Yamaha FG335, how old is it?

Zombie1

• 1 year later...
  • Members

purchased one in 1980 for $179 australian dollars and still got it. like a fine wine, gets better with age. i pulled it out of the archives so my 12 year old son could learn but sorry son dad's BACK! get your own

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I too have a Yamaha FG-335 from the late 70's. I bought it back in high school and have loved it ever since. I have dragged it through all kinds of situations (good times/bad times). It may be beat up looking but it sounds just as good as ever... even better! So, now all these years later I'm starting to take stock of what I have and look back on things. Many years ago I was goofy enough to put a sticker inside the guitar... right on top of the label. I guess I thought it would look cool or something. At some point I tore off the sticker and unfortunately some of the label came off with it. That didn't really bother me at the time but now I wish I was able to read the label a little better. It's definitely a FG-335 but what I can't see is the serial number., Also, does anyone know what the "MN" stamp on the right side of label stands for? I've searched on-line for photos of these FG-335 labels and of the few I could find that area of the label was just a blank line.

Any ideas?

IMG_1229.jpg

• Members

This thread was:

Originated in '05.

Resurrected in '08.

Resurrected again in '09.

Resurrected again in '10.

Resurrected again in '11.

And now, resurrected again in '11.

I think in a couple of years, I'll resurrect it again. :lol:

Dontcha think it's interesting that the thread originator was Zombie1? :freak:

• Members

This thread was:

Originated in '05.

Resurrected in '08.

Resurrected again in '11.

And now, resurrected again in '11.

I think in a couple of years, I'll resurrect it again.
:lol:

Dontcha think it's interesting that the thread originator was Zombie1?
:freak:

Well, it is getting on towards Halloween! :lol:

• Like 1

• Members

I too have a Yamaha FG-335 from the late 70's. Also, does anyone know what the "MN" stamp on the right side of label stands for? I've searched on-line for photos of these FG-335 labels and of the few I could find that area of the label was just a blank line.

Any ideas?

IMG_1229.jpg

I'm only guessing. MN = Mahogany, Natural finish? Like I said......just guessing.

• Members

Well I'll keep this undead thread going.

No I don't have a 335 but I do have an FG 336SB. Now Yamaha seems to be a little schizophrenic about there numbering so I checked both numbers on Guitarchive. Identical specs and years of manufature. Why didn't they just call it a 335SB instead of wasting another number. Strange.

And the 336 is also a nice sounding instrument

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Just bought a excellent condition Yammy FG 335 at an Arkansas Pawn shop for 90 buucks. Just got a new set up and a custom bone nut and 80/20 11 's to see if I can brighten up the warm tone a bit. I use my guitars for pop studio recordings, so I can benefit from a brighter tone. What do you guys think ?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I couldn't resist resurrecting this thread... I have a Yamaha FG335 from 1977 that belonged to a friend from new for a while before he left it at my house and we've kind of agreed its been mine ever since. I have gigged with it on and off all that time and it has just played on regardless. I currently string it with Rotosound phosphor bronze 12s and it sounds wonderful. I had it professionally set up with a new nut and the saddle replaced just over a year ago. I also added a DiMarzio sound hole pickup. This guitar just continues to deliver 36+ years on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I bought an FG 335 in a boot sale in the South-east of England more than 30 years ago. It had no strings was full of dead leaves and had been left out in the rain I think. I paid £20 for it and restrung it and it has been a great guitar ever since. I now live in France and I've now given it to my grandson but whenever I go touring it goes with me as a great traveling instrument because it is so well built. It has been to all round Europe to Holland, Belgium Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Germany and Austria. A couple of years ago it went down through Spain and Morocco, Western Sahara and Mauritania to Senegal where it sprung a peg while playing with some guys we met near Dacca. It went on to the Gambia where I manufactured a peg from a bit of hardwood I found on a campsite and the peg is still there as a souvenir. It now lives with my grandson in a French boulangerie and I play it every time I'm there to help serve in the shop. It improves with age and compares very well with all my other guitars and was certainly built to last. For £20 who needs more!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

The venerable Yamaha 335. I first got it as payment for a drawing I made back in the early 90's from a friend who said she got it in the 80s. I went on a GAS craze and sold it for almost nothing. 8 years later the dude I sold it to was selling it. I bought it restrung it and was floored how good it sounded, I mean it sound just as good as my Martin D15 or Guild D25. So I have gone full circle and will never part with my Yammy.

• Members

Here's the scorecard so far.

This thread was:

Originated in '05.

Resurrected in '08.

Resurrected again in early '11.

Resurrected again in late '11.

Resurrected again in '14.

Resurrected again in early '16.

And now it is resurrected once more here in late '16.

Zombie1 would be proud. :facepalm:

• Members
[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31819577[/ATTACH]

This. Classy, tasteful, poignant, benign, entertaining, charming, disarming and no one but Sean Bean can pull it off. It took 11 years to perfect but this is the meme-for-the-theme extraordinaire. Well done, well done. Perks me up having read that Terry Jones has dementia (for real this time).

• 6 months later...
  • Members

A google search on my Yamaha FG335 lead me to this amusing thread. It's been fun to see the reaction to the post never dying much like the guitar I suppose. I signed up with the purpose of letting it live.

My grandfather gave this guitar to me 6 or so years ago. He got it from his best friend after he passed away in the late 80's. Lots of memories tied up in this thing. Still sounds beautiful and still holds cigarette smoke from the 80's.