Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Just recorded a clip featuring my F50. The song is called "False Positive"...it was done by my band Bury You. There is two electronic drum tracks, one guitar track, and two vocal tracks. The F50 is recorded on contour channel with no effects. I love the beefy sound this amp puts out....it destroys worlds. I know the vocal takes are kind of weak, and the mix needs work.....but we recorded this in about 2 hours with no re-takes. Just wanted to get the idea down. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bury You ----- False Positive

• Members

Hi,

This is my first post in here, and also my first attempt at 'proper' recording. I'd love to hear everyone's views on it, good or bad.

I play a Lakewood M1 and i recorded it with a Shure PG57 around the 12th fret pointing slightly towards the sound hole, and a PG58 about 3-4 feet away.

The vocals are done in quite a few takes as my friend michaela had never sung into a mic before and she was really nervous. I used the PG58 for vocals.

I ran the mics through my old Allen & Heath System8 16-4-2 mixer and into a SB live 5.1 card. I added a tiny bit of 'room' reverb to everything and rolled off the bass from the guitar cos it was a bit too bassy.

I still don't have any proper monitors so I'm still using a hifi which i know is not good but i don't have much cash. To make up for it, i do A/B my recordings with other bought CDs and also listen to them a lot on other hifis, etc....

There are two versions on there, at the bottom of the page, the second is the one i've just re-done today after listening to a few suggestions from people on another forum.

Anyway, the site is http://www.putfile.com/johnnydmonic, and they are the bottom two.

I'd really appreciate some input/advice. Thanks a lot :)

• Members

Here's my first upload for comment. I'm doing this mix for a friend. I haven't done any mixing in almost 2 years and am feeling that my mixing muscles have gone a little soft. I think I hear a couple of things I want to change already but was hoping for some extra input.

I'm mixing in Sonar 4, mostly using the Sonitus plug-ins and the Pantheon for reverb.

After mixing I brought it into Har-Bal for a little tweaking. I'm using v2.2 beta that has a new feature called air. I think I may have applied too much.

Anyway would love to hear some feedback on Spirit of Joy

Thanks,

Marc

• Members

@ hush - i love the track! I thought overall it sounded pretty damn good although i'd agree there's a bit too much reverb overall. I'd add that IMHO the bass guitar could be a touch louder, and i thought that the panning on the flute and the bongos was a bit extreme. I'm no expert though (i'm trying to get feedback on my recording too!) so this is just my inexperienced opinion.

• Members

Traveling Man http://www.redshift.com/~cjogo/TUNES/travlin%20man.mp3

No "real" drums here. Drums were performed on the keyboard--two fingers ,, 10 tracks. All sequenced = nothing burned to the DAW. The trick for me is to play every drum fill~performance with layered tracks. So...each cymbal crash/ride/hat has maybe 2-3 tracks > each being a different sample and played on top of each other > at different intervals. That way, as one rolling cymbal attack maybe dropping its volume , the second track takes over the cresendo. My tom fills are are played on a seperate track & copied and then 2 different samples are blended. The completed performance is then sent out the 16 seperate outputs > from our Kurzweil samplers to the direct analogs of the VS2480..EQ/automixed/effected and mixed into the 24 tracks of the recorded band. Maybe totally different approach :: but this has been our method > since the first sequencer could sync to recorders.

The three guitarist > were all direct. One take--just fun in the studio.

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

I dug this out of the archives. It's an old Hoyt Axton tune.

Lion in the Winter

Recorded into stereo cassette deck. Mic on vocal and one on guitar and the guitar pickup was, if I remeber right, blended in too. The song was played to Ardour to get the wav file and I used Audacity to convert to mp3.

No processing of any kind, other than the coversion. It's raw as performed.

Nice rendetion ...I was a neighbor of Hoyt's in the mid 70's...we both were performing 'round Tahoe. Knew Bambi in the early days of Tahoe... Our guitar/banjo player joined Hoyt in late 70's

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

I take it the guitars are supposed to sound out of tune??

The performances sound good. The mix sounded pretty darn good too.. I like the song.

Yeah guitars were purposely tuned this way. We didn't have the spare effects > back in the cassette days. He tried to achieve a chorusy-detune sound..playing a mandolin and 2 guitars ---tuned just enough apart..

thanks for listening~~ I think not >bad for a 58 into a early Tascam 8 channel board, for the pres >> to a Tascam 238 cassette/

• Members

i recorded this at home

guitar: gibson les paul standard

guitar effect: Line 6 POD xt (with extension packs)

bass: Warwick streamer 5 strings

Drum: VST battery 2

Recording Software: Cubase 3

Mic: CAD M9

mic pre: beringher VX2496

plug in: WAVES

interface: M-audio 1010LT

hi guys, its a metal song, could anyone tell me whats the problems with the mix? it just sounds crap... thanks... btw.. forget about the vocal, my fd only did it in 2 takes.. cheers..

http://www.purevolume.com/hongkongmetalband

• Members

Originally posted by chili1222

i recorded this at home

guitar: gibson les paul standard

guitar effect: Line 6 POD xt (with extension packs)

bass: Warwick streamer 5 strings

Drum: VST battery 2

Recording Software: Cubase 3

Mic: CAD M9

mic pre: beringher VX2496

plug in: WAVES

interface: M-audio 1010LT

hi guys, its a metal song, could anyone tell me whats the problems with the mix? it just sounds crap... thanks... btw.. forget about the vocal, my fd only did it in 2 takes.. cheers..

It sounds really good to me, actually.

You didn't mention what you were using for monitors...?

I hear some digital/mp3 distortion, of course, but the mix sounds good to me... guitar and bass equal, drums are loud, vocals aren't too high.

The kick drum could come down just a tiny bit, but other than that... it sounds ok to me. Great guitar tone.

• Members

Originally posted by Fiery Furnace

It sounds really good to me, actually.

You didn't mention what you were using for monitors...?

I hear some digital/mp3 distortion, of course, but the mix sounds good to me... guitar and bass equal, drums are loud, vocals aren't too high.

The kick drum could come down just a tiny bit, but other than that... it sounds ok to me. Great guitar tone.

Thanks Fiery,

i will try to fix up the drum

The monitor i used is ESI nEar05 (korean made, i think they copied the design of M-audio BX8a, good for beginer like me, cheap) and AKG271... yea i always get some kind of digital/mp3 distortion in my mix.. maybe i always try to max the volume of the song and finally mess it up... does anyone has any ideas on how to do it probably? cheer

• Members

Originally posted by GuitarPLayer61990

It's a pretty good metal mix, one thing is that the drums could use more balls definitely, I love the guitar tones, and the vocals are too quiet (along with the bass guitar).

Thanks man, i better spend some more time on the drum and definitely have to record the vocal again... cheers...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Hush

Anyway would love to hear some feedback on
Spirit of Joy

Sounds great in my headphones. I'd say the drums could come up a little. I don't have a problem with the reverb, I think it fits the overall "airy" feel of the tune.

The bongos (i think that's what they are) surprised me a little when they came in so hard to the left...

• Members

Originally posted by chili1222

i recorded this at home

Originally posted by GuitarPLayer61990

It's a pretty good metal mix, one thing is that the drums could use more balls definitely, I love the guitar tones, and the vocals are too quiet (along with the bass guitar).

I agree, 100% about the drums and vocal. But over all this sounds REALLY good to me. I'm about to post something that I think sucks by comparison.

I LOVE the guitars on this. you said this was a POD right? How do those work? I think I need one.... :D