Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Originally posted by sdsweet

i love the drums in this mix. the snare cuts right though, and the kick has a nice thump. The guitars were a little overpowering, they seemed to consume everything.

thanks for listening --I guess the tune is mainly two guitars and my piano & bass..so maybe a little too guitar heavy...the kick/snare are my Trap Kat pads into the Kurzweil--the cymbals are my fingers on the keyboard....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi all. My band recently mixed one of our songs and would like to get some feedback on the overall project.

We're thinking about going back and tweaking some things that we've noticed.

The song can be found here Infinite Echo's song page , or here Infinite Echo's audio page - the song is called 'Echoes of Yesterday'.

We'd appreciate any and all comments you could give us.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

• Members

Really nice vibe there jgk62, the mix supports the song quite nicely. However I'd recommend working on your panning a little more, creating some more room in the middle for the vox, kick, snare and bass can give the centre more clarity. Plus i imagine that say, getting that ride out there to one side might open the mix up around the listener a bit more.

Another thing is, it might be good to have a bit more bass in the kick, and i mean really low bass, not too much but enough to let it move you a bit.

• Members

If anyone would be so kind to let me know what they think of my mixes, I would be much appreciative. I have really just gotten into recording this past year, all the rest of my 14 years of music was done in commercial studios. Now I use my Protools with the Mbox (1st one), a Line 6 POD XT, Schecter Guitar, Jackson bass direct into the MBox, a Rode NTK mic into the MBOX, and I mix with M Audio's BX8a speakers. I don't have any external gear yet, but I am soon to buy an Apogee Mini Me. Thanks to anyone that listens and comments,

www.myspace.com/newlyformedmindset

• Members

hey jamshack,

listening to Judge Me right now. Listening on crappy computer speakers.

The vocals sound great. Is that you singing? never mind I see that on your profile. You sound good.

The guitar tone sounds awesome, but they are a tad too loud IMO. I can't really hear the drums on these speakers. Even the cymbals seem low to me, which is odd to say, because I usually think cymbals need to be turned down.

Listening to Average Man now. The intro vocals seem to have a little too much verb or something. We you looking for a big room sound for this? I like the layering on this track a lot. Drums just kicked in, it sounds like there is some pumping from compression???

Cool stuff though dude... I'm gonna add ya...

• Members

Originally posted by sdsweet

hey jamshack,

listening to Judge Me right now. Listening on crappy computer speakers.

The vocals sound great. Is that you singing? never mind I see that on your profile. You sound good.

The guitar tone sounds awesome, but they are a tad too loud IMO. I can't really hear the drums on these speakers. Even the cymbals seem low to me, which is odd to say, because I usually think cymbals need to be turned down.

Listening to Average Man now. The intro vocals seem to have a little too much verb or something. We you looking for a big room sound for this? I like the layering on this track a lot. Drums just kicked in, it sounds like there is some pumping from compression???

Cool stuff though dude... I'm gonna add ya...

Thanks a lot man. Yeah I agree the reverb is a little heavy on the intro vocals. The drums in Judge Me are not too loud in my opinion but probably cause I have heard it on monitors, headphones, my car, etc. I actually cut about 2-3 db at 15 k on the drums cause the cymbals were too loud. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

• Members

Hi,

I'd love to get some feedback on the sound on this song. I'm considering shipping my demo around and this is a song from it. But, I'm not sure if it should be mastered or not, and if the mix is suitable for it. So before I pay for mastering I'd love some opinions.

Note that there are some sloppy mistakes on some of the takes, don't be bothered by it. :)

Thanks in advance!

http://home.online.no/~torgod/Demo07/CoaTD.mp3

//Anek

• Members

Originally posted by Anekdoten

Hi,

I'd love to get some feedback on the sound on this song. I'm considering shipping my demo around and this is a song from it. But, I'm not sure if it should be mastered or not, and if the mix is suitable for it. So before I pay for mastering I'd love some opinions.

Note that there are some sloppy mistakes on some of the takes, don't be bothered by it.
:)

Thanks in advance!

//Anek

The link doesn't work bud

• Members

Sorry about that. My ISP is a little weird, I think it'll work eventually tho'.

The second option: http://home.online.no/~torgod/Demo07/

If that doesn't work, can anybode recommend a good site for promoting music? I know myspace, but I don't like it too good because of some security issues on their site.

Hope it works!

//Anek

• Members

Thanks for the reply jamshack81.

First off: The recording levels suffer a bit, because I don't (at this moment) use a micpre before the signal hits the soundcard. It's only guitar preamp -> effects processors and then into the soundcard. That might be the issue?

Second: The drums are programmed (everything except the guitar is), and I didn't intend to keep it a secret. This is demo material, so it'll be a real drummer and everything once I find someone that wanna play with me. :)

And regarding myspace.. I registered there once, and then I got a few mails from the myspace crew saying I'd have to change password because of someone doing serious phishing on passwords and accounts etc. And if that wasn't enough, the scripts they use for customizing the myspace pages are easily tweaked. They might've upgraded since I last paid a visit tho'. And there's the issue with bulletins. I really thought everyone knew about these flaws. ;)

• Members

Hey guys, I normally hang out on the guitar forums, but thought this might be better suited here. I'm mixing a couple of tunes and want some input. First off, I am not a mixer, I'm a guitar player, I hate mixing, but I need this done now. I have a guy to the final mixes. Second, since I'm not a mixer don't worry about offending me, but if you think the song sux you can kindly keep that to yourself. :D

The first song is called Bringin' Me Down.

http://homepage.mac.com/gtrwiz/FileSharing1.html

One more thing, the first person to correctly name the two guitar players that inspired the solo will get a free copy of the CD, if I ever get it finished... ;)

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Sounds nice, but would love to hear vocals. I think it might be hard to stand out from the crowd without them...

Hi,

Note that there are some sloppy mistakes on some of the takes, don't be bothered by it.
:)

Thanks in advance!

//Anek