Yamaha FG335, how old is it?

Zombie1

• Moderators
On 8/27/2020 at 9:04 AM, firenze viola said:

I bought this guitar with my first salary, I played it for two or three years, then I put it in its case. Now, after 39 years, nine months ago, I started to play it again! I love its sound! But, please give me an advice. After a so long period which works would be better to do on it?

new strings first and foremost...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sometime in the late 90s I took a guitar-playing friend to a music store and made him play every guitar in the bargain bin. I was planning to spend $100 but I went home with an FG335 for $50, because he said it was the best thing on the rack.

I played it forever, but it's been untouched for 5 or so years, as I mostly play 12 string these days.

Broke it out the other night. The frets are worn and the intonation is atrocious, but it sounds wonderful.

I'll never be able to compare it to guitars that cost more than a car (because I don't want to be That Guy who has guitars that cost more than a car), but it is clearly my best guitar when your rate them by dividing cost by sound! ;)

• Members
On 10/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, jetsam said:

Sometime in the late 90s I took a guitar-playing friend to a music store and made him play every guitar in the bargain bin. I was planning to spend $100 but I went home with an FG335 for $50, because he said it was the best thing on the rack.

I played it forever, but it's been untouched for 5 or so years, as I mostly play 12 string these days.

Broke it out the other night. The frets are worn and the intonation is atrocious, but it sounds wonderful.

I'll never be able to compare it to guitars that cost more than a car (because I don't want to be That Guy who has guitars that cost more than a car), but it is clearly my best guitar when your rate them by dividing cost by sound! ;)

Who are you, and why did you wake me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

What a thread. Like many others I came across it when searching for information on the FG335

I bought my FG335 back in 76 and still have it, although it's had the strings changed a couple of times it's still as original as Triggers broom (UK readers only may get that one).

I bought it from a music shop in London as I was off to work in Nigeria and wanted a guitar to take with me that had a reasonable sound but that wouldn't cost the earth in case it got damaged or warped in the climate.

44 years and many miles later it still plays and sounds great. 

WHo knows, given the time this thread has been going it may well go on for another 20 or 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Another one who stumbled upon this post seeking info on an FG 335...

I was recently given this guitar by a family member who purchased it back in 1977.  The guitar was in decent condition and had apparently been stashed away for decades—the case practically disintegrated when opening it, tuners frozen up etc. it was definitely in need of work.

I took it on as a project replacing the tuners with Grover vintage open backs, installed a K&K mini pickup in the bridge and bought a new Yamaha case. I then took it to the guitar tech for setup and strings.  He did the best he could to avoid a full neck reset.  The action is still a little high after the 8th fret but overall sounds nice.  I ended up investing about $200 and debating on taking it back for a reset.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Gosh what beautiful sound this thing has. I got mine at a Goodwill store for $40 with a basic case in MINT condition! I knew it was older by the tone but I'm just looking it up today. Having studied the subject before I know that colder climates make for richer sound. Though I also like newer instruments too for playing 2000s alt/punk music whereas the 70s era guitar just doesn't sound quite right. Right now I use it for the many open G songs of the 70s era. Superb! My original 70s Yamaha, I gave to my son as a lad who definitely does it justice but I was so happy to come along this deal. I was looking at old records when I heard "Where shall we put these guitars?" YES I HIT THE JACKPOT that day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, here we are in 2022, facing nuclear annihilation, and I just bought, wait for it, an FG 335!!  Needed a beater guitar at a vacation home and this was available nearby.  In great shape and seems to play OK though action not as sweet as my Yamaha FGX. That could probably be fixed though! 🙂

The thread, like the FG 335, lives on!! And I bet it'll be here with the cockroaches after Mr Putin has done his worst!! 😂

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I got mine around 1977. It's been everywhere. Through all kinds of weather. I have 10 ukes and guitars. This one is by far the best. The sound is soft and warm, loud and strong. It will play anything. I play it on stage as much as the others. If I had to give them all up it would be the last one to go, my first and last. Some people say it's a beginner guitar. I'd play it against anyone else's. The older it gets, the better it sounds

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Just saw an old dusty fg335 on Facebook marketplace right down the road from me. Somebody painted a mural on the top. Asking $200. I'm smart enough to step over Martin's for yamaha.  Currently own a fg180 nippon, 150 nippon,  Chinese lj6, and the incredible fgx5. Looks like I will be the proud owner of a fg335. I'm going to try to get it for $100, but will pay up if I have to lol. What a thread!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I suppose it is never to late to sing the praises of the fg 335

I bought mine new in 1978 from a piano store at the mall that I worked at

Put it on layaway

It was my first quality guitar and the one I penned all the greats on

I have other acoustics that are worth more but if the house was on fire it is the one I would grab

After the family is safe of course

Over the past few years I have been learning the craft of guitar repair

Starting with some 5 dollar broken ones from the flea market and watching some very good youtube folk

twoodford, jerry rossa 

Two very different styles but excellent craftspeople

With 4 or 5 neck resets under my belt I decided to pull the neck off my fg 335

With the guidance of a Yamaha guru who's name escapes me I reset the neck, put one a new set of frets, bone nut and saddle and new ebony string pins.

There is a reason that neck resets cost big money, it is a hella work! And very exacting 

When I got the guitar back together I was a little scared that I had overset the neck causing the saddle to be slightly higher than original spec.But when I strung it up and got the nut and saddle dialed in I could not believe how beautiful it sounded and what a pleasure it was to play

It just sings

May this tread never die