Studio monitor recommendations?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I am doing the cheap passive Infinty 152 w 5.25 inch woofer. I am in a very small and narrow room. I managed to get them placed on good stands and for 133.00 delivered they are great. actually my stands cost me 109.00 but they will be usefull later. I took my time getting the placement right, even though I didn't have a lot of options. One foot father away from the wall is like night and day. These seem to be very accurate speakers. I am driving my speakers with a Samson servo 300, which I do not recomend, only because it has a fan inside it.The amp is doing a great job of driving the speakers. This will have to hold me for awhile I have no money right now.The pro reviewer that recomended this speaker said it was not happy in overly lively rooms and was unforgiving of cheap amplification. Well they can sound bad if put ind the wrong spot of an untreated room, but ifyou have an amp and you can't afford a quality active it could be an option. It uses a 3/4 inch anodized alumium tweeter as well as an aluminum woofer, but is not harsh.

i

Guest Anonymous
Can you describe what you're hearing, and the listening conditions, in greater detail please?

I own two sets of ADAMs, and I have heard just about every speaker in their lineup (and have owned, or used on a long term basis, two other models besides the ones I currently own), and I have never noticed this...

I don't expect anything to sound perfect off-axis, and standard acoustical design principles stress the importance of dealing with first reflection points in the room anyway...

A studio I worked at bought a pair of S2.5's for there nearfields. I walked by the side of the Control 24 desk and noticed a ringing sound. When we turned the S2.5's at a medium low volume we could this ringing sound coming from the tweeter. We all agreed this is not cool and the Adam's were replaced with a non-ribbon tweeter type monitor. The Control Room has fiberglass/Guilford panels on 50-60% of the walls with fiberglass/mineral wool/Guilford bass traps. The sound we heard was not comig from a room reflection problem but, from a poorly designed ribbon tweeter that should be left at home.

:cop:

Archived