Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

NOTE: The following recordings were listened to on my work laptop with {censored}ty Apple earbuds, reflecting a lowest common denominator listening experience.

Let me know what you think:

http://sittinidol.com/SittinIdol_TheCurrent.mp3

http://sittinidol.com/Homestead.mp3

http://sittinidol.com/WestPoint.mp3

First of all, it's nice to see a Calgary band doing well (go Flames!).

The songs sound professionally mixed and mastered, but please correct me if I'm wrong. They are quite spacious and I can easily hear all the parts. The vocals, which sound like a cross between Eddie Vedder and James Hetfield, are featured, front and center in the mix - a decision that I agree with. I heard a bit of distortion in the vocals near the beginning of "The Current", but I'm not sure if this was intentional or even an mp3 artifact.

I haven't decided if I like the sound of the snare drum yet. I could argue that it sounds electronic in some of the softer areas (ie: the opening of "The Current"), and that it might have too much "snare" and not enough "crack" for this style of music. But then again, it doesn't sound bad in any way - I'd just be interested to hear what a different snare would sound like in these mixes.

I was trying to determine if any kind of pitch correction was being used on the vocals, but I couldn't come to any kind of conclusion. I thought I heard some correction artifacts at some point, but it might have been an aural illusion...

• Members

yk 42
thx for the reply!! my learning curve is sky rocketing right now and i know there are some ameture probs with these songs. but they are the only ones that are really done, and by done i mean taken off my hard drive so i would quit messin with em. now i wish i wouldnt have done that. anywho.. thx for the insight. you listen to the songs over and over and kinda lose your ear for what to fix. i need a fresh set of ears and a different perspective to tell me what im overlooking

• Members

Hi yk_42!

Thanks for the comments. The songs were recorded and mixed by myself, in my basement studio. They were professionally mastered which helped a lot in translating the mixes from system to system.

No pitch correction was used, on "The Current" you might hear a touch of flange maybe?

Thanks

• Members

hey y'all,

Here's a thing I was working on last night. I'm a newbie at this whole recording thing and I would really like to get some pointers to help me improve and create better sounding recordings.

The tracks were recorded in my spare bedroom with an mbox 2. I have 16 channel mixer which allowed me to use a bunch of mics on the drums and create a stereo mix to bring into pro tools. I also have a DBX166 which I used on the kick/snare, guitars, and vocals.

http://www.lcti.net/buckup-demo-mix2b.mp3

Thanks for the help!

• Members

my bands been together for about 2 months and wanted to make a demo to get more shows. i have an extremely simple setup(carvin mixer into the soundcard of my computer via 1/8 inch jack). i only get 1 channel of audio per instrument which means we had 6 drum mics to 1 mono channel. its not great but its good enough for a simple and free demo. tell me what you think.

www.myspace.com/trialbyfire07

• Members
Finally gettin the balls to let other people hear my stuff!! been glued to the corner of my room for a few years guess its time to see if it was all worth it:freak: whadda ye thinks me fine recording gents!!!??

http://www.myspace.com/lukeall

hope i posted it right

i really like the keyboards, i only recently came to the realization that most music is far better with them. good job i dig it

• Members

Hi all,

haven't been to the forums some weeks and what happened? Pretty n0ew system, nice one! I'm glad I've found this topic for I am pretty unsatisfied with my recordings lately.
Recording setup looks like this: 70's MusicMan copy with DM SuperDistortionII's into my pedalboard (no problems with it...) into line-in > GuitarRig2 (acts as amp) > Cubase

The result are tracks like theses: http://myspace.com/King800

For my taste the guitars are often to muddy and not "pointy" enough. The tracks are all kind of experimental but are supposed to contain basics of simple rock/punk riffs. So the sonic distortion is not intentional.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

thx for the reply maidenrules. i origionally started on classical piano at the age of 5 so as i got older it kinda stayed with me into my metally stuff. its a big part of most of my recordings. get this.. im doing this on acid pro for tracking, imported my own recorded drum sounds into fruity loops, recorded the beat and have an old warped ibanez electric through a $50 digitech pedal, and a sure58 for vocs. and im monitoring on a sony shelf system!!!:rolleyes: hahah dont laugh at me i do what i can with what i have. can ya tell?

• Members

Sorry for the duplicate post from Craig's forum, but...

Hey, my CD is done, officially available, etc., etc.

Tainted Rose Full song for free! (but it's just an mp3. You want the quality stuff - go buy the CD :D)

Take the "3 Minute Tour" A brief clip of each song on the disc.

Prowl around the website - you might find an interesting sub-page, you crazy jammers ;)

Buy the disc at CD Baby. Really. You'll love it.

cdbaby_stripetop_200_red.gif

hartzell.jpg

cdbaby_stripebottom_200_red.gif

• Members

Well here's a recording I finished with someone a while ago,

www.myspace.com/milz0rmusic

I wont share what equipment I did it with because I want people to be unbiased and judge it with their ears.

Any advice for getting a more professional sound would be great. I have a couple of ideas of what could be improved by I'd like some feedback first.

• Members

I would like to become more disciplined in removing elements from my tracks as they are pushed towards completion....take a listen and offer some insight and/or opinion regarding mix and arrangement......

(since everyone else seems to post links to myspace I will too)

www.myspace.com/digitalrecluse

http://download.yousendit.com/E972E3B610D30FC9 ( to get an mp3 of "Sexual Predator")

• Members
Well here's a recording I finished with someone a while ago,

www.myspace.com/milz0rmusic

I wont share what equipment I did it with because I want people to be unbiased and judge it with their ears.

Any advice for getting a more professional sound would be great. I have a couple of ideas of what could be improved by I'd like some feedback first.

hey, that sounds really good. i like how well the backing vocals fit into the mix under the lead. it also makes it obious to me that having a good acoustic guitar actually makes a difference. i think i'm gonna have to go borrow my uncles. i like the song by the way.

• Members

Alright I'm just going to post and see what I get back. This song is not finished recording and isn't finished mixed either, this is with a new setup to me so I'm still learning how to use it. Pay no attention to the other songs, they were recorded using older stuff.

www.soundclick.com/damnationwithoutrepresentation

Listen to Commercial Ways (Preview, Rough Mix)

I'm thinking the organ can go down a little bit and the acoustic needs some work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Members

I would like some criticism/feedback on my songs + the potential album cover.keep in mind that these were done on a not very good pc but now that i have my mac i will take the time to go through each song and make it "perfect" so please think of them more as rough drafts rather than complete mixes.i thank you ahead of time.

ps:this is more electronica/trip-hop NOT rock or any other genre.

www.myspace.com/mihaimusic

-mihai

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What do you think of my band? We're working on lots more songs and I'd welcome any comments/constructive criticism on the recording, song, lyrics, whatever. If you like us, add us and tell your friends! Thanks

I recorded it in my bedroom studio, the distorted guitar parts were done with a Fender blink 182 sig with duncan invader

http://www.myspace.com/katapneuma

• 2 weeks later...