Drum recording-what microphone? Audix Beyer AKG?

• Members

Hello im interested in purchasing some new drum microphones on ebay and currently theirs a few im looking at and was wondering if anyone has used them and would give me their opinion of their usability or another option. I would also like to compliment my Audix D6, Samson C02 pencil's and SM57. The main reason for purchase is to cover tom recording but obviously microphones are pretty universal sometimes. Many thanks GUY!S

Firstly a Audix fusion pack containing 3xf10's and 1 f12

Normally, I'd rather pick and choose individual mikes than go for a "package deal"...

I'm not a big fan of the AKG D112 on kick drums. It has a "basketball against a chain link fence" ping to the sound that I don't usually care for.

I don't have enough experience with the Opus series Beyers to comment on those, nor on the Fusion series Audix mikes, but I do love some Beyers - the M160 ribbon sounds fantastic on overheads, but those would blow your budget. I do use the Audix D and i series mikes on drums a lot, but the D4 isn't my favorite kick mic either... the D6 works much better in that application IMO.

D2's are great on toms IMO, and the i5 is my "try it first" snare drum mic these days. They can also work well on high / rack toms. Depending on how large the drum kit is, that package may indeed be a good option; your current D6 on kick, an i5 on snare, the D2's on the rack toms, and the D4 on floor tom - it sounds very good in that application. If you have a 6 piece kit, I'd use the extra i5 for the highest rack tom, and if it's a 7 piece kit, I'd use the two i5's on the highest toms, and use the SM57 for the snare.

After getting the Audix mikes, I'd start saving up for some better overheads. :)

• Members

The following are mics I use that I like. I'm not saying they're the greatest and the best (there's no such thing anyway), but they don't suck and you can get a really good sound from them.

I've used a Heil PR30 or a large diaphragm condenser (Lawson L251) for the snare lately and gotten fantastic results.

For toms, I use 421s but am going to start using some other things next time I record drums, maybe experimenting with some small diaphragm condensers such as the AT4051s.

For kicks, I absolutely love the Heil PR40. This mic sounds amazing.

For a room mic, I've just begun using the AT4060, and that works well.

For overheads, I just used the Heil PR30, which is mildly unusual in that I am using a dynamic mic for overheads. I really liked it. I also use AT4051s for overheads, and those work well also.

I've never used the Audix mics, but a lot of people like them. And if you've ever heard Phil's drum sounds, you'll know that he's getting a great sound from the mics he's using. The AT4051s and the AT4060 and Lawson L251 are way beyond your budget, but I'm throwing out ideas that you may be able to achieve with other mics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

IU got my Audix pack and ive been testing it on guitar and my god The Audix i5 is genious and slaps the sm57 in the face and says RETRO!. That good cheers guys. I like the tom mics D2/D4 they have a place but not for guitar mybe a blues band.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of the AKG D112 on kick drums. It has a "basketball against a chain link fence" ping to the sound that I don't usually care for.

Thank you Phil for being brave enough to say this :thu:

I've never used the Audix mic packs, but on the cheap I've heard some very good recordings using them.

• Members

I've never thought about the D112 having a "ping" to the sound, but it does have that "basketball bouncing" sort of sound that I don't care for. A lot of people have commented on this quality and don't like it for that reason.

I own one, and almost never use it.

I also don't need that much bottom end. It has bottom end for days.

• Members

Been using my audix pack now quite abit and the D2's are really strong tom mics much like Md421's mk2's. The D4 is rather wide ranged and flat which is good but not what i look for in a floor tom mic personally. The D6 is my favourite kick microphone against the E602 and D112 i also dont like the RE20. I really need a nice set of overhead like AT4050's that are considerably cheaper!

• Members

I don't know what your budget is, but the Earthworks microphones sound amazing on drums and you only need two or three to record the whole kit.

I have Avenson ST0-2s, somewhat similar to Earthworks in that they are omnis, and the thing about these mics is that they work really well for drums, but if you are using them exclusively (or close to it), you need to have a good sounding room.

• Members

I use the D112 and never gotten the fabled basketball sound, but then I always use it blended with another mic usually a 57 or Re20. Re20 up close on the beater, and the D112 set back about 6" back outside the hole, love it. But honestly my favorite use for the D112 is on a Djembe drum.

I have audix fusion pack, I can't say I really like those in any respect on drums. With one exception the F12 works awesome on bass cabs.

• Moderators

But honestly my favorite use for the D112 is on a Djembe drum..

My favorite use of an D112 is on floor tom. Providing you want the tom of doom, it's cool. And best thing, I don't own one but every drummer seems to. I like the RE20 or the Beta 52 on kick depending.

• Members

My favorite use of an D112 is on floor tom. Providing you want the tom of doom, it's cool. And best thing, I don't own one but every drummer seems to. I like the RE20 or the Beta 52 on kick depending.

Thanks for this, I have not gotten a chance to try this but was going to. :thu:

• Members

The Floor Tom of Doom.

its actually an old bass drum, rogers I think. That I mounted floor tom legs on. Tis the official floor tom of doom. And Yes we use the D112 on this guy.

DSC01418.jpg

Archived