4 questions:Snakes, Headphones, Condensers, and Recording drums by myself.

• Members

Greetings,

I am a solo artist, (guitarist by trade), and I have a decent sized project studio. a few quick questions:

1. I want a snake basically so I can increase the length of cable I have from my Project Mix i/o, to in front of my drum kit. That would be 8 XLR and 8 Line. I plan to connect the xlr from my guitar mics into it, or the xlr from drums. I would also like to be able to connect headphones to the end of it so i can monitor while I am tracking drums. My budget is about $200 for this.

2. Headphones! I have an old crappy pair I have been using for tracking, but it is time to move up. I need headphones that I can use to track guitar, vocals, and drums. I do not intend to mix with them, just to have better isolation so I can nail drum tracks. Budget here is about 200.

3. Condenser Mics! I am currently playing a 4 piece kit, and am close miking the snare with a 57, hi tom with a 57, floor with a 57, and kick with a beta 52. I need some overheads, what do you think would be the best bang for the buck in the $200 (per mic) range?

4. Since I am doing most of the work by myself, I would like to be able to control protools from a distance (namely behind the drum kit), what kind of solutions are available for this? I am guessing there is the possibility of bringing a monitor, key and mouse over there via some splitter, but what other alternatives are there?

you can hear some samples of my music at: www.myspace.com/mikemahalati

Regards

• Members

1. Markertek might sell things like these. I have a ProCo snake that I bought eons ago that works great for this kind of thing.

2. StudioKans work really great, isolate well, and sound good. They are also rugged, and have a 1/8" input so if you mistakenly step on the cord, it simply pulls out. If the cord goes bad, simply replace the cord.

3. AT 4041s are good, although they are slightly above your price range if you get them new. There are other options as well, although I can't think of them right now.

4. Frontier Tranzport.

• Members

!. You probably don't need a 16 ch. snake-- an 8 Ch. XLR snake w/ 4 1/4" returns woudl probably do you okay. Audiopile is a good source, too.

@. At about 100$, I really like the sennheiser hd280, whcih has worked for me in this application.

#. Though they are little more than your budget, a pair of used sm81 work well for me in that spot.

$. I've never done it, but I have heard of people using windows remote desktop on a laptop to conroll a DAW from another room.

• Members

4. Since I am doing most of the work by myself, I would like to be able to control protools from a distance (namely behind the drum kit), what kind of solutions are available for this? I am guessing there is the possibility of bringing a monitor, key and mouse over there via some splitter, but what other alternatives are there?...

Regards

If you have an Ipod touch or an Iphone.... there is an app, that will let control basic stuff, like record, stop, etc thru your home wifi....

I have not tested it yet, but friends are recommending this a LOT!!

if not, the tranzport already suggested will be your solution.

Thanks!

• Members

For distance controls, I just use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I set up all the tracks and record-enable, then carry the keyboard over to the drums. Once I'm situated, I hit "3" on the number pad to start recording. You might have to get up a couple of times to adjust levels, but once you get them set you can just sit behind the drums and record the song.

Now, if you're wanting to do punch-ins and stuff, that's another story. I usually just do whole takes and splice if I need to.

• Moderators

I'm liking my Tranzport a lot. I use it all the time. If I'm in the big room working with someone else, it's great to talk about a part, move a mic, talk some, hit record and stand there with phones on cheering them on. Or setting up mics on the piano and hitting record and playing back... all while sitting a the piano itself. Move a mic and repeat. Done. OK mister piano, go at it.

Perfect for recording yourself at the drums.

• Members

Just fwiw I have some sennheiser HD280's also and love them for tracking. They are a little bass heavy IMO so I wouldn't trust them for mixing. But they definitely don't put out much sound. I use them all the time for vocals and unless I have to crank the mix you can't hear a sound out of them. And when you can hear something it's easily gated out and disappears as soon as the singer whispers. So I really don't think you'd have any issues with drums.

For overheads...
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/CAD-CM217-Condenser-Mic-Buy-One-Get-One-FREE?sku=271324

Interesting. Have you tried them? That's certainly dirt cheap for a pair of condensers, although that 13kHz top end would concern me a bit.

As far as recording yourself goes, the Frontier Design TranzPort is an absolute must have. It's a no brainer. It works great with Pro Tools. As the original ad slogan said - "you're now free to move about the studio" - and it's really true.

For Isolation / tracking cans, I really like the Extreme Isolation headphones. They sound fine and they really isolate well - close to 30dB.

• Members

If you can't find the StudioKans headphones I recommended earlier, I've heard that the Extreme Isolation headphones are good. I've had two StudioKans headphones for somewhere around 20 years now, and they still sound great. I have never had a problem with them.

• Members

I don't have any experience with the other gear mentioned,

I LOVE my beyer-dynamic dt-770 (pro?) headphones. Comfy, closed and good sound. Though don't count on using them with your ipod as you need to crank the volume a lot more than with ear buds etc. For tracking, they're great.

cheap overheads, AT2020's a pretty cheap and sound pretty good. Not top of the line stuff, but not bad.

• Members

For isolation headphones I use the ear buds from in ear monitors and construction ear muffs like these.

http://www.stanleypersonalprotection.com/products/Premium+Foldable+Earmuff/Premium_Foldable_Earmuff-large.jpg

Between the ear buds and ear muffs you get great isolation. They aren't the most accurate sounding but they are great for tracking drums and other loud stuff.

• Members

If you're looking for an extra 10' cable to add to the mic cords, these work great for the money. $32 each

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-266

I use a wireless mouse and keyboard for working the computer at a distance. The only problem I have is with being able to see the monitor.

I suppose with a closed loop video monitor on the main screen and a small monitor in back of the set, you'd be able to see it. Otherwise a daw interface designed for the task would be nessasary. The ones I read about cost about $500 in comparison to a wireless mouse and KB are under $50.

Headphones and headphone amp are key for a drummer to play to tracks. You would definately need closed back phones. I would run some send wires with the snake. Just use wire ties and run a line signal. Then plug into a good headphone preamp. This will let you adjust the volume from in back of the set. If the run is too long you may need to step down to low impediance for the run then back to High impediance for amplification but with good high impediance cables there shouldnt be too much loss over 30'. I've even used wireless headphones with good results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay so I am set on the tranzport.

I am going to get the extension for XLR that WRGKMC suggested...should be enough for what I am doing right now.

I am thinking of getting the Senn. H280, what about a headphone amp? (really only need 1 channel to sit behind the drum kit. How would I run that from the project mix? (Headphone out to amp to h280?)

I am thinking of picking up an 87 just to have for vocals.

So for my drums I am thinking of running: kick (beta 52) Snare(57) toms (57s) overheads (used 81s?)

• Members

Headphones amps run on line level. To run the headphone amp you need to tap the signal going to your monitors. You Cannot use a headphone out to power another headphone amp. You can buy any number of small 4 channel amps for under $100. I bought one of these because it was loud enough to drive bones when playing drums, plus it has some additional handy items you may only get with a rack unit. They make some smaller ones but they're pretty pathetic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=422083&Q=&is=REG&A=details

It allows you to run your monitors off this unit, plus you have an extra input for switching to another source without rewiring.

If I used headphones more I'd probibly get a good rack unit, but this one will drive 8 sets of headphones which is plenty. Plus I have some other units I use that have additional jacks.

Another option, I have a set of wireless headphones I use for drummers. They arent the highest quality but they get the job done, and you dont have to deal with the cables getting wrapped up around the drum sticks. I think they're infared which wont get interference from radios, but you need a straight line of sight to the transmitter.

Archived