Another exciting gig...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Today, being the last Sunday of the month, I was at one of my "regular" nursing home gigs (been doing this one for about 7 years), and the Activity Director called me this morning to let me know that he'd be out and might not return before I finished, but that his new assistant would have my check...no problem.

I get there, set up my Limo 50, mic and stand and am getting tuned up when his new assistant came in...first thing she demanded was top see a list of the songs I'd planned to do...I explained that, asa a general rule, I let the folks request songs, as, after 7 years, most of the long-time residents had particular tunes they'd like to hear...no (she said), that just won't due because these old folks were too old and senile to know what was good for them! :eek:

I pointed out that most of these folks were still sharp as a tack, and, besides, who are we to tell folks that have been on this earth 4X longer that she has (and almost 2X longer than I have) what they may or may not hear, and, besides, I only do "family friendly" tunes at these gigs?

She then explained that if "Jesus were to call them home in the middle of an inappropriate song, what would He think?"...

By this time I was wondering just where the AD found this assistant, and if she came with restraints, but we discussed tunes that weren't likely to send anyone to the Fiery Pit (Rambling Rose, Georgia On My Mind, Ain't Misbehavin', and Chattanooga Choo-choo just barely passed approval! :rolleyes: ) and I finally got to start the show...15 minutes late.

Things went smoothly until one old gentleman called out for "Whiskey Before Breakfast"...as I started flatpicking the melody, I looked over at her and she agitatedly giving me the "cut throat" gesture, but I proceeded to play and sing it...when I get to the chorus

"Saints preserve us

Lord protect us,

We been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast!"

the entire room belted it out with me, and sang along every time the chorus, as always...the Assistant was furious!

Played the rest of the hour, and as I was sticking my gear back into the gig bags, she told she needed to speak with me before I left...

Went down to the AD's office, whereupon she explained how I was never to come around again, and, if absolutely neccessary, she'd see that a restraining order was issued against me! :eek:

Along about then, the AD walked it, and caught her screaming all this...he asked "What's going on?", and she explained my transgressions. The AD explained to her that I'd been coming in, once a month, for long before he'd started working there, and that I was a favorite among the residents, and asked just what songs were upsetting her so? She explained that I sang a song encouraging the residents to drink strong beverages!

The AD then pointed out that everyone there well over the legal drinking age and that if the song I sang encouraged the residents to drink strong beverages, they had every right to do, if they could get someone to make a delivery! :p

She turned bright red, and asked "what would Jesus think if one of them were "called home" in the middle of a song about whiskey"? The AD opined that Jesus was a pretty good sport and probably wouldn't be all that concerned... :)

At that point, she explained that maybe she just couldn't work among such sin and moral degradation (her exact words :p), and the AD agreed that she might want to reconsider this line of work, as the residents have a right to enjoy themselves...and then she stomped out.

As the AD was handing me my check, he commented "Don't yet know exactly what happened, but she strikes me as awfully high-strung...see you next month". :lol:

• Members

Great Story Terry. You handled it well. Sadly, burning a witch is now frowned upon in most States. Much the pity.

I only played a nursing home once, as a "test-fire" of a new six piece acoustic group I was in. The lesson I took away from that performance was to NEVER play another nursing home after the evening Meds have been dispensed !!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
:bor:
Paul

• Members

Good for you, Terry, and for the AD, too. Sounds like the young lady was given what she thought was a barrelful of authority, but she only had a thimbleful of brains to go along with it. I sorta doubt that you'll even see her next month.

By the way, my daughter-in-law has been the activities director at a very nice senior citizen home here in the Columbus area for about 5 years now. I'm going to relate your story to her. I'm sure she'll get a big kick out of it. They have outside musicians who come in every week for the old folk. I know there have been some that weren't called back, but it was never due to the songs they played.......it always had to do with the quality of the performance and how well they were received by the residents. There's one man & wife team that both play guitar and sing that are there on a regular basis.......every month. It's not a bad gig either.......they get $250 for a one-hour performance. I go back a few years........Hell, I can remember when $250 was a good weekly salary!

• Members
Not like that at all...you were likely booked too late in the evening (honestly, any time after 7pm, as a rule)...they tend to be much more lively around 2:30.
:)

I very much enjoy performing at them...Always a happy audience.

Want me to see if that Assistant is single? The two of you might have a future!
;)

oh, now you're just being mean. :lol:

• Members
Not like that at all...you were likely booked too late in the evening (honestly, any time after 7pm, as a rule)...they tend to be much more lively around 2:30.

Yeh, I'm sure afternoon would have worked out fine. I don't remember why were were scheduled in the evening, but we laughed about it for years.:lol:

Paul

• Members

I love playing for seniors (especially since I'm pretty much one myself...turning 60 in March). I have a gig coming up on Sunday at the local senior center. Oldies trio, one hour, middle of the afternoon, $100/man. And the audience is so appreciative. When I put on the plastic Elvis wig and sing "Hound Dog", about half of the ladies get up and dance.

I've told the story before about an administrator telling us to keep the tempo slow because she felt we shouldn't stir up the patrons. After the third slow song, one of the ladies in the audience told me to speed it up. "We're old, but we're not dead yet."

• Members

The AD called earlier today, after getting more details, and apologized to me and promised that that sort of thing will never happen again, and that he has "recommended" that she work in the comptroller office, at a sister nursing home...seems that the residents were seriously bending his ear about her, too... :lol:

In about 30 years of appearing at nursing homes and senior centers, this is only the 2nd time I've experienced an "excessively religeous" individual wanting to shelter the elders from temptation and sin. That incident was about 1987, as I recall.

So, I'm probably safe until it's time to move in, myself! ;)

• Members

I've told the story before about an administrator telling us to keep the tempo slow because she felt we shouldn't stir up the patrons. After the third slow song, one of the ladies in the audience told me to speed it up. "We're old, but we're not dead yet."

Hilarious:lol:

• Members

Funny thing! I just finished watching a tv news story on how old music on iPods is being used as memory treatment for Alzheimer's patients in local nursing homes, with impressive results. (talk about perfect timing)

It would appear that I am actually self-medicating.:lol:

Perhaps we should call Terry, "Dr. Hall" from now on? Keep up the good work !
:thu:
Coincidence? I think not

• Members
Funny thing! I just finished watching a tv news story on how old music on iPods is being used as memory treatment for Alzheimer's patients in local nursing homes, with impressive results. (talk about perfect timing)

It would appear that I am actually self-medicating.:lol:

Perhaps we should call Terry, "Dr. Hall" from now on? Keep up the good work !
:thu:
Coincidence? I think not

• Members
I pointed out that most of these folks were still sharp as a tack, and, besides, who are we to tell folks that have been on this earth 4X longer that she has
(and almost 2X longer than I have)
what they may or may not hear, and, besides, I only do "family friendly" tunes at these gigs?

Terry,

Your story was pretty believable up until this quote. I mean, come on, nobody is THAT old!! :poke:

:p:lol:

Archived