Is it weird to like a cheap guitar more than an expensive one?

ILikeGuitar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't really have anything that expensive, but right now I'm liking my 50 dollar MIA used Peavey Predator more than my 350 dollar MIM Fender HSS Strat... It has a much nicer sound than the MIM even with stock pickups, and the neck feels a lot better. anyone here own expensive guitars but sometimes find that they like one of their cheaper models better? or is this just me?

Why would you find that odd?

• Members

Well I mean does the whole "you get what you pay for" thing apply to guitars?

Not always... I have many "expensive" guitars that aren't very good, one in particular that is a raging piece of {censored} and many "cheap" guitars that totally rock in every way.

OGG

• Members

I don't think I would ever pay more than 600 bucks for a guitar. Once you get over that price range all you are paying for is 1. The name 2. The name brand pickups they put in to jack the price up 200-400 dollars when you can get them yourself for cheaper.

• Members

I only joined HC about 4 months ago but when I think back it seems that the majority of my posts have been arguing the case of the worth and quality of relatively inexpensive guitars as oppposed to some of the more expensive instruments available on the market (although, of course, "posh" guitars are often great too!).

It is, therefore, gratifying to observe the comments submitted in this thread which, by and large, seem to support my stance.

• Members

I don't really have anything that expensive, but right now I'm liking my 50 dollar MIA used Peavey Predator more than my 350 dollar MIM Fender HSS Strat... It has a much nicer sound than the MIM even with stock pickups, and the neck feels a lot better. anyone here own expensive guitars but sometimes find that they like one of their cheaper models better? or is this just me?

Predators are damn fine guitars if you have a good one.

I could care less what a guitar costs really.

I am Partial to Gibson, Fender and Agile but I think that's just vanity really.

There arestill some pretty {censored}y low cost stuff out there but there's sure as hell a ton of great guitars costing very little coin nowadays compared to when I was a wee lad.

• Members

As a side note, I feel the MIM Strat is the Best deal in the electric guitar buisness today.

Any Agile is a very close second. And really should be ahead of the MIMs but for the fact the MIMs have a true Fender headstock and Decal. Those $400.00 Agile Tele and Strat copies are really equivelant to fenders higher end American line but with even better pickups!!

• Members

I've got a cheapy. My parents bought me a Silvertone Strat copy package (came with a cheap 10 watt amp, picks, cable, strap, chart, ect ect ect) I love that guitar. I've been playing for 10 years and have had about 15 guitars (they come and go) and i still have the Silvertone. Out of all the guitar I've had, it stays in tune the BEST believe it or not. I haven't tuned it in a long time. Guess I got a major gem.

• Members

or bang for the buck?

my danelectro kicks arse so hard.

danelectro59DC.jpg

• Members

I have lots of cheapo's, and I love them as much as my more expensive ones (not that I have anything really pricey). The Skunk Baxter quote from Brewski above says it all. If it's playable and I can make it sound good, I don't care about the rest.

Some of my fave gigs ever have been with cheapo guitars, and some of my "higher quality" USA guitars were also got at bargain prices.

If it rocks, it's all good!

birfday2005allBKlunge.jpg

Fri13BKkneel.jpg

angleNOW71200.jpg

IMG_GOh677JJ.JPG

IMG_6C2vXt6K.JPG

• Members

what is it? Can't see the headstock

It's a Coxx, cheap brand which I've only seen in Germany so far. I made my own tele pickup by using the super hot DiMarzio DP110 single coil and gluing the baseplate from the old tele pickup on it. Then I added a middle pickup (which I routed a little off-center :freak:) and installed another single coil in the neck position. Put in a strat 5-way switch and it was done. :D

• Members

What about all the cool guitarists back in the days who played Teles, Strats or Esquires when they could have been using Jazzmasters or Jaguars?

Top-of-the-range wasn't always top-of-the-tree.

• Members

And the Daisy Rock is a bold choice of guitar. Very cool!

Haha, thanks, but I was not so much "bold" as "cheap." Those went on special awhile back for $120 shipped and it was just after I'd gotten some birthday money in. I figured I could at least play it in my main (punk) band, but figured it would probably be veto'd as too "outre'" for my side bands (roots, power pop/rock). Oddly, that photo was from my second side band, whose leader basically insisted I play the guitar at that show, after I played it at a pre-show run-through with him earlier that same night (that gig was my offical debut as a guitarist in that band, I'd previously sat in on bass a couple times when they were short-handed). In my roots side band our drummer (who also plays guitar) loves the tone from those mini's and is lobbying hard for me to play it with them too!

Crazy world sometimes. :thu:

• Members

I have nothing against cheap, but decent guitars. They can make great platforms for mods and upgrades too. I recently bought a used Jay Turser Les Paul gold-top copy for less than $100 that I'm upgrading with a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Gibson 500T in the bridge and Sperzel locking tuners - all parts I have laying around from other guitars. There are acutally some things about this guitar that I like better than my Gibson Les Paul.

• Members

My whole attitude on guitars has changed. Like evryone else has said, if it play good and sounds good, and happens to be inexpensive, then buy it. There was a time that I wouldn't have been caught dead playing a Squire. Now, my $199 Squire Standard Strat is a favorite. Same with my Ibanez Artcore. $300 and that thing plays and sounds as good as any expensive semi hollow body I've tried. I've been looking at Tele's lately and will probably go with a Squire Standard. I put it up against a far more expensive Fender and really couldn't tell much of a difference.

• Members

Then buy a car with good breaks, audi does not have a monopoly on them.

It has more to do with, than breaks. It's also about weight distribution, wheel response, traction and control. Cars can't just buy that if they aren't designed right. You should drive an Audi or BMW if you haven't and you'll appreciate it compared to say.. a ford

Good gear plays easier/better because things are tuned to one another. But I still like a good cheap guitar to practice on. It takes me back to my roots and helps me appreciate subtle differences/improvements in my Fender lonestar MIA, plus it saves on fret wear. ;)

• Members

I dislike the PRS's in my local AXE Music store, and they're among the most expensive in the store.

If it's not for you, It doesn't matter what the price tag is.

I never was a fan of theirs until I played a singlecut SE, which I would label a mid-priced guitar. Bought one and love it.

I've owned a multitude of guitars but none over $600 and what I've generally found is the cheaper the guitar the more mods are needed. Also, the cheapies almost always need a set up versus the next price tier where the set ups are often decent off the wall. If you figure a $100 to $200 guitar plus another $50 to $150 in pickups and $20 to $40 on a setup, you're still getting out cheap versus $500+ guitars. However I've never played a cheap guitar that was great off the wall.

I know it may be shallow, however I love transparent finishes and one of the most neglected areas in cheap guitars is the quality and cosmetics of the wood. I won't consider a guitar with a solid finish so that rules out most of the cheapies out there for me.

• Members

Peavey makes great stuff and always has IMO, talking USA made. Not to discriminate however, I have some killer Korean, a Japanese and a Mex that are about as good as it gets IMO. Recently got in on that Baja deal for my daughter and gotta say I am still amazed at the quality, (though it's still a ways off from top notch professional quality).

I went to GC to kill an hour the other day (appointment) and tried a few guitars. A custom shop Tele I played was really Ice picky and hard to find a good useable Tele tone and a 1600 dollar Strat lost volume on the high B and E. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean great and visa versa.

TLC is a lot of it IMO. I've bought guitars that were not perfect to begin with and worked on them and made them damn close, better than most anything I play at GC anyways. Sometimes just a little shielding or changing a nut can make a world of difference IMO.

Don't you think the cork sniff crowd would have laughed Eddie Van Halen and his $200 taped up Frankenstrat with an empty cavity, out of here before they heard him play. Andy Summers bought that famous Police Tele used for $200 as well. All it takes is one decent guitar and somebody that takes the time to learn how to play and create on it.:thu:

Archived