Today was one of the toughest gigs I've ever done...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Terry, FWIW I know you're not a big believer in Christianity or anything but now even more than ever when I see yer picture I imagine it's Sandy Claws in a cowboy hat and lambskin leggings. wink.gif

I practice a religeon that was ancient when Christianity was still new...otoh, it was 112F today, so no lambskin leggings for me (I'd run about buck-assed naked if I could get away w/ it, these days! wink.gif)

BTW, did you ever hear if they caught the monster who did this to this poor innocent child?

He was in jail before the little dude passed, for attemptedc murder, which was then upped to Mu8rder One...I understand he stands trial sometime about December, unless his lawyer can come up w/ yet another reason to stall.
Still hard to think about the whole thing...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

{censored}, I know this is an unearthed old thread but I couldn't not add a few words to what everyone else has said. I was so moved by your story Terry, there really are no sufficient words but its people like you and acts like that which heal this world. What you did was important, God bless you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by C70man View Post
TAH, Now that's it been a year or so...any reflections on that day? Just wondering if it inspired any new music or the way you play your music.
Still haven't found the right words to put it all into a song (been more than a few failed attempts, so far), but have gone back a few more times (about every 3-4 months) to play for the young folks. It's a pleasure to bring a little fun into their day.

And I think often of, and am humbled by, that youngster's quiet courage and deep, abiding faith...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Still haven't found the right words to put it all into a song (been more than a few failed attempts, so far), but have gone back a few more times (about every 3-4 months) to play for the young folks. It's a pleasure to bring a little fun into their day.

And I think often of, and am humbled by, that youngster's quiet courage and deep, abiding faith...
kids *get it*. love.gifthumb.gif

Matthew 18:3
Then he said, "I tell you with certainty, unless you change and become like little children, you will never get into the kingdom of heaven.
International Standard Version (

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
was asked recently if I could work in playing a show at FW's Cook's Children's Hospital, and I agreed...well, today was the day.

Started out like a normal gig, basically replacing "grown-up Family-friendly" tunes with more kid-oriented songs...we had a lot of fun, I got the kids, most of whom are recovering from various maladies, to sing along and all that fun stuff, and before I knew it, the hour was over, so I was putting everything away when one of the nurses told me that some of the kids were still too ill to come out into the cafeteria, where I held the show, and might I have time to visit their rooms and play them a few tunes, too?

Of course, I did (heck, I was already there) and had no pressing need to be anywhere for another couple of hours, so I stuck my Limo, mic stand and guitar's case out of the way and followed her down to the individual rooms.

Most of them were very happy to see me and I sang 'em each a couple tunes, and had them sing w/ me on a couple more...lotsa fun.

Until the last room...the nurse stopped me and explained that I might want to blow this one off, as the young (7 or 8 yoa) boy was pretty difficult to look at, as his mother's abusive (now ex-) boyfriend, as a parting gift when she broke off their relationship, had doused him w/ gasoline and set him on fire! eek.gif

I told the nurse, no, if he wanted some music, I'd share some with him, too, no reason to treat him any different...she again asked, "Are you sure? It's hard to look at what's left of his face!" but I told her it'd be Ok...

Peeps, it wasn't...I've never seen anyone who'd been burned that badly and lived, and it was very difficult to sing and smile and clown around all the while looking at the handiwork of some sick monster (not a believer in the Death Penalty, but I might could be persuaded in this case!)...the hardest part was that, when I was finished, the little fellow and his mom sweetly thanked me for coming by and visiting him, as he got so few visiters but it was OK, because he knew he'd soon be in Heaven with the angels...I told him that that was no way to talk, that I was sure he'd be home and going to a Rangers game in no time. He just sweetly smiled again and assured me that from Heaven he'd have a great view.

Then he laid back closed his eyes...and the meters wen't flat.

At first, it just didn't connect in my mind what was going on, but the same nurse came in and thanked me, saying that they'd been expecting him to pass for a few days, but that because all the other kids were so excited about there being some live music, that he'd declared that he'd hang around at least that long...

I cried all the way home on my hour-long drive, and I'll marvel at that little boy's calm courage for a very long time.
I'm crying now, man.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Nothing about it in the Houston Chronicle.idn_smilie.gif

http://www.chron.com/search/?action=...acet=1&page=36
The Cook's Children's hospital serves 90 counties in Texas and additional emergency referrals from all over the southwest. Last time a looked that is a pretty big area. Just because it wasn't noted there in the time frame or within the parameters you identify in your search is absolutely meaningless.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by recordingtrack1 View Post
The Cook's Children's hospital serves 90 counties in Texas and additional emergency referrals from all over the southwest. Last time a looked that is a pretty big area. Just because it wasn't noted there in the time frame or within the parameters you identify in your search is absolutely meaningless.

I doubt it...if the story is true and the kid died...it would be all over the news.

• 2 months later...

Archived