Slightly OT Craigslist score! NC(ello)D

datru

• Members

I just started learning cello and had been using a rental that was less than inspiring. I found this on C List:

attachment.php?attachmentid=347765&d=134

attachment.php?attachmentid=347764&d=134

It didn't have any strings on it, but did have a bridge. Solid carved top and back, not plywood. It was 200 bucks so I took a chance (even had a nice case). I put some strings on it and it sounds very nice, not a pro instrument but a very nice student one. I have a pro-cello player friend who came by and tried it out, he was very surprised by the sound and needless to say it sounded so much better than my ability.

I read so much online that said you have to spend at least a 1000 bucks for a decent student cello, and then read so much that said they don't hold value. I figured those two things had to culminate in a deal somewhere.

• Members

The bow is the standard cheap student level bow that you see around. It's in fine shape, though I would love to see what a nicer bow feels and sounds like.

Remember, though, I'm at the "Twinkle, Twinkle" stage of learning still. I really don't think you guys want to hear clips of that!

;)

• Members
The bow is the standard cheap student level bow that you see around. It's in fine shape, though I would love to see what a nicer bow feels and sounds like.

Remember, though, I'm at the "Twinkle, Twinkle" stage of learning still. I really don't think you guys want to hear clips of that!

;)

Check some decent bow prices and be prepared for sticker shock. Judging by the price, you'd think the bow hair comes from unicorns instead of horses.

I've got a decent fiddle and it came with a very nice upgraded bow. I also have another bow that's standard student quality. At MY level of play, you wouldn't be able to hear a difference. I happen to have inside information, however, that it's not a contest.......I just do it for the amusement. That's all that really matters to me at this stage. Enjoy your new cello, datru.

• Members

I have to admit to browsing for bows online..."bow acquisition syndrome?" How does one even figure out what to buy? I imagine that a bow is a personal thing; how it feels in the hand, how it sounds with a particular cello. I wouldn't want to spend more than 150 - 200 bucks (which might be silly given my noob status). I've seen a bunch of carbon-fiber bows too, I wonder what they're like?

• Members

I have to admit to browsing for bows online..."bow acquisition syndrome?" How does one even figure out what to buy? I imagine that a bow is a personal thing; how it feels in the hand, how it sounds with a particular cello. I wouldn't want to spend more than 150 - 200 bucks (which might be silly given my noob status). I've seen a bunch of carbon-fiber bows too, I wonder what they're like?

Your cello-playing buddy would be the guy to ask...might be able to help you find a good used bow that won't require a bank loan and mortgage. Some folks really like the carbon-fiber ones.

• Members

Don't those bowed instruments have an inner bridge of sorts, that is positioned inside the instrument under the regular bridge? I'm told that it can slip out of place if you take all the tension off the strings. Might be worth checking into.

It's called the sound post, and yes, it has it in the right spot. Without one you could easily collapse the top when tuning up to full tension.

I'm planning on asking my neighbor about bows, but, in my experience, pros are often clueless about cheap stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to get an answer like "this is a nice cheap bow - it's only $1500!"

• Members

It's called the sound post, and yes, it has it in the right spot. Without one you could easily collapse the top when tuning up to full tension.

I'm planning on asking my neighbor about bows, but, in my experience, pros are often clueless about cheap stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to get an answer like "this is a nice cheap bow - it's only $1500!"

Oh, you could be so right. I bought a cheap fiddle from a college student about three years ago. He was telling me that his girl friend was a concert violinist and that her most recent violin bow cost over $4,000!! Man!! That's gotta be one hellatiously (sp?) serious violin bow!!

Anybody out there who thinks a good guitar is expensive hasn't had to pay the price of a good violin and bow! That sort of pastime can get into serious money real quick!

And, datru.....re: your cello's sound post. It might not hurt to have it checked for proper location by someone who really knows about 'em. I know, for example, on a violin, the difference of less than 1/2" can make a huge difference in sound.

Archived