mods that i can do to my strat?

ilovemystrat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks nice, but a little 'plain jane'.

Pop a set of these pickups in there with the clear pickup covers - blue guitar with blue coiled PUs.

Add these knobs.

And use this pickguard. NB there's also a black pearl version if you prefer.

So you can keep you original pickguard intact if you want to return to stock then fit this set of pots and switch but using these caps (I prefer 0.022uf in a strat - I never need my guitar THAT muddy).

Now to add that final touch of toothsome twang I'd replace the trem with one of these trems. Should drop right in (MIJ strats have US width trem screws) and replace the pot-metal trem that comes as standard.

• Members

You need it to have more mojo?! It's perfect! Umm, maybe you could put in some other pickups. Anything "vintage" by the trusted names, and not noisless, will be great. You could do some extra wiring, but that will just make it more versatile; it won't add mojo.

Seriously, just change your amp settings. Your guitar is great.

• Members

(imo) That guitar looks cool the way it is. The only "MOJO" it may need is the " I have been played alot" kind of Mojo that playing a guitar alot has.

But..........seeing on how you want to change it.........

The pots, switch and such look fine to me. What kind of voicing do the pickups have and what kind of voicing do you want instead? What amp are you playing it through?

• Members

(imo) That guitar looks cool the way it is. The only "MOJO" it may need is the " I have been played alot" kind of Mojo that playing a guitar alot has.

But..........seeing on how you want to change it.........

The pots, switch and such look fine to me. What kind of voicing do the pickups have and what kind of voicing do you want instead? What amp are you playing it through?

a vox pathfinder 10

• Members

I wouldn't change much. It's beautiful and adequately made.

I would immediately move that blue wire on the switch to the empty terminal next to it. That will make the far tone work on the bridge pup. Much more useful to me.

You could put some orange drop caps in it. That should make you feel better.

When the switch gives you any trouble, replace it with the best one available.

PLAY IT!

• Members

a vox pathfinder 10

Hmmm...If I am not mistaken that is a small solid state amp. If it were me, I would keep the guitar stock and throw my money into some kind of pedal that has some tubes in it. That would warm things up a bit and mabye get you the "mojo" you seek. Something like an Electro-Harmonix English muffin.

You will def' hear a dif' with a pup change but with an amp that size I am not sure how much of a dif' it will make. YMMV

• Members

I would immediately move that blue wire on the switch to the empty terminal next to it. That will make the far tone work on the bridge pup. Much more useful to me.

You could put some orange drop caps in it. That should make you feel better.

When the switch gives you any trouble, replace it with the best one available.

PLAY IT!

Do exactly as DC says. :thu:

Maybe change to a mint pickguard.

• Members

My thoughts exactly....and get a small tube amp....a decent 5 watt tube amp will make almost anything sound glorious.

• Members

any suggestions? remember cheap?

i'm in japan however i can't be loud

Unfortunately, cheap, quiet and tube do not equate. You'd need to buy a attenuator to do quiet and get any crunch in your tone. Save up and splurge on a Vox AD30VT.....

• Members
Unfortunately, cheap, quiet and tube do not equate. You'd need to buy a attenuator to do quiet and get any crunch in your tone. Save up and splurge on a Vox AD30VT.....

a 10 watt solid state is too lound for japanese apartments

most people just practice ampless at home and their amp is the studio's. no joke.

i think i be better off with a decent set of headphones and a mutli-effects (gt8 anyone?)...

and i think my strat has no mojo cuz my les paul stole it all :eek:

Archived