Busking this weekend and got a very nice compliment

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

I woke up feeling a bit lousy on Saturday, but I went out to a local park and started to pick some blues anyway. I played my style O which tends to attract attention...

About 45 minutes in a comely lass came up and said "I know you're not playing for tips, but you really should be. Can I give you $5?" With that she peeled off a fiver and placed it in my hand.

That made my weekend. It's damn nice to have a hottie say that you should be getting paid for your playing...and kicking in no less!!

That tears it, next week, I'm bringing the tip jar!

• Members

I woke up feeling a bit lousy on Saturday, but I went out to a local park and started to pick some blues anyway. I played my style O which tends to attract attention...

About 45 minutes in a comely lass came up and said "I know you're not playing for tips, but you really should be. Can I give you $5?" With that she peeled off a fiver and placed it in my hand.

That made my weekend. It's damn nice to have a hottie say that you should be getting paid for your playing...and kicking in no less!!

Go for it. It is always nice to get validation!

• Members

:cool:

• Members

awesomeness.

• Members

Where did you say that park was?........

• Members

Where did you say that park was?........

• Members

So, is it technically busking if you aren't using a tip jar? :poke:

Fun thread!

• Members

Fun thread!

I've often wondered the same thing. And, if you have your guitar case open, you know, just to "air out" while you're playing, and someone accidentally loses some money and it falls inside of your case.........is that busking?

• Members

Fun thread!

You can use a hat, a jar, an instrument case...Jerry Jeff Walker used to have people put the $$$ in the guitar's soundhole (no idea why, though)...no set rules, AFAIK.

My favorite way, back a few romances ago (well, several, really), was my then-lady would dance around to my music, accepting contributions in her tambourine...and sometimes encourage the men to put the $$$ in her rather-ample cleavage... :p

Here's some interesting info:

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2012/05/outside-the-box-busking-tips-an-interview-with-headwater/

http://blog.discmakers.com/2011/09/taking-it-to-the-streets/

http://www.buskersadvocates.org/

http://www.ehow.com/how_2083847_get-street-performer-permit.html

• Members

I can remember two great busking moments in my past. Neither of which were intentional busking.

The first was at the foot of Ventura pier, on the rocks, 10 or 15 feet below the boardwalk. After I belted out two or three songs, I was startled by a round of applause from behind me, up on the boardwalk. There were 30+ people listening in over my shoulder. One man came down the rocks with a beer pitcher stuffed with cash donated from the audience. Better yet, he introduced himself as the manager of the nightclub at the foot of the pier and hired me on the spot for my first full-time (four days a week) solo gig.

The other was a lunch break on a college campus, with my new duo partner, while we were out looking for a club engagement. After lunch we grabbed a couple guitars and played and sang a few tunes under the trees. We attracted a small crowd, including the head of entertainment at the college and, long story short, he hires us for a concert! And, that concert led to a long string of club engagements in the area. Kinda like "super-busking" !!!

Life is like a box of chocolates

Archived