Studio monitor recommendations?

• Members

So, it's my birthday in a week and my parents have generously offered to buy me a pair of montiors...Budget is around $400 though.

I'm looking at the Samson Audio RESOLV65A (9/10 on Musictechmag.co.uk), Tapco S5 (same score) and KRK Rokit RP-5. Are there any other active monitors in the price-range you'd recommened?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, it's come to either the Samson's or the Behringer 2131A.

Hot damn, the Battle of the Titans.

Which would you pick?

Which would you rather do, fall out of a ten-story window or an eleven-story?

I'd probably look at this http://www.musicgoround-cary.com/servlet/Detail?no=64 or another pair of cheap M-Audios or a pair of Yorkville YSM-1s or KRKs or headphones or...well, damn, this is a trick question just so I have to try and resist slagging Samson and Behringer, isn't it? Why else would you put those two at the top of the heap?

• Members

I'll second the KRKs. I totally agree they do need help in the low end. It's not that there is no low end, just that I wish there were more. But for a smaller space and for a project studio, I think they work quite well. I have a pair myself.

I get ear fatigue really easily. Having tried out a few different monitors of that size, I picked KRK because they sounded best at low volumes.

I have the KRK 5's and they work quite well. They need some help in the low end but for 5" speakers they're good.

If you have the money, get the bigger speakers. KRK6's go for $400/pair and KRK8's are $500/pair.

• Moderators

this monitor debate is exactly why I don't come around too much any more

:p That's amazing! A very nice, informative thread about a touchy subject like inexpensive monitors and you're calling it a debate? Interesting.

All I see above is some good advice to the question.

HONESTLY you need to go the store...take you fav mixed cds, listen to them both, and you pick. some of the best mix on 100 dollar speakers. dont let us decide, your ears need to tell you

To that good advice, I would add, "check the store's return policy". If you can arrange it, narrow it down at the store, then bring your two or three favorite candidates home and see how they respond in your room. Then take the other pair (or two) back.

• Members

#7 Try and acoustically treat your room so your monitors can sound as good as they can.

My room is treated, and I bring panels/traps to other rooms when I have to work in places that aren't properly dealt with. A well treated room won't fix massive holes in the accuracy of a monitor. I'd prefer to work in mono on one good monitor for my EQing/levels and then stereo pan on headphones than use low-end monitors. There's just too much information that doesn't translate.

I check/tweak mixes on a boombox and earbuds, but wouldn't want to work on them start to finish.

• Members

Yes, treating your room simply allows you to hear your decent monitoring system a little better.

Working in mono helps you with the EQs and stuff a little easier, I think. I need to do that more often, as I sometimes forget.

I have low-end monitors, the Yorkville YSM-1s, but do believe that you can do a really great mix on them. I think you just have to work harder and check your mix on other systems (car, boombox, etc.) more often, in my experience.

• Members

Yes, treating your room simply allows you to hear your decent monitoring system a little better.

Working in mono helps you with the EQs and stuff a little easier, I think. I need to do that more often, as I sometimes forget.

I have low-end monitors, the Yorkville YSM-1s, but do believe that you can do a really great mix on them. I think you just have to work harder and check your mix on other systems (car, boombox, etc.) more often, in my experience.

I did that same thing for a long time, I had a pair of Events that sounded great.

Except that, they sounded great because they were boosting up the freqs we all like to hear and smearing over critical midrange bands. Made for a totally unrealistic listening experience that meant mixing involved a fair amount of guesswork and an awful lot more listening fatigue. Couple of years went by and I upgraded to a pair of BM5As, and within a couple days of getting to know the new monitors, was making *far* better mixes in significantly less time. I still reference on cheap speakers and in the car, but it was truly amazing what a difference the upgrade made. One of the few gear-purchases that made an immediate appreciable difference, and hence one that I would never suggest skimping on. Start with cheaper mics and pres if you have to - but know as precisely as possible what you're actually hearing so you can deal with them as best as you can!

• Members

Yeah, the monitors I listed are all available here...I've heard good things about the Behringer 2031A but they're just out of my price-range.

I don't mean to step on your ideas, but could you tell us where you have heard good things about the Behringer monitors?

I can't find any good reviews from anyone except the newest of home hobby recording guys.

• Members

Well, that's why I wrote that thing about the "Battle of the Titans", Mark. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around someone who concludes that the Behringer or the Samson are the best bets for under $400 when there are so many other choices available that seem superior to me. Have you ever read a good review of either one or hear a professional praise either in glowing terms?

Archived