Studio monitor recommendations?

• Members

Well, that's why I wrote that thing about the "Battle of the Titans", Mark. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around someone who concludes that the Behringer or the Samson are the best bets for under $400 when there are so many other choices available that seem superior to me. Have you ever read a good review of either one or hear a professional praise either in glowing terms?

To be honest, no.

I have heard good things about M Audio monitors, and even the smaller Event and KRK monitors have gotten some good comments, but I have not read ANYTHING positive about the Behringer "truth" monitors except from those who apparently have never tried any other "real" monitors and have stepped up from cheap computer speakers.

Of course, I think that any monitor can be effective once an engineer "learns" what they sound like. I spent a number of years mixing on what I now realize were substandard monitors (Peavey PRM 8), but because I knew where they were lying to me, I made adjustments and the mixes translated well.

Look how many folks swear by Yamaha NS10's and yet admit they are really not very good monitors..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, no.

I have heard good things about M Audio monitors, and even the smaller Event and KRK monitors have gotten some good comments, but I have not read ANYTHING positive about the Behringer "truth" monitors except from those who apparently have never tried any other "real" monitors and have stepped up from cheap computer speakers.

Of course, I think that any monitor can be effective once an engineer "learns" what they sound like. I spent a number of years mixing on what I now realize were substandard monitors (Peavey PRM 8), but because I knew where they were lying to me, I made adjustments and the mixes translated well.

Look how many folks swear by Yamaha NS10's and yet admit they are really not very good monitors..

That's very true, and I do think you could do a good mix on not-so-good monitors if you get used to it. But if your budget is $400, why would you want to "get used to" something when you can have a superior product? And something that's going to most likely be longer lasting and have a better resale value?

I've only met two people who have used Behringer Truths. Both of them were dirt poor and didn't seem to be at all discerning about audio, based on that and their other equipment and the results that they produced. I don't know anyone who has ever used any Samson monitors.

Also, judging by how often the original poster participates in this thread, I kind of wonder about all this.

• Members

To be honest, no.

They're bad in the right way, though - they sound like shoddy consumer stereo speakers. So many current low-end monitors seem to be designed around pumping out big bass and lots of treble, cut out the midrange unpleasantry, make it sound sound artificially nice for the would-be producers in the demo room at Guitar Center.

• Members

Exactly. I have my Mackie HR824mkII's, but I also have a set of Creative speakers that seem to be specially designed to exhibit every unpleasant small speaker charactersistic, so if I doa mix that sounds good on them, it's pretty likely to sound good everywhere, though of course I do sanity check it on the Mackies and flip back and forth regularly.

• Members

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been questioning myself regarding my Audix 1a monitors, I love the way they sound but I'm not loving the way they translate nearly as much. They don't tire my ears, but I'm finding that the highs are bright enough out of the Audix's silk tweeters that I often don't put enough emphasis on highs and my mixes sometimes come out muddy as a result. I think that when I mix my next song after Christmas I am going to run a mix of it solely on my Auratones and just see how it transfers by comparison. Does anyone else have monitors that have overemphasized highs?

• Members

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been questioning myself regarding my Audix 1a monitors, I love the way they sound but I'm not loving the way they translate nearly as much. They don't tire my ears, but I'm finding that the highs are bright enough out of the Audix's silk tweeters that I often don't put enough emphasis on highs and my mixes sometimes come out muddy as a result. I think that when I mix my next song after Christmas I am going to run a mix of it solely on my Auratones and just see how it transfers by comparison. Does anyone else have monitors that have overemphasized highs?

There are dozens of potential culprits. However, if you're room isn't treated/properly set up, I'm going to guess it's actually a buildup of low-mid mud that's overpowering the rest of your mix rather than a lack of highs. Your monitors could certainly be a strong factor in that problem as well - chances are it's the 1-2 punch of compromised acoustics being amplified by the response of your monitors. If you get the acoustics of the room in order, that'll certainly make things a little more stable. I had that same problem in my old room. I dealt with the acoustics, and that made noticeable difference #1, and then when a few months later I upgraded monitors, it was like a whole new experience.

• Members

Right...so are those Avantones. And Auratones. HorrorTones. But are Behringers and Samsons bad in a useful way?

BTW, do you think we should start mixing in our cars?
:D

Hey now.. don't insult my Auratones...!

They are great for checking how MP3's are going to sound on cheap computer speakers or in typical car systems.. I swear by them as a final mix checking set of monitors.. If your mix sounds good on Auratones, it sounds good on even the crappiest computer speakers.

• Members

Hey now.. don't insult my Auratones...!

They are great for checking how MP3's are going to sound on cheap computer speakers or in typical car systems.. I swear by them as a final mix checking set of monitors.. If your mix sounds good on Auratones, it sounds good on even the crappiest computer speakers.

Yep, I have a set of Auratones and I would agree with you on this. They're great for a reference, although certainly not pretty sounding....lol.

• Members

I'll second the KRKs. I totally agree they do need help in the low end. It's not that there is no low end, just that I wish there were more. But for a smaller space and for a project studio, I think they work quite well. I have a pair myself.

I get ear fatigue really easily. Having tried out a few different monitors of that size, I picked KRK because they sounded best at low volumes.

The Krk's are absolutely sensational man, believe me, you won't be sorry. The low end is fine. I was over a friends house yesterday that had M Audio speakers and Krk Rockit 5's both up and there was no comparison. The M Audios sounded like crap. I'll get the model number of those m audios a little later for you. Why are people still talking about NS10's? They've sucked for 20 years. I guess people just see them in studios and think they're industry standard.

• Members

Why are people still talking about NS10's? They've sucked for 20 years. I guess people just see them in studios and think they're industry standard.

I doubt anyone here cares whether they're the industry standard. We're discussing whether they're useful or not. Just like we're discussing Auratones.

I doubt you'll get many arguments about whether NS-10s suck. That's, in fact, what we're discussing...that they suck in a useful way.

BTW, I've never owned NS-10s because of the pain they inflict. :D

• Members

The monitors I ended up getting were the Event TR8 XL which I have been very happy with. (using them for about 5 years in my home studio).

The

Event TR8 go fore $250 each, so $500 for the pair which is a little over your $400 mark, but they are very good IMHO.

The TR8 XL are exactly the same with a slightly bigger amp for $100 more ($50 each). The bigger amp isn't really necessary, but I ended up going for it.

Hope that helps... good luck :D

Guest Anonymous

The one thing about ADAMs when listening to the side of them is hearing the tweeter ring. This has got to be reflecting in to the Control Room. Not Good.

The one thing about ADAMs when listening to the side of them is hearing the tweeter ring. This has got to be reflecting in to the Control Room. Not Good.

Can you describe what you're hearing, and the listening conditions, in greater detail please?

I own two sets of ADAMs, and I have heard just about every speaker in their lineup (and have owned, or used on a long term basis, two other models besides the ones I currently own), and I have never noticed this...

I don't expect anything to sound perfect off-axis, and standard acoustical design principles stress the importance of dealing with first reflection points in the room anyway...

• Members

Exactly. I have my Mackie HR824mkII's, but I also have a set of Creative speakers that seem to be specially designed to exhibit every unpleasant small speaker charactersistic, so if I doa mix that sounds good on them, it's pretty likely to sound good everywhere, though of course I do sanity check it on the Mackies and flip back and forth regularly.

I have the HR624s where I am doing mixing in my bedroom. For final mixing, I'll move em to the centre of a well-furnished room at my aunt's place (I live in the city in a downtown condo). I am sure they'd love me whipping bass traps and crap all around the place!

How can we talk about speakers without talking about good D/A converters? I love my Mackies, and the reason why I bought them is because an engineer I worked with loved them, and plus I really liked the sound of our album. However, he had a better D/A converter. I notice that everything sounds great thru my MOTU and Mackies. However, when I listen to it in my car (with a sub), I am finding my bass levels are all out of whack... whereas I'll put in a Depeche mode CD in my car/monitors and it sounds like it fits every speaker. This probably has A LOT to do with how I have my speakers in the worst position possible (room corner), but I try doing some mixing (mostly volume levels) on my AKG headphones as well (I know this is terrible, but I DO live in a condo).

I hear that clock timing, and D/A converters play a huge role in accuracy in monitoring. The album we made had a better D/A converter, and I think that this may very well be my problem. My inaccuracies are primarily at the bass level... but being setup in a proper room for a final mix would probably benefit me just as much as an audio D/A upgrade.

Comments? Suggestions?

Archived