In Memorium To The Little Ones.....

Opa John

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by valentsgrif

View Post

I've resisted opening this thread for a week because I'm sick of the never ending news coverage of the funerals and perp's biography. I didn't need more morbid, navel gazing voyeuristic stories. Any childs death is tragic, but the nonstop attention is "over the top" exploitation by the media and politicians. I believe that this attention will foster the killing impulse in some future mental defective who also wishes to obtain immortality and impose pain on society.

Having seen how this well intentioned thread has de-evolved, I'll add a few sinkers of my own. Every statistic cited so far, comparing and contrasting this versus that regarding gun deaths is useless. Simply put, these comparisons fail to take in to account the lives saved by the private ownership of firearms in America.

The defensive use of firearms is routinely overlooked. Why? Because most self defense use occur without the firing of a single shot! And the incident rarely if ever makes any police or FBI statistic because of this factor. When the jewler in a store in a bad neighborhood conducts his business with a pistol on his hip, the potential assailants who bypass this armed citizen as a victim are not counted. Just the mere presence of the weapon deterred an event without a stat. An woman who arms herself with a gun in addition to a protective order is able to let her stalker know that she will not be a victim and if her sociopath ex boyfried refrains from attacking her- no stat. If I run off someone who is breaking into my garage, there's no body, no stat. So the lives saved are not ready calculated.

It has been reported that annual US gun defense uses amount in the hundreds of thousands, out pacing murders by multiples of eight to tenfold. Even self defense uses where there is a shot fired by the good guy rarely get the press exposure that the criminal shootings bring. Just last week, days after the Newton shooting, a home invasion by three perpsin California was repelled by the homeowner. He shot all of them.http://www.news10.net/news/article/2...t-neighborhood Such an incident received little to no national coverage, apart from circulation in progun blogs. The press rarely reports these incidents the way they do the heartless tragedies, usually confining self defense shootings to two inch reports on page 23 under "police blotter". So the impression is that guns arn't useful for self preservation and that we are awash in criminal attacks. The actual cost-benefit ratio falls way on the side of privately owned, citizen held firearms.http://home.uchicago.edu/~ludwigj/pa...fense_2000.pdf

What a sad point of view; first, "being annoyed" at the coverage of this savage act. So much for doing something in memory of these poor little kids. Just shrug them pff,,,,,just another "annoyance".

Home defense???? What a bull{censored} line that is. Statistics clearly show, that you are 22 times more likely to kill or wound a family member, than using a gun against an intruder.

Lemme tell you a little story about a guy from work; This guy, a young family man, shot and killed a young man who had broken into his basement. The kid he killed was unarmed. His life was never the same after that event, His life became a nightmare of personal guilt, and,,,,, major legal issues and espenses. Those who think it's a simple act of "self-defense" are kidding themselves, and have undoubtedly never experienced this kind of situation.

First off, when you're armed, you don't have a license to kill. There is an expectation of "using reasonable force", and nothing beyond that. This is not a frikkin' cowboy movie,,,, it's a human life, no matter how that may be an inconvenience to some. Vigilantism is against the law, and, you could be charged with murder, if you use "excessive force".

Getting back to my colleague, despite the huge legal costs, this guy walked around in a daze for years. He was so shocked at having taken a life, that he just couldn't handle it. He was haunted by the possibility that he over-reacted.

I'm also reminded of a story that occurred a few years ago, when three college students got lost somewhere in the deep south. (Alabama??) They stopped the car, and one of the students knocked on a farm-house door, in the hopes of getting directions. The occupant of the house fired his shotgun through the door, and blew that kids' face off. Welcome to the land of "responsible" gun-owners. What a statement this makes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poppytater

View Post

No feud here and no disrespect meant to FF, I talk the same way to Samilyn or any other female here. That said, I do not like her constant harping and her smarmy put downs of anyone she does not agree with.

If you call most any man a female to his face, you'll usually get more than a smarmy put down, dumbass. Take your "meant no disrespect" bull{censored} and stick it up your ass.

• Members

^You posted a picture of a female on a deck playing guitar and said it was you. I did a double-double take, first because I had always thought you were a guy, second because the female in the picture looked a lot like my older sister, right down to the hat she wears berry picking with her partner. If that was not you in the picture, why did you say it was?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.

View Post

If you call most any man a female to his face, you'll usually get more than a smarmy put down, dumbass. Take your "meant no disrespect" bull{censored} and stick it up your ass.

Why do you feel like being thought a female is a put-down? Do you have a lit bit of misogyny in your psyche? Judging from that pic and your "constantly on the rag" persona, it obviously could be an honest mistake.

A man who is secure in his masculinity would just shrug it off with a chuckle. idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

Why do you feel like being thought a female is a put-down? Do you have a lit bit of misogyny in your psyche? Judging from that pic and your "constantly on the rag" persona, it obviously could be an honest mistake.

A man who is secure in his masculinity would just shrug it off with a chuckle. idea.gif

Always looking for a cheap shot, TAH? Perhaps you like being called female? smile.gif I'm sure someone in the PP needs insulting worse than I do. idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

smile.gificon_lol.gifthumb.gificon_lol.gifsmile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by acousticdepot

View Post

Really? You think this is a picture of a woman? Wow.

Well, in Poppy's defense.... not saying it IS so, but.. well.. a photo like the one FF took probably ain't his best.. it's probably the chin strap, clean shaven, smooth armed, baggy around the boobs thing goin' on that gives him that "either/or" sort of look.

Remember Pat? FF's photo is pretty non-specific. Lot's of non specifics going on there is all. (though I don't mistake him for female smile.gif )

pat2-742146.jpg

Archived