Greatest Individual Geniuses in Music 1960s on

myshkin

• Members

Originally posted by Gabriel E.

With a few exceptions, this list has been pretty white so far. Interesting considering most Western pop music is heavily blues and R&B based.

That's 'cuz we were waiting for you to stop by and fix it. :D

Has anyone mentioned Quincy Jones yet?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Bob Dylan (for creating something completely new)

Pete Townsend (unique, uncomprimising vision)

Jimmy Page (mostly for his vision/production)

Jon Brion (Victrola symphonies)

Brian Wilson (he brought depth to pop)

Stevie Wonder (just 'cause)

Tom Waits (insane?)

Jimi Hendrix (for creating something completely new)

Marvin Gaye (for channeling God's voice)

Paul McCartney (just 'cause)

Chuck Berry (great lyricist)

Robbie Robertson (for twisting the ordinary into the sublime)

• Members

George Clinton- Not for genious with musical theory, but genius with musical application.

On the recent PBS special, George mentioned that the song "Freak Of The Week" had over 60 musicians on it!!

He said there were different people used in just about every new segment or change of the song. There were opera singers, scat vocalists, banjo players, rock guitar. Etc etc.

He mentioned that more and more people kept asking to be on the song, so he just thought that was a good way to do it. The original song was a basic recording of a Moog bass & lead, guitar and Piano tracks from Junie Morrison.

That's just sic.. genius sic.

More here (click on productions)

Catch the PBS special

Let me also mention the incredibly sic, repugnantly funky genious of:

Trevor Horn!

My goodness the things he's done with abstract sounds as musical samples is beyond words!!

Then, on the complete other side of the spectrum is the beautiful, melodic, and futuristic 'Moments In Love' from Art Of Noise.

Have you listened to that track lately?:thu:

Trevor Horn is the truth!!

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

George Clinton- Not for genious with musical theory, but genius with musical application.

On the recent PBS special, George mentioned that the song "Freak Of The Week" had over 60 musicians on it!!

He said there were different people used in just about every new segment or change of the song.

I used to work with Jim Vitti an engieer that was involved in many of the Parliment/Funkadelic records. He told me that the sessions were pure chaos. Drugs everywhere. He would record reels and reels of overdubs becasue George would try everything and anything. Jim Vitti would spend days editing the 24 track tapes down to usable working versions.

In the only PFunk session I ever attended it was like something out of a Peter Max painting. The engineers and technical people involved deserve a lot of credit for George Clintons success. They took complete chaos and turned into music.

Other names.

Tom Dowd.

Joni Mitchell.

Bob Dylan.

Stevie Wonder.

Prince.

Duane Allman.

• Members

"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Benjamin Franklin

Herbie Hancock-Keyboards, synth, funk, jazz all rolled into one

Jaco Pastorius-life changing influence on a generation of bassists

Ravi Shankar-Taught George to play Sitar and became a symbol of pop counter culture-even if not everyone understood what he was all about.

Paul McCartney-from Ed Sullivan to the present day, has anyone been more prolific?

A little early for 1960 -present, but can anyone argue with Ray Charles?

Jimmy Page-Okay, Okay, some may argue, but how influential was Led Zeppelin's music?

• Members

If we are talking true genius and not just talented musicians, here is my list:

Stanley Jordan

Yo Yo Ma

Frank Zappa

Springsteen(the other Bruce)

Kerry Minnear of Gentle Giant

Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant

Rod Argent

Herbie Hancock

Alanis Morissette

Jeff Beck

Jared Leto (30 seconds to mars and talented actor)

Mark Mothersbaugh (Devo)

Jim Morrison

Van Morrison

Sting

Joss Stone

Lowell George (Little Feat)

Steve Winwood

Tori Amos

Tony Levin

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

So what we are saying here is that you have to be a genius to make music that gets noticed ....?

Not necessarily.

I think we are discussing musical geniuses.

Some folks make music that gets noticed, but it has to do with a genius other than music. Marketing for instance. By that measure, Madonna is a genius.

• Members

So what we are saying here is that you have to be a genius to make music that gets noticed ....?

No. What is being said is that hard work and dedication are the main ingredients in genius, these listed names are the people who figured that out.

And yes, in order to get noticed you have to work very hard and be very dedicated. To what degree you do that will determine how many people on a thread like this will type your name.

I strongly believe that people who make music that communicates something attractive to other people will be heard and will become known over time.

Where the confusion and all the bull{censored} about "oh this band is so talented but they can't get a break" or this or that kinda crap comes from, is where the artist is "out to get noticed" as opposed to "out to make their art".

And books like "Ruthless self promotion in the music business" etc only steer people in a ridiculous direction away from what it is all about and make failure imminent.

Bad music without the right ingredients and intentions will fail.

The good stuff will not.

It may not get on clear channel, but it will succeed in it's own way.

The universe is self balancing.

It's all about balance and we have no choice but to live with the reality of that.

• Members

Duke

Stevie wonder

Mike Stipe

Morrisey

Miles

Steve Gadd

Sonny Rollins for sure!:)

Aretha

Al Green

Gladys Knight

Mutt Lang

Sco

Led Zeppelin

The Beatles

I think sometimes genius come collectively.

Personally, i don't get Brian Wilson at all.

I was filling in for someone in a band tonight and we played a song called "save a horse ride a cowboy" .

It's not genius but it was kinda fun.

And i hate modern country.

So i guess there is more to music than genius.

I'm going to bed now.:freak:

• Members

Well genius here has been farly loosely interpreted I'd say, but what the hell....everyone loves a music list.

Archived