Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

I recorded a cover of the Eagles' "Desperado". Tracks were recorded at a small studio in Texas, but I'm doing the mixing at home. This is for a CD (my 3rd) that I hope to release in a couple months. Been playing a long time, but I'm pretty new at the whole engineering/producing/mixing thing. Any comments, especially regarding mixing, are appreciated.

www.kyleknapp.com/audio/Desperado20070228b.mp3

Thanks,

~kyle

---------------------

using:

Nuendo 2.1

WindowsXP Pro

M-Audio Delta 44 sound card

Event TR-6 Monitors

• Members

Hello everyone,

First of all, I shall introduce myself. My name is Pim and I'm from the Netherlands, 16 years old. I started drumming when I was six and my addiction to music grew with the years. A year ago I started saving money for recording equipment. After 9 months or so, I thought i had enough equipment to do my first real recording next to my experimenting and stuff. I recorded a demo for my sister who needed a demo-cd. That went ok. Two weeks ago I got a job from a friend of mine. He also needed a demo-cd. This is what this post is about. Since it was my first mixing/mastering process and only one of the first recording processes, I would like some serious feedback on how to improve the sound quality. I will start with a list of equipment:

Recorder and mixer - Yamaha AW4416
Mics: Drums - 2 Oktava MC 319 for overheads (large diaphragm)
- A AKG D3600 for kick
- An Shure SM57Beta for snare

Guitar - The 2 Oktava's and the SM57 beta combined, Oktava's in AB stereo setup.

Bass - A Sanstech DI

Further I have pretty good cables, shockmounts for the oktava's, four stands (one small bassdrum, a medium one for everything and two large ones for the overheads).

The mic preamps on the 4416 were used and furtherest no other effect equipment or anything.

Now I'll start with a link to three songs that were recorded and mixed.
http://www.myspace.com/proudwish (don't mind the sad layout and stuff, just made it this week :p).

I'd like full feedback from you guys. Everything from comment on my equipment, the recording quality, the mixing etc. I'm doing this so I can learn and get my recordings better.

What I'd like to add is that this was recorded and mixed in 16 hours spread over two days (8 hours recording, 8 hours mixing).

So, please, burn me down and help me improve my recordings :D

I drummed this myself btw (my dad was doing the recording while I was playing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

gsHarmony, i listened to your song; i like it a lot! is this an original?
if it is you are quite a good songwriter! the mix sounds nice and spacious (i am listening through headphones).
the playing is professional. good work! :thu:

okta, what a cool beginning!
i would love to hear more of this once you get it done!

cheers!
~j.d.

• Members

ok here are two covers i recently recorded.
i have been recording for about a year, but have been a musician most of my life.
on the first recording 'No Need to Argue' it is just Digidesign's Velvet electric piano and my voice (main melody and harmony).
the second recording, 'Tiny Dancer', was an internet collaboration where i played piano and sang and sent the tracks to someone else to add drums and bass and strings.

No Need to Argue by the Cranberries
Tiny Dancer by John/Taupin

let me know what you think about the recordings!

thanks!
~j.d.

• Members
What do you think of my band? We're working on lots more songs and I'd welcome any comments/constructive criticism on the recording, song, lyrics, whatever. If you like us, add us and tell your friends! Thanks

I recorded it in my bedroom studio, the distorted guitar parts were done with a Fender blink 182 sig with duncan invader

http://www.myspace.com/katapneuma

dude that sounds hella good i usually dont like the sound of sampled drums but those sound amazing. they are sampled arent they? any way, nice job

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not sure if I have the right thread here. My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I've got a few songs that are ready for mastering and I'm looking for the right person, at the right price, to do the job.

Please check out "circularsawblademind" and let me know. (quickest way to contact me would be thru that myspace page)

Also, any critique regarding any of the songs are welcome. I recorded it all myself on my home DAW (Cubase, Edirol UA-1A, Mackie 1202 and a pair of KRK Rokit 5's); been only doing this for a few years now.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm just startin out really...open to all critiques..I am slowly building up my gear but decided I could not wait any more, so I just went for it....let me know what you guys think...I can take it.

I cant figure out how to compress it small enough to attach?? so I am linking to a my myspace site until I get quicktime pro. 3rd song down...
"Ice Turns to Water"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=132703842&MyToken=9bf0b57b-9b57-4501-b6ee-d74560c39774

Have Lyrics and Vocals will be laid down soon.

I am playing all instruments....I just went with one take and fooled around with editing in Garageband to learn how to navigate and edit a bit.

Drums_ recorded with 4 mics.

Overheads- are Rode Nt5's going into a RNP
Snare- is a SM57 into a Joemeek VC6( using the Comp and a tiny bit of the Q.
Kick- Audix D6 into SamsAmp BassDriver

Bass- Direct into The Brick.
Guitars-Podxt Pro...(forget which amp sim.)

All of the above into my Peavey 2012 PA..tape out into the back of my Imac G5 using Garageband.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

here are a couple of tunes i recorded recently... for the most part i didnt play on them, just engineered/produced

lemme know what you think needs to be changed on each of the songs.. they were all done with sony acid, an MXL mic and a behringer board... single input, stereo soundblaster card

www.myspace.com/acousticaudioarts

check out carolina and leave

thanks!

• Members

Hey, this is my first post in this part of the forum.

I'd like you guys to check out my temporary band's myspace page:

The Manix

And tell me what you think of the song called "Time On The Line." It was recorded at my house with a Mackie Micro-Series 1202 mixer and a SB X-FI. What do you think about about the mix?

• Members
http://www.MySpace.com/FiVe0SiX
Hi, I am looking for recording critique on my bands songs. Specifically the titled "Bruised". I have remix "Control" mostly for the sake of the "clean" guitars. But I'd love to get feedback & suggestions on the recording of both.

Thanks!

- Kevin

BTW...... These are unmastered recordings I guess I should mention.

• Members

Hey guys,

www.myspace.com/facepollutionband

Recorded, mixed, and 'mastered' by me. Was recorded for a local TV appearance. Band wanted it to have a bit of a live and raw vibe, which I think I captured, and I think for the most part it sounds ok. Although mic'ing the kick was a bit tough cause the drummer had set up a bass drum tunnel going from his 22" to his 16x16.

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • Members

what up fellas.

just got this updated mix. this is my band, VINIA, and its our song 'Ellis Denae'. I want your harshest.
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/ssharp/02%20-%20Vinia%20-%20Ellis%20Denae.m4a

I didnt do the recording, or the mixing. It was all done at a local studio 'Boho Digitalia'. (www.bohodigitalia.com)

Aside from the buzz at the beginning (guitarists guitar makes heinous noise), let me know what you hear, so I can take your valued opinions to the mix house.

Bands myspace:
www.myspace.com/vinia1

• Members

Looks like my first post or something.
Anyways. Just finished with two cover songs by my band.
What I'm wondering about is how it sounds, what could've been done better?
I'm a little curious if you think I made it "come alive" enough, and if not, what can I do to, well, make it come more alive?

You may hear these two songs at http://www.myspace.com/empireofdreamsband.