Please help me I'm falling...

Greymuzzle

• Members

Electric guitars are nasty noisy things for home use 'cos you can only get nice sounds through big tube amps that deafen your neighbours.

Or so I thought. Then Richard got a Fender Pawnshop series Greta Amp.

Look 'em up! 'bout the size of a radio with real retro style, all tube and blasting it out at one amp. Yup, one.

Sounds like it would be wimpy, but trust me it ain't. Plenty loud for at home, and sounds just like a biggie - but quieter.

Now I find myself contemplating one of these

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-custom-rosewood-neck-three-colour-sunburst

Is this late onset darkside or early onset senility?

Counsel me, people of the acoustic, advise me!

I fear that a Telecaster may just be a gateway guitar, oh woe...:confused:

• Members

Late onset darksidedness is not a bad thing. For me the gateway drug was a MexiStrat and a Peavey Classic 20 tube amp. Very true that good amp tone can come in small packages. The Peavey has no effects, no 'verb, nothing but three tone controls and dials for volume and gain. But wow, the sound you can get from it. For good bluesy tone it does help to turn it up a bit, and it had LOTS of volume for such a little guy (single 10" speaker)

Although I stopped with the Strat--bought it 4-5 yrs ago. It's all I need so far because I don't play electric anywhere near as often as acoustic. Ratio must be about 98:2.

That said, I do lust for a Tele.

Happy darkside playing!

• Members

There's no rule that says it's gotta be all or nothing with regards to acoustics & electrics.

I played mostly electrics (and electric bass) for 30 years and just over the past few have gotten to acoustic almost exclusively.

But I'll always keep and electric or two and an amp around!

Go ahead...relinquish control...resistance is futile...

• Members

You'll be fine. You'll gear up, brain down and then get back to your routine once you shake off the former. I bought the Tele and now I are an owner of one. What happens next will be on acoustic. But, every guitarist needs a Tele so you're late to the party.

• Members

I was messing with a MIM Fender Telecaster just a couple of weeks ago that belongs to a friend of mine. For no more than the MIM Fenders and Squiers cost, I have to admit they're a helluva bargain. However, I know if I bought one I'd also want to get a really nice HSC for it. Then, I'd try to play it through my old 35 watt keyboard amp, decide it sounds like crap, then go out and spend another four or five hundred on a better amplifier. Then, of course, I'd also need some of those gizmos that sit on the floor to add different sound effects. (I guess you're supposed to play those with your feet.(?) I'd probably just go ahead and get all of them, since I have no idea which ones I'd need and which ones I don't need. Might as well just buy 'em all just to cover all the bases.

Before I know it, I'd have 3 or 4 "thou" tied up in gear that the usage of which could quite possibly be too much for my old brain to comprehend and the whole mess would be worth about half what I spent on it. Since that would be a most depressing thought, I'm sure my lust for owning the new electric would've gone south and I'd be looking for a closet somewhere here in the house that has enough extra space to stash it all. Not a chance of that happening so I'd end up just redecorating our living room with all of the new shiny stuff which, I'm sure, would eventually end up with my wife of 41 years deciding the time had finally come for us to part ways.......and that would most definitely cost me a lot more than if I'd bought 10 batches of "new shiny stuff".

But, you go ahead, greymuzzle, and get that Squier if it's calling for you. That's a good price for the UK. The same guitar here, at MF, is $375. I just checked. I think I'll just keep on playing my old Yamaha and Martin acoustics and let you guys with more spare closet space buy those electric ones. Besides, everything I know how to do on an electric guitar sounds like Duane Eddy playing drunk, and, so far, I get along real good with all of my neighbors and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Members

For home noodling, you really don't need anything more than the guitar and a small amp. If it's a dece amp. Play this combo a lot before venturing into accessories.

Only extras I have are an OD pedal and a delay pedal. I don't use either very often--just occasionally for spicing up a recording.

• Members
Electric guitars are nasty noisy things for home use 'cos you can only get nice sounds through big tube amps that deafen your neighbours.

Or so I thought. Then Richard got a Fender Pawnshop series Greta Amp.

Look 'em up! 'bout the size of a radio with real retro style, all tube and blasting it out at one amp. Yup, one.

Sounds like it would be wimpy, but trust me it ain't. Plenty loud for at home, and sounds just like a biggie - but quieter.

Now I find myself contemplating one of these

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-custom-rosewood-neck-three-colour-sunburst

Is this late onset darkside or early onset senility?

Counsel me, people of the acoustic, advise me!

I fear that a Telecaster may just be a gateway guitar, oh woe...
:confused:

Only problem w/ that Tele is the rosewood fingerboard...test it against one w/ a maple 'board...you'll see The Light! ;)

Cool little amp, btw! :thu:

• Members
Only problem w/ that Tele is the rosewood fingerboard...test it against one w/ a maple 'board...you'll see The Light!
;)

Agree totally. If MIM Strats are any indication. Mine has maple, and I've played both.

Plus, maple just looks way cooler!

Here's my recording space in basement:

basement.jpg

• Members

They don`t always have to be nasty noisy things. A Tele played through a Polytone sounds like smooth butter.. I play the bridge pup with the treble rolled off slightly and I think I`m Joe Pass/George Benson/Herb Ellis/Charlie Christian, etc..

Teles make great Jazz guitars as well as being able to be noisy/nasty blues machines. That`s why I luv `em they are very versatile, plus you can throw it in the mud, drive over it with your truck and it will probably still be in tune...

• Members

I am really jonesing for a Telecaster these days. Maybe the Nashville model, or the Baja, or one of those G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy semi hollow bodies with the humbucker in the neck.

I was thinking one of those little Orange amps to start. I honestly don't know how good they sound, but they are reasonably priced and look cool. Coming from Orange, I'm guessing they'd sound pretty good.

I honestly don't know when I'd get much use out of it, though. Maybe when I eventually start a full band.

• Members
There's no rule that says it's gotta be all or nothing with regards to acoustics & electrics.

I played mostly electrics (and electric bass) for 30 years and just over the past few have gotten to acoustic almost exclusively.

But I'll always keep and electric or two and an amp around!

Go ahead...relinquish control...resistance is futile...

Yes, there IS a rule! Don't ask, don't tell. ;)

Archived