Is your recording / mix any good? Find out here!

• Members

Originally posted by ProducerNate

I have been recording since I was 17 (I'm 20 now). I started out at my high school auditorium, but now own my own
gear
I rent out a room in a local practice space to use as a studio, and I share the space with two people (both have bands). The sample I have is with one of the bands,
Karenin's Smile
. The name of the song is "Marissa."

I used the Oktava MC012s as drum overheads, 57 on snare, Beta 92 on kick. There are a lot of keyboards on the song, as well as several guitar tracks. The production on them was pretty standard - line in for keys and mostly a 57 on guitars. I want a general overview of the song, mainly in terms of production, but musical critique is fine, too. Listen especially the bridge, which comes in around 2:40.

*I will warn you now, some people like the singer's voice, and some hate it*

Current demo tracks
listen as you please, I will post more songs here in the coming weeks

Marissa

I really liked this song and the vocals. Very Pavement-esque as someone else mentioned. I would say the production sounds right on except the drums sound a bit weak to me, erspecially in the bridge. Maybe the guitars were too loud in that part but it seemed to make the drums sound far away in the mix. I really dug it though.

• Members

Producer nate, I think that's a really good sounding track. I have a handful of problems with it though.

Firstly, the guitar tone is hot, very pavement ish, but it sits a little too far left for me.

The way drums, vocals, and especially the gutiars are panned, it feels like everything is really competeing when full band starts rockin out.

The tamborine sound is a great idea, but is really lost on my speakers, a pair of logitech home computer junky speakers and a 10" sub.

The drum sound is good, but there's some highs, that I myself have had a really big problem getting rid of, that sort of attack the ears coming from the over heads.

Acoustic guitar track is really hot, same with that rhodes sound, but I think that they are really contrasting sounds that are a bit wierd... really crystal clear rhodes sound and synth sound (panned too far right maybe) and they stand out HARSH from the mix. Try to soften them up with another pre? Maybe the lightest touch of a small room verb.

Cool music though, definitly

• Members

Originally posted by psycho chemist

Well, here's a trial. I've recorded a trio this weekend - piano, flute and violin.

Link to the song

The digital piano was recorded directly to an Audiophile 192, stereo. The flute and violin were overdubs, so there were lots of bleeds from each track. Sennheiser e835 for the flute, a homemade mic based on telephone capsules for the violin. Cheap mixer preamps on the overdubs chain.

Audacity was the software, freeware plugins have been used too.

Violin at center, the other ones were panned 20%, opposite.

Any replies are very welcome.

Hey, I really dig the sound, especially from the digital piano, it's some of the best digital piano sound I've heard in a long time. The Violin is getting a ton of surface sound that I don't think most listeners are used to hearing. That could be from a hanful of things.

#1, try micing the violin in a good room, using a room mic and a direct mic, and blend heavy on the room side.

#2, Have the violinist use less abrasive strings, something like a eudoxa just sound richer in tone, less like a karate chop.

He or she is also struggeling a bit with intonation, which is just inherintly hard on a stringed instrument. causes a sharp pierce to the sound sometimes.

Lastly, the vibratto the violinist uses is a little to spastic. Try to encourage a more controlled and developed sound. When playing legatto, a really quick vibratto sounds out of place, it needed a bit wide vibratto sound, changing with the speed of the passage.

Good luck

• Members

Originally posted by sneakyjesus

Hey, I really dig the sound, especially from the digital piano, it's some of the best digital piano sound I've heard in a long time. The Violin is getting a ton of surface sound that I don't think most listeners are used to hearing. That could be from a hanful of things.

#1, try micing the violin in a good room, using a room mic and a direct mic, and blend heavy on the room side.

#2, Have the violinist use less abrasive strings, something like a eudoxa just sound richer in tone, less like a karate chop.

He or she is also struggeling a bit with intonation, which is just inherintly hard on a stringed instrument. causes a sharp pierce to the sound sometimes.

Lastly, the vibratto the violinist uses is a little to spastic. Try to encourage a more controlled and developed sound. When playing legatto, a really quick vibratto sounds out of place, it needed a bit wide vibratto sound, changing with the speed of the passage.

Good luck

Hi there,

Thanks for replying.

Well, I had some huge problems. First I had to record it at the violinist living room. Second, the violinist wouldn't use headphones to overdub. The violinist was using a good instrument, but too old strings. I've asked her to change strings a week before the recording (time enough for the strings sit well and hold the tuning), but she just didn't. If you listen carefully, you might notice some arch touching the body of the instrument as well. Oh, my, she's 60 or so...

As for the digital piano, it was a Yamaha, can't tell which model, but it was one with furniture. No EQ on that, no effects, just plugged into the card and didn't mess with the piano tracks. I wanted it to give the lows missing on the other instruments.

Ten hours recording, twenty mixing... Five songs... A fifteen minute demo. Isn't that amazing?

Thanks for the tips, a room mic would definitely improve the sound. However, mic placement would take the time they had to track. They're pretty satisfied with what they got, especially due to all restrictions imposed by time.

:wave:

• Members

This is my first visit to this forum. I usually post in OJ, Electric Guitars and the Political SSS forum.

Check out my recordings/mixes/masters....

This is modern rock music recorded with Power Tracks 9.0 Multi-tracking software, Sony Acid 3.0 software and drum loops and T-racks for Mastering. I have my own project, PC-based studio set up in my house.... nothing fancy, all affordable stuff you can buy out of a Musician's Friend or AMS catalog.

I realize there's going to be some initial prejudice because I use drum loops instead of a "live" drummer.:o

http://www.myspace.com/jovianoblivion

• Members

Menjop,

Thanks for the reply and the input. I will be listening to others soon.

First the disclaimer - I am an amateur with some pro studio experience, and have a CD out that has had some independent airplay here and abroad. The monitor chain: PC out to Mindprint D/A converters to a SONY stereo amnplifier to KRK ST6's. I listen in a dedicated studio that is treated.

The song sounds really good - I especially like the bass and the feel. Very crisp.

A couple of questions - did you intend for the breath sounds on the lead vocals? Right or wrong, if it were me, I would have softened the guitars on the intro, with a warmer, dreamy feel, perhaps EQ the highs down a bit and add some compression. The LA2A setting on sonitus FX compressor can do that well, then and let it build up to the guitar sound you use with the whole band.

Nice job on the song, and nice performance.

:thu:

• Members

Wow, excellent! Did you use the Tascam for your A/D converters on this? Which preamps did you use?

I really like her voice and the song.

I really liked the balance between her voice and the beginning and the end with just the piano. When the acoustic guitar came in and the rest of the instruments I thought that they could be softer - it seemed to take attention away from her voice, and not back it up. I don't think you need anything else out front with her - just soft support in a very Norah Jones kinda of way.

Nice job. She is good.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks for the critique. Yeah, those are the tascam converters (my only option as of now) I don't think they sound terrible. I used the RNP exclusively for pretty much everything miced in the song except the bass which I went direct with and used the sansamp bass DI.

About the instrument levels... I have gone back and forth on this and actually have a few mixes where her singing is more upfront... I think it works though, even with her voice buried a bit.

Give me some more opinions guys

• Members

bjorked,

Singer has a nice voice and everything sounds real good through my headphones.

When the guitar comes in, it seems that the piano has been shifted to the right side of the stereo field while the guitar occupies the left. This seems unnatural, the switching. The guitar also seems to be louder than the piano so it doesn't feel balanced. Production wise the song feels empty instrument wise and rhythmically. I hear lots of opportunities for a percussionist with a variety of instruments to fill it up, especially since the melodic phrases are short and leave plenty of space in between. Just a suggestion to try and see if it works.

It's a melancholy song. Maybe it's me, but melancholy love songs aren't so frequent in pop music. Being a pop music fan, I hear music in that perspective. I can hear you giving this song a more, desparate and intense feel. The phrase "I'd give anything" seems to feel resigned instead of having the emotional and punch such a phrase would usually be expressing. Also, in the middle of the song the phrase, "I'd give anything" is repeated once. I'd add an additional repeat in between. The phrase is a like a cry out and in the middle we hear a guitar aprgeggio? I can hear harmonies in the singing arrangement too.

Production is a thankless task, because there's always some backseat driver like myself with different ideas.

Overall good work though.

• Members

bjorked-

i'm someone that likes unconventional sounds - i actually like that the piano shifts to the right during the song, and that the acoustic guitar sounds unusually loud. it really depends on what you aim for though. as it is, it's a great indie/ alternative song (if it must be categorized) - if you wanted a "commercial/ polished sounding" track it would be different, but i have a feeling that it's not the direction you want to go anyway. it sounds exciting and interesting to me as it is.

apologies for having only vague suggestions but i'd personally try to find a way to EQ and make the guitar sound a bit *thinner* (it's cool to have a big presence in the mix, but it does sound a bit too boomy, sometime to the point it's too much on my ears through my headphones. also, many big sounds seem concentrated on the left channel, so i might want to shift the pan a tiny bit). i wouldn't do anything on the piano, it's also dynamic and it might be a bit problematic, it'd leave it as it is. the vocal sounds nice. i'd experiment with EQing on the guitar and percussions, to gel with the piano and the voice present.

i like the way each instrument is recorded. really intimate.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Yo, folks...

A cover tune for ya...all me...except for my trusty offspring Andrew on the drums...

Walk Away Renee

I think it turned out kinda cool...
:D

I don't know why the dumb {censored}ing thing INSISTS on tagging it with "I found a love" by M-Factor...
:confused:

Move over Alice Cooper >>> great vocal take!!! Nice rendition

• Members

Originally posted by stratmahon

bump. anyone?
:)

Finally getting a chance to listen...Soundclick always gives me a pain...

So far nice...like the dreamy sort of almost ambient groove.

To my ear I would have brought a bit more bass into the mix...I like that dotted eighth/sixteenth feel on the bass (that old Heart "Magic Man" groove, which is cool)...I'd bring it forefront and kick it a bit.