still feeling it.. :p

• Members

I have 10 gigs with my band in June, 3 acoustic shows with just my bass player, and it's not my real job. I am a LOT more exhausted after a night of playing than i ever am after a day at the real job...

Oh, i forgot to mention those 13 gigs are during 3 calendar weeks. I also have a weeks vacation coming june 10th...

Archived