Martin consistency - safe to oder?

vman4639

• Members

I am looking to add a Dreadnought to the stable. I played a couple and seem to be drawn to the Martin HD28V. The local shop near me sold the one they had a month ago but said they could order one for me - should arrive in less than a week.

The price is very good - much cheaper than GC, but GC is not too far away and has one.

My options are to go ahead and order it or just ask GC to price match. I like the idea of buying the actual guitar I am listening to and have nothing against GC, but I also like the idea of getting something brand new that hasn't been pawed over for 2 months - plus I like supporting the little guy when I can.

Two questions:
1. Is it safe to trust the consistency of tone / sound when ordering a Martin HD28V? Or is there too much variance to make this a good idea?

2. Do larger retailers like GC get 'better' guitars? Meaning, do you think Martin realizes where their volume is and make sure to send the more perfect specimens to ~their~ best customers?

thanks!

• Members

1. To a large extent, yes, Martin's consistency is excellent, especially on the standard models you are looking at. That said, there will be some variation in tone. Determining the tonal qualities of wood is not an exact science. There will be some variations that are impossible for a mass producer like Martin to predict. IMO, they are minor. Also, there is some validity to the thought that a new guitar will lack some of the subtle tonal qualities of an older more "played in" guitar. The tone of a new guitar will need time and playing to mature. IMO, this is also minor. YMMV. Depends on your expectations and how picky you are.

2. No. GC and other big retailers do not get "better guitars." QC is the same for every guitar that leaves the Martin factories. Note that CFM has made special models exclusively for the big retailers on occasion, but they are clearly identifiable as such. Better or worse? Your judgement is as good as mine on that.

• Members

*ahem*

http://www.maurysmusic.com/we_beat_t...martin_guitars

They're one of the biggest dealers with a solid rep - and they're just a couple of miles from the factory. I'd never buy from GC without being properly educated. Just know that Martins come with cases and a lifetime warranty for the original owner, so if they try to charge extra for the case or talk you into an "extended warranty" don't let them talk you into it.

BTW, Martin has been known to make a dog or two. In fact, the vaunted D-18 was just redesigned because it was consistently canine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
*ahem*

http://www.maurysmusic.com/we_beat_t...martin_guitars

They're one of the biggest dealers with a solid rep - and they're just a couple of miles from the factory. I'd never buy from GC without being properly educated. Just know that Martins come with cases and a lifetime warranty for the original owner, so if they try to charge extra for the case or talk you into an "extended warranty" don't let them talk you into it.

BTW, Martin has been known to make a dog or two. In fact, the vaunted D-18 was just redesigned because it was consistently canine.
This is true, and I don't think it was just the plain ol' D-18. A friend of mine bought a new D-18A a couple of years ago and, if you close your eyes, you can hardly tell any difference in his D-18A than my DM! Sure didn't sound like a $5800 guitar to me! And, BTW, I'm not the only one who noticed it either. We both had new strings and the guy knows what he's doing on the guitar, so I can only blame the sound he was getting on the guitar itself. Or...maybe he just got one of the dogs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Opa John View Post
This is true, and I don't think it was just the plain ol' D-18. A friend of mine bought a new D-18A a couple of years ago and, if you close your eyes, you can hardly tell any difference in his D-18A than my DM! Sure didn't sound like a $5800 guitar to me! And, BTW, I'm not the only one who noticed it either. We both had new strings and the guy knows what he's doing on the guitar, so I can only blame the sound he was getting on the guitar itself. Or...maybe he just got one of the dogs.
Nah the plain jane "modern" (pre-2012) D-18 was fugly. I actually chose my D-16GT over it. The higher ups at Martin even knew it and changed it up by forward-shifting the bracing and putting the new performance series neck on it. Now they're very similar to the D-18GE. Of course, there's also a short scale version of the D-18 out too.

Opa, your DM is something to treasure. They did something right with those. I have no idea why they discontinued them because the X and 1 series don't hold a candle to them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
...BTW, Martin has been known to make a dog or two. In fact, the vaunted D-18 was just redesigned because it was consistently canine.
*Ahem.*
The D-18 is a dog? freak.gif ... Really??? icon_lol.gif

The D-18 was redesigned because it wasn't selling. At nearly the same price as the D-28, no one was motivated to buy it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend. View Post
*Ahem.*
The D-18 is a dog? freak.gif ... Really??? icon_lol.gif

The D-18 was redesigned because it wasn't selling. At nearly the same price as the D-28, no one was motivated to buy it.
Well, it's just my opinion to be frank but there was one at the local mom & pop shop for the longest time and I got to A/B it against the D-16GT that I eventually purchased. They now have a D-18GE and I'm still comfortable with my decision. I actually prefer the Richlite fretboard over the rosewood one on the 18's as well.

BTW, to be fair I think that Guitar Center does have good guitars and the MMV's, DSR, DSM and Custom D models there give the Standard and Vintage series Martins a run for their money.

Sorry to hijack though, I did happen to try a HD-28V at Guitar Center and it was pretty nice. I still prefer the 35's - but not by much. The HD-28V was certainly louder than the regular HD-28's but more "focused" than the D-35 that was my favorite.

• Members

D-18 a dog???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif If that's the case, there's a lot of dogs out there being used professionally by a lot of top-grade entertainers. Not to mention revered and respected for their tone and craftsmanship! I'd take one of those dogs anytime! wink.gif And Fretfiend is right, it was numbers not quality. They just sent the dog out to the groomers for a little 'fluff-and-buff'. thumb.gif

• Members

As others have mentioned, Martin has the same QC guidelines on any given model regardless of where it may eventually be shipped and sold. Any guitar that has been sitting in a shop for a while is subject to the humidity (or lack thereof) in that particular shop and any other standard good sense care taking. I have found guitars that were probably great instruments in the beginning but had been in a shop so long that bad things were happening to them.

Assuming most here agree that a new Martin model XXX or a Taylor model YYY are pretty consistent when they leave the factory, it begs the question......no, I won't highjack this thread. I'll ask the question in a new post.

• Members

I would not be in the least hesitant. Martins are some of the most consistant guitars made.
Order it and support your mom & pop. Screw GC.
Fretfiend is correct tho, you can't predict wood. But Martin does it better or as good as anybody.

Not to say that if you were to compare a doz brand new HD28Vs all with new strings, there would not be one or two that were outstanding above the others, but that's just luck of the draw. Nothing to do with Martin, that's just the majic and mystery of wood.
But they would all be excellent. I would'nt worry in the least about ordering one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo View Post
I don't think Martin's building quality is any less consistent than anyone else....but wood varies in its properties to the point that I would never buy any acoustic guitar sight unseen.
I have to agree 100% !!

I try not to speak in absolutes, but so far, I've never felt compelled to purchase a guitar, acoustic or electric, unless I've auditioned it personally. But that's just me ....

Paul

• Members

To be able to have a truly scientific test, a person would always have to have a brand new set of the same strings by the same manufacturer and using the same pick every time the guitar was compared. It would also have to be in the same room. All of these things affect the sound in a large way.

• Members

If you have the opportunity to go somewhere with a large selection of Martins in your price range and play a bunch of them of course, do it.
Not everybody lives anywhere near or has the extra funds to travel to a large well stocked dealer.
If you can't do that, I wouldn't worry too much.
Odds are very good you'll be happy anyway.

• Members

So - best outcome possible. I go back to GC and am just not falling in love with the Guitar. I like the low end, but the highs are only ok resulting in some muddy-ness. But overall all I do really like it. Priced at $3299. I was told Black Friday discount would be 15% off. I went to Sam Ash and was not treated well. So, back to the Mom and Pop to see what else they had. Low and behold they got a new HD28V in yesterday. I played it and was blown away - lived up to the hype. Priced at $2669 - below GC even with Black Friday discount.

I had my cousin with me (in for Thanksgiving) who wants to start playing guitar, and since I bought an "expensive Martin" they gave him the employee discount on his new electric - $75 off a $349 Tele. Threw in new strings and did a quick set up.

So I got the guitar I wanted at a good price, supported local shop, and helped out my cousin (bought him a small amp too :-)). It was a good day.

Stay tuned for a NGD thread soon!

Archived