Why is Peter Frampton included in the "Guitar Gods" pantheon?

evh1984

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These Frampton threads almost always end up a mixture of hostility, ignorance and fanatacism. I will attempt to add to this ugly mix.

I think he deserves a place in the pantheon, even if a secondary one.

First, he has always played amazingly well with a mix of influences that makes him kind of different. I can always tell who is playing that lead.

Second, Humble Pie Rockin' the Fillmore. Listen to it. It rocks hard.

Third and for the win, Frampton Comes Alive. How many guitar rock records, and that was a guitar rock record, become cultural icons?

just my opinion

• Members

Peter Frampton always was, and almost certainly still is, a very, VERY good guitarist.

Just not a very interesting one.

Do you mean uninteresting as a person?

Or the music he plays is un interesting?

Because bpth of these things would be subjective, although I would more agree with him being uninteresting as a person, than a player.

He has avoided the spotlight and tabloids, and most of the things that seem to go along with superstardom, barring a brief problem with medication after an accident in which he almost died.

But as far as his music goes, especially his soloing, "interesting" is one of the first words I would use to describe him.

Not sure what you mean, but I am SURE I would find some bands that you really find to be interesting, to be quite boring to me.

Guess thats why there is so much room for all the musicians that do make it.

If we all liked the same thing, we would only need one group.

• Members

If we all liked the same thing, we would only need one group.

Yeaaaaahhh! Da RAMONES!!!!!

Point taken, tho'. His playing has never excited me, but I would never make a "sux, DOOOOOOOOOOd!" claim against him, because I know him to be a gifted and hardworking player.

There are still at least a coupla hundred players to whom I'd rather listen, tho'.

• Members

Peter Frampton always was, and almost certainly still is, a very, VERY good guitarist.

Just not a very interesting one.

That's funny. I was just listening to the "Lines on my face" recording posted here (thanks!) and thinking how much more interesting Frampton's scales, phrasings and note choices are than almost any other GOD in the pantheon.

He's essentially a jazz player playing rock.

His songwriting is not interesting. I agree with that.

• Members

I don't believe in "guitar gods", but Frampton is/was an excellent player

You need to listen to some Humble Pie........

Especially "Rockin' the Fillmore"

I believe Frampton was playing with them when he was about 17 or 18...........

Before that he was with the Herd, but I guess only geezers would remember that.

Rockin the Filmore is a classic:thu:

I think Frampton was the first guy who really did the jazz/blues in a Rock format. Very fluid, very melodic and very distinctive. He was a big influence on me in my early years of playing guitar.

I never really listened much to the Frampton Comes Alive Album, but his Humble Pie stuff is really amazing.

• Members

Is it based soley on "Frampton Comes Alive"?

If you were happening the summer that album was happening, you'd know why. Frampton owned that summer like no other. EVERYBODY was playing that album, and I mean everybody. Every once in a while that happens. "Frampton Comes Alive" was the background music for people's lives for a time. You'd have it on in your car, and at a traffic light the car next to you would, too. Go to the beach and it was in the air constantly. Go to a store or a friend's house and it was playing there. And you didn't want to get away from it because it was good stuff. Couple the solid songs with a very distinctive guitar style and you've got your Guitar God.

• Members

So Frampton was kind of like his generation's John Mayer? (except he had a talk-box)

Didn't Frampton play in Spooky Tooth @ one time?

His work with Humble Pie as a teenager was very impressive.

He was more like the the Stevie Winwood of guitar. :poke:

He had all his chops, along with the adolescent angst. Rare.

• Members

If you were happening the summer that album was happening, you'd know why. Frampton owned that summer like no other. EVERYBODY was playing that album, and I mean everybody. Every once in a while that happens. "Frampton Comes Alive" was the background music for people's lives for a time. You'd have it on in your car, and at a traffic light the car next to you would, too. Go to the beach and it was in the air constantly. Go to a store or a friend's house and it was playing there. And you didn't want to get away from it because it was good stuff. Couple the solid songs with a very distinctive guitar style and you've got your Guitar God.

I started to play guitar in 1974, but never took it seriously until I heard two albums... Led Zeppelin IV and Frampton Comes Alive.

Those two albums alone made me sit down and tune out the rest of the world and bury myself in my bedroom for intense practice and learning how to play the guitar.

Is Frampton a "Guitar God?"

Absolutely!

Not only is he a phenomenal player, he worked the Heil Talk-Box the way it was meant to work, and will always be the master! While Nazareth and Joe Walsh used the Talk-Box like a "wah" effect, Frampton was the first major player to actually make his guitar talk with it.

Listen to Frampton's solos on his songs. They're very melodic and use a combination of scales. Best of all, Frampton's solos have a loose feel, yet never deviate from proper timing. It's rare that a guitarist can pull that off every single time. Frampton is one of those exceptional guitarists who can.

• Members

Frampton is an extremely skilled and humble guitar player. So what if he ued the Talk Box? Several other guitarists utilised the effect also (Joe Walsh, Mick Jones of Foreigner, Mike Pinera of Iron Butterfly) Frankly, I really like Frampton's stuff with Humble Pie from Town and Country through Rockin' The Fillmore plus the Frampton's Camel album. His lead work is phenomenal!

• Members

to me, Frampton is not a pentatonic wanker or shredder, but he plays melodies, this is what sets him apart from other guitarists, except for ........................................., Gilmour.

I know many of you are going to hate me for comparing Frampton to Gilmour!

anyways, his playing is not as emotional as, say SRV, or super fast like Steve Vai, but I can certainly appreciate his ability to improvise very tasteful solos with sweet melodies.

• Members

I was born in '73 so I wasn't "there" so to speak when FCA first came out, but I know as a kid in the early-mid 80's Peter Frampton was still being talked about. I owned Frampton Comes Alive when I was a teen and I remember how I used to amaze my friends and wow the chicks with "I want to f__k you" and "do you feel like we do?" through the talk-box on "Do You Feel Like We Do?" We always thought that was the coolest thing, and how he mixed the guitar in there with the vocals. Cool stuff.

I guess the main thing is how he holds the crowd, playing crucial licks, but throwing in the flurry of "oooo, ahhhh" notes. And he still seems to be doing just that. :thu:

Archived