Clean, clear, bright single coil tone from a humbucker?

Blueboner

• Members

If I have a dual humbucker guitar, but I want clear, clean, bright single coil tone (Strattish, Teleish...you know), am I out of luck? Or will a humbucker sized P-90 possibly fill the bill? I've only had experience with maybe one or two P-90 guitars, and I found the tone to be way too middy and a bit honky to pull of the clean, clear, bright single coil tone?

How are those GFS Mean 90's for this tone?

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to get a Tele or Strat sound out of a mahogany guitar with hum-sized P-90's. But something close would be cool.

• Members

Duncan Alnico II are a bit brighter than your average humbucker and clean up beautifully. They're still going to sound like humbuckers, but not as muddy.

Another idea is TV Jones, TV Classics. I havent tried them, but you should look into them.

• Members

As mentioned above, coil-splitting (single/humbucker) is one way to go. I have that on my dual humbucker Telecaster and it works great. Another possibility is to to wire it with a push/pull for switching between series/parallel. I have that on a Les Paul with a Duncan Jazz in the neck and I can get close to single coil or P90 sounds out of it. As far as pickups, the Duncan Seth Lover is a bit brighter sounding than most humbuckers.

• Members

I think you are only going to get so close with gibby scale guitar. Alot of that clear bell tone from fenders is due to the larger scale, and higher string tension. That said, p90s are a great clear punchy tone, but still a totally different animal than fender SCs.

I would take the money you are about to spend on new pups and put it towards one of the new "standard" mexican strats. They are about 500 and well worth the price.

• Members

Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

Dimarzio EJ Custom

Dimarzio Bluesbucker

Fralin Unbucker

Those are humbuckers that have single coil character.

For humbuckers that are actually 2 singles that split, or just really good at splitting:

Anderson H Series

Duncan Stag Mag

Rio Grande Tallboy

SK Specialties Dualtones

Dimarzio Bluesbucker

And humbucker sized single coils (no hum cancelling here):

Vintage Vibe HP-90

Gibson P94

Duncan Phat Cat

GFS

• Members

I'm amazed at the difference coil tapped humbuckers make. I just got my first coil tapable guitar, and I'm sold, I'm actually thinking about upgrading the pups in my Tele Custom so I can coil tap them as well. I like my new guitar with the coil taps so much that I got rid of my MIM Tele becuase it was literally like having 2 guitars in one.

Archived