Finally got a Tele!

Lucas S.

• Members

I have wanted a 72 reissue for along time, but always thought $729 was a little to much for a MIM and they didn't really have the color I wanted. Now I have a 72 CIJ (I don't have it yet. but will be anxiously waiting). This is pretty much my dream Tele. Did I do alright on price? It seemed like a fair price to me but you don't see too many of these to compare it too, I don't anyway.

I hope this works http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7378964268

Lucas S.

• Members

Originally posted by Boogie-Woogie

looks great,

question to all made in japan tele users:

do i have to replace the electronics and the stock pu in the japan tele especially in the 62 reissue tele, or are they doing their job good ?

ps : sorry by using your thread, but i think this goes for you, too :-)

The newer ones have USA pickups, I believe.

I'd play it for a while before changing anything. JMO.

• Members

Congrats! I have the MIM version of that and have no issues with the build quality at all, it's a nice guitar! Plus I got mine for $659.00 by finding a cheaper online price and having MF match it.

I am planning on replacing the bridge pup in mine, and also replacing the Volume and tone pots for the humbucker with 500K pots. I'm not sure if the MIJ version has 250K pots for the humbucker - but mine is a bit too muddy for my personal taste so they are going!

• Members

It`s a CIJ, a more recent model. There has been some debate about the FJ custom shop, some say it never existed but I have an ExTrad that was listed in the catalog posted on a Japanese guy`s web site I saw, and according to it they were made to order with the best parts and wood available at that time and it has an Extrad sticker on the back of the headstock. I also own some FJ custom editions, with a different sticker I.D.ing them as such. From the pics you posted I can`t see the back of the headstock. It is possible it was made for a chain of shops in Japan, that often happens and they sometimes have the custom edition sticker. Looks like a nice guitar but for that money I would have asked for a pic of the back of the headstock to be certain. We know it`s not an ExTrad because it`s a CIJ, the ExTrads went out of production before the switch from MIJ to CIJ. If it`s a custom edition, thats a price I`d expect to pay in japan if it`s not , it seems high to me. Don`t be alarmed if you open it ans see tiny pots and a plastic switch, most CIJs have em. They`ve not given me any trouble so far but some guys swap em out.

• Members

Awsome guitar!....if you end up not likeing it, let me know!

I have a MIM that is HIGHLY modded. Includeing sanding off the paint. But acording to a guy at Fender, the MIM re-issues have USA pick-ups in them. And had a hell of time replaceing the full-range humbucker! Took over year for parts- guru to send it to me and fender was no help....they charged the credit card in June 03 and didn't get untill july 04!!!!!!!

But anyways...great find and love the color....I may have mine painted that way too!

And welcome to the family... I ave $ Teles and love them all...All play great and all are equiped differntly.

• Members

Originally posted by Munkeyfish

Awsome guitar!....if you end up not likeing it, let me know!

Thanks, but I don't think this one will be going anywhere. I've never got rid of a guitar and I don't think this would be the one to start with. The damn thing is perfect! I can't find anything I would change on it. The pickguard is a little scratched, but that happens.

Lucas S.

P.S. Six Stringer: My main amp is a Fender "the Twin"

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

I agree with Mr. Pistols, that thing is damn near the perfect looking guitar! Beautiful!! Major congrats and I think that you did really good on the price.

+2

That thing is beautiful. I've never seen a 72 reissue with that finish. I think $750 is about right for a CIJ one in that rare color. I have a MIM 72 Thinline which I absolutely love, but I've heard that the CIJ ones are/were better guitars. Congratulations!

• Members

I really like that finish with the wood grain showing through. I just order two white guitars myself just last week. They will be my first "whities" in my stable. (A Yamaha RGX A2 and a DiPinto Mach IV)

It's interesting that he states in the correspondence below that he assumes that guitar was made in 2005. I first guessed it was a mid-90s MIJ model that used to have an MSRP of $660 with a basswood body. But if it is a new model "Custom Shop" custom with an ash body, then $750 sounds like a deal!

• Members

Originally posted by Lucas S.

I have wanted a 72 reissue for along time, but always thought $729 was a little to much for a MIM and they didn't really have the color I wanted. Now I have a 72 CIJ (I don't have it yet. but will be anxiously waiting). This is pretty much my dream Tele. Did I do alright on price? It seemed like a fair price to me but you don't see too many of these to compare it too, I don't anyway.

I hope this works

Lucas S.

I have the exact same guitar .. same color.. everything... it's a few months old.

Several things

1. It doesn't balance standing up very well.

2. The pickups are rather muddy.

Myabe you will like them.. but I don't.

It's a beautiful guitar.

Archived