Classic rockers - tell me 'bout your 112 combos!

Fireproof

• Members

I'm not sure I'm a classic rocker... But I like my MB Studio 22+ a lot. It weighs nothing, has a controlable lead channel, a great sounding reverb, and it's plenty loud. I also like the F-30 a lot.

I've had a Mark III for ages too. But it's awfully heavy for my nearly 50-year-old back. I like the tone from the Studio 22 better anyway. It just won't play as loud. These days they mic everything anyway.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My main amp is a 1956 5e3 Fender Deluxe, but i have a Blues deluxe from 1994 or so with a 1x12 that sounds really good....you can find those pretty cheap, and they're great for classic rock tones.....better than the HotRods, imho...you will, however, need some sort of dirt pedal for any kind of heavier music...

• Members

Originally posted by wader2k

Love my traynor ycv20wr.... with the greenback... thinking about popping in a set of jj's from eurotubes.

JJ's transformed my 9100 power amp from a fuzzy, knife bomb into a beautiful, indespensible tone-machine.

like night and day.

it made a bigger difference than buying a new preamp for my rack.

• Members

Not offering anything new here, but for your budget the Traynor YCV 50 (The blue one with the Celestian 30) would be my first choice, while the 20 and 20 watt Traynors would be second. The Peavey Classic 30 would be next. If you can afford an extra few hundred bucks I'd recommend a look at the Mesa F-50 as well. They go for about $750 to $850 used.

• Members

I have a Mesa DC-2 that I picked up about a year ago used, and it serves me well in the Classic Rock band I'm in. Great cleans, great overdrive (does southern rock really well) and nice distortion for leads, when necessary. It's not the super-overdriven recto-type Mesa, and seems to be designed for classic rockers. I like it because it easily covers a lot of ground. Two EL-84's and six 12AX7's are under the hood, and mine has the stock Mesa Black Shadow (Vintage model, I believe). They also make a DC-3 and DC-5, and most go for about $500 or so used. I would like an Orange someday, but the Mesa definitely keeps me happy. I used to have a super-multi-effects processor in search for "my sound," then I plugged into the Mesa. Guitar-->Mesa is now "my sound."

It's plenty loud, too. I haven't ever turned it up past 2 1/2, including small club gigs.

• Members

wader2k: can't go wrong with JJ's - email eurotubes first and he'll ask you exactly what you're looking for sound wise and what amp, he'll give you a great set of tubes.

Fireproof: if you do get a PC30 (which are cheap on ebay, got mine in great cond. for $275USD). Ask the seller to remove the tubes first, and pack them in a small box and just pop that in the amp. Mine were left in and some of the prongs got bent, but the tube didn't bust!

+1 to whoever mentioned the vintage Traynor guitarmate. If you're looking for classic tube tone. Check out the bassmate as well, the bassmaster head is used by a lot of people for guitar.

Velvet Black (traynor history/models/etc)

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/

Check out Garnet amps as well, also very well made vintage Canadian amps. You'll have a hard time finding Garnets, but they are not collector items and should be a decent price. All point-to-point.

• Members

Ahh - my GAS...getting....out of.....control.

I'm excited. (The "hunt" for new gear is always so much fun. It's almost a bummer when you finally buy it. Then you have to start gassing for something else.)

Anyway - a lot of you made statements that fit me well. Just so you know, I have a Vox valvetronix AD30VT that's a fun practice amp, but it just doesn't do the tube sound as well as, well, a tube-only amp. PLUS - I'm really wanting to find an amp with a clean and lead channel that just sounds great with my LP or SG Classic.

I also have a B52 AT212 100watt which is a KILLER amp for the money. And it will take care of any metal / harder rock sounds I need, but I'm just not playing those songs anymore with the friends I'm playing with now. Plus, that thing is a beast to lug over to people's houses for a few hours.

I love when you guys say "i just plug my guitar in and love the tone" without any pedals. That's what I want. Maybe add a wah, and that's it.

Anyway - thanks again for all the great tips. It's cool to search the threads here for similar posts, but this is a lot more fun - you guys have given me some great ideas and more things to look into.

:thu: :thu:

• Members

Nothing I've ever tried has come close to my Cornford Hurricane. Single channel, 20w, 1*12 and very much geared towards blues and classic rock players; not much clean headroom but stunning crunch. Powerful enough for gigging but the EL84's mean it's not too loud for the house either.

Bloody pricey though, especially in the States.

• Members

I've never been much of a stack man... just too much volume and too much weight for what I do, so I tend to stay with combos. I've got two Seymour Duncan Convertible 100 watt combos, with a butt ton of modules... they have amazing cleans, but you aren't going to get a decent crunch without a pedal... however, mine responds pretty well to them (a bluesbreaker II is what I used to use) and it gives a good classic rockesque distortion.

I also have a bedrock 612, which is an exceptionally nice amp... the gain is too harsh for me, but the clean sounds very nice... there is only eq for both the clean and the dirty (unlike the duncans)... both can be procurred for pretty cheap, though the Duncans seem to be climbing in price.

John

• Members

Don't laugh.....but I got a Blue Voodo 60 watt 112....I put JJ tubes in it and a vintage 30. Well let's just say this thing had sat in my closet for five years cuz I did not like it much. Now I cannot stop playing it. I'm not sure it does one thing fantastic...but combined with my modest pedal board....it does a lot of things really good. I am more impressed with the clean sounds and slightly broken up sounds than anything...but I get a nice classic rock distortion out of it and it has enough gain to do some heavier stuff. These things can be had real cheap and with some tweaking work nicely imho.

• Members

If you can get past the Name .Does clean like a Matchless and Rooooors like a mean Marshall. Has a Celestion, Nice Cab and Groove tubes...What more could you want for around 600. Had many 1-12's and if you read the reviews you will see most agree this is the best sounding amp uner 1K

• Members
Originally posted by docjeff

I have four 15 watters that are perfect for small clubs. Orange AD15/12, Marshall DSL 201, Ampeg Jet and Vox AC15TBX. All four sound fantastic and were

orange.jpg
britam.jpg
amamp.jpg

The Orange is my main gigging amp. It has quite a bit of clean headroom and a nice brit crunch. Perfect for classic rock. The AC15TBX is the best sounding of my 1 x 12's, but they are getting quite rare, so mine stays home. The Marshall is really aggressive and I use it when I need extra gain. The 40 watt version (DSL 401) may be exactly what you are looking for. Check it out. i'd stick a new Celestion Alnico Gold (50watt) speaker in the 401. You'd have a great amp that could do Voxy chime to true Marshall grind.

The Ampeg doesn't get used too much, but it has a really glassy clean sound and works well with drive pedals (like a Radial Tonebone Hot Brit). They make a 50 watt version that is pretty nice.

The Fender HR Deluxe has an expensive Jensen P12N and some caps that I installed across the volume and master pots. It sounds like an older Deluxe now with a great clean channel and lots of headroom. The drive sounds are nowhere near as good as the Orange, Vox, or Marshall.

By the way, I also have a THD Univalve that I gig with all the time. It's exceptionally flexible, and I can leave my cab at the gig and just cart the head back and forth. I use a 2 x 12 Marshall cab and a 1 x 12 Marshall cab. It is plenty loud enough, but not much clean headroom.

nice setup man.the pedalboard looks nice and clean.clean in a good way

• Members

Originally posted by MorganBucks

If you can get past the Name .Does clean like a Matchless and Rooooors like a mean Marshall. Has a Celestion, Nice Cab and Groove tubes...What more could you want for around 600. Had many 1-12's and if you read the reviews you will see most agree this is the best sounding amp uner 1K

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the Crates. Like most reviewers mentioned, I typically don't think of crate when thinking of quality tube amps, but many people are giving them good reviews.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

I have four 15 watters that are perfect for small clubs. Orange AD15/12, Marshall DSL 201, Ampeg Jet and Vox AC15TBX. All four sound fantastic and were

orange.jpg
britam.jpg
amamp.jpg

The Orange is my main gigging amp. It has quite a bit of clean headroom and a nice brit crunch. Perfect for classic rock. The AC15TBX is the best sounding of my 1 x 12's, but they are getting quite rare, so mine stays home. The Marshall is really aggressive and I use it when I need extra gain. The 40 watt version (DSL 401) may be exactly what you are looking for. Check it out. i'd stick a new Celestion Alnico Gold (50watt) speaker in the 401. You'd have a great amp that could do Voxy chime to true Marshall grind.

The Ampeg doesn't get used too much, but it has a really glassy clean sound and works well with drive pedals (like a Radial Tonebone Hot Brit). They make a 50 watt version that is pretty nice.

The Fender HR Deluxe has an expensive Jensen P12N and some caps that I installed across the volume and master pots. It sounds like an older Deluxe now with a great clean channel and lots of headroom. The drive sounds are nowhere near as good as the Orange, Vox, or Marshall.

By the way, I also have a THD Univalve that I gig with all the time. It's exceptionally flexible, and I can leave my cab at the gig and just cart the head back and forth. I use a 2 x 12 Marshall cab and a 1 x 12 Marshall cab. It is plenty loud enough, but not much clean headroom.

sweet :thu:

• Members

Several years ago I was searching for the perfect 12" combo amp for me and I made an extra effort to try out every one of the combos that are usually available in stores. So out of all the Fenders, Marshalls, and whatevers... I selected the Tech21 Trademark 60 and I have never regretted it. I don't use any pedals and I can get this amp as clean or as dirty as needed just using the controls on the amp. It's really wonderful and no matter where I use it people always tell me it sounds great.

• Members

Another vote for the Peavey Classic 30. Nice amp and the same can be said about the Classic 50. Orange's Rocker 30 and (if you're more of a bluesman rather than a rocker type) the AD series are very nice too.

The Marshall DSL401 on the other hand is a huge piece o' crap IMO. Unreliable, expensive, crap speaker, poor sounding. For the money I feel you can do much better.

Another option is to get a 1x12 cab and a head to go with it. This is what I've been doing for years. Not as portable as a combo of course but gives you more options. Of course, full size heads look a bit funny on top of a 1x12 (kinda like the letter T), but thankfully there are many sweet smaller sized heads on the market..unfortunately many of them quite expensive.

I'm waiting for a Diezel Einstein combo to arrive though, so it's back to combos for me.

• Members

Originally posted by MorganBucks

I recorded one of these a month ago and it was pretty impressive!

I'd also suggest the Classic 30, I've used and recorded them over the years and they sound great.

I use a 1x12" BadCat HotCat 15 with a closed-back 15" extension cab for my main rig now. It's a little shy on clean headroom, but it really shines in the tone department!

warmoth_tele_005.jpg

Archived