Classic rockers - tell me 'bout your 112 combos!

Fireproof

• Members

I play on a mesa/boogie .50 caliber 1x12 combo. perfect amp for jammin' and gigging, loud as hell if you want it to be. I've played some auditoriums with the master on about '6'. Great for playing lots of different stuff too; mostly I play classic rock & blues but occasionally with a small jazz ensemble and a jazz 'big band' and it fits the bill for all of 'em.

I'd recommend trying one out if you can find one, as mesa doesn't produce them anymore you'd have to find one used.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Classic 30 will do it all. I just did a re-tube with JJ's and it sounds like a new amp even with the stock speaker...although I am anxious to see if it sounds better with a Vintage 30 or greenback.

• Members

Another Peavey Classic 30 owner here. I'd recommend it. I also like the Crate Palomino line (I think these might be comparable to the vintage club line).

Can't go wrong with the Classic 30 - especially for ~$300 on ebay.

• Members

Peavey Prowler may be worth a look. It's the discontinued 1x12 combo from the XXX line. 45 Watts, 2 channel (plus gain/vol boost on lead channel), reverb and FX loop. I have one and my only complaint is that it's a little too "rock". I'm having a hard time dialing in more of a blues type tone. If you're doing the classic rock thing, it may be up your alley, and they're CHEAP. They aren't that easy to find, but when they do turn up, they're only around $300.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided on a Peavey Classic 30. But I'll keep the list of the others, because I'm sure the GAS won't stop there.

But I'm looking forward to giving the Classic a good run...

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention the Crates. Like most reviewers mentioned, I typically don't think of crate when thinking of quality tube amps, but many people are giving them good reviews.

Crate Palomino 15 watter.

I am relatively new to the guitar so I wasn't overly aware of Crate's poor reputation. Although I believe that rep was earned mostly with its solid state amps.

But I have test driven a lot of amps and the Crate is a lot of quality tone for the money.

The reverb isn't much to get excited about but its clean tone is warm and lovely and with the gain upped it has great classic rock crunch.

Archived