Sign in to follow this  
evh1984

Why is Peter Frampton included in the "Guitar Gods" pantheon?

Is it based soley on "Frampton Comes Alive"? I know he could bury alot of us with his playing, but is he really a bona fide guitar hero? Seems back in the early 80's most of my teenage cousins who played guitar wanted to be Frampton. I used to hear many would-be players remark, "One day I'll play like Peter Frampton". I'm NOT doubting his abilities or influence, but what gives?

frampton-comes-alive-726487.jpg

what, exactly, is the "Guitar Gods" pantheon? as for why he'd be considered a top guitarist, i'm not sure. i dig his tunes and his playing's just fine, but i've never thought of him as a virtuoso or anything...

The guy is really good. His early stuff has a lot of cool hooks and lead playing plus hes one of the few lead guitarist/singers that can pull off both well.

My Uncle whom played in bands with the likes of Gunner Ross and other Detroit musicians in the Early 70's told me Frampton was an Allright guitarist but what made him the big Media darling was his Teen Beat looks and his guitar gimmicks ala talk box.

Dont know if I agree completetly but kinda makes sense.

The guy is really good. His early stuff has a lot of cool hooks and lead playing plus hes one of the few lead guitarist/singers that can pull off both well.

My Uncle whom played in bands with the likes of Gunner Ross and other Detroit musicians in the Early 70's told me Frampton was an Allright guitarist but what made him the big Media darling was his Teen Beat looks and his guitar gimmicks ala talk box.

Dont know if I agree completetly but kinda makes sense.

So Frampton was kind of like his generation's John Mayer? (except he had a talk-box)

Didn't Frampton play in Spooky Tooth @ one time?

So Frampton was kind of like his generation's John Mayer? (except he had a talk-box)

That's a pretty good way to put it,

Yes and No.

He had a lot of band experience before Frampton but never switched genres or proclaimed he was doing something different than anyone"yet he was".

Frampton is more humble whereas Mayer believes its his right too be the best and lets everyone know about it.

Also I find Framptons voice soothing whereas Mayers makes me cringe.

I don't believe in "guitar gods", but Frampton is/was an excellent player

You need to listen to some Humble Pie........

Especially "Rockin' the Fillmore"

I believe Frampton was playing with them when he was about 17 or 18...........

Before that he was with the Herd, but I guess only geezers would remember that.

Yeah but, Frampton's music is actually good.

I would say you're right--a lot of his stature is based on "Frampton Comes Alive," which was (speaking as someone who lived through it) a real phenomenon.

A lot of casual listeners, rather empty-headed pop-lovers (such as my older sister and her friends) just took to it. There's a lot of guitar soloing on that record (if I recall correctly) and for some reason it didn't bore the average pop listener to tears the way self-indulgent guitar playing usually does. It is sweet, highly digestible fare.

I don't feel hostile to it now and it really captures the mood of that era--bland aimless seventies adolescent boredom, for me.

But stuff like that was exactly what made the Stooges necessary and what made the Ramones and the Clash etc. seem to me like fresh air after long suffocation.

Basically, yes. And, all you need to be in the pantheon is Frampton Comes Alive...it was the quintessential live album. Personally, I missed the album at the time (I was 12) and discovered it a few decades later. Yet, it STILL holds up as a great recording. I still have trouble believing that was recorded in 1975.

If you ever partied hard or perhaps drank too much, you can probably relate to these lyrics on some level. Personally, I think this song is great for the music, but I can relate to some of the lyrics as well...college days.

Do You Feel Like We Do

Well, woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand.

Whose wine? What wine? Where the hell did I dine?

Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.

Come on, let's do it again.

Do you...you, feel like I do?

How'd ya feel?

My friend got busted, just the other day.

They said,"Don't walk, don't walk, don't walk away."

Drove him to a taxi, bent the boot, hit the bag.

Had to play some music, wonder why's he drag.

How'd ya ___?

Do you...you, feel like I...

(1st guitar solo)

Yes ya do.

Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand.

Peached up, Peached Ale, never fails.

Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.

Come on, let's do it again.

How'd ya feel?

Do you...you, feel like I...

[keyboard solo]

"Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo"

Do you feel like we do?

Do you feel like we do?

Oh, that's true.

Do you feel like we do?

Get back.

Do you feel..do you feel like we do?

[2nd guitar solo]

[start voice box]

Oh baby do you feel?

Oh baby do you feel, feel like we do?

Do you feel...do you feel...like we do?

I want to thank you.

Do you feel like we do?

That's alright, that's alright to feel you'd like,

Feel you'd like, a good time.

We'll goto bed and good night.

Good time, good time, good time, good time, good time.

Frampton is a monster player. He did a 2 part "Soundstage" last year, find it.

He is very underrated IMO.

Frampton Comes Alive made his career, that Beatles movie killed his career.

You can never truely understand what an unbelievably HUGE phenomenon the Frampton Comes Alive album was unless you were there.

It was just the coolest sounding live album that had ever been made up to that point, in my opinion, and even though this is my opinion, enough people seem to agree with me as it was the biggest selling live album in history up to that point.

Frampton has done alot of stuff before and after that album, but nothing even remotely close to the success he had with the Comes Alive album.

This is one album I will never go without owning a copy of for the rest of my life, and I totally believe that this one album, and Frampton's unique style of playing, is way more than enough to put him in the guitar god category, even if this had been the only thing he ever did.

Even today, if you ever get the chance to see him live, do it.

If the fact that he is a gifted and unique guitarist has somehow escaped you through his recorded stuff, your mind will change if you ever see him live.

No, he is not a shredder type player like Vai, or Satriani; it isnt about that.

It is the melody he plays in his solos, and the somewhat unconventional color he brings to his playing that seems to sound just familiar enough to be able to relate to it, but is also , so uniquely, "Frampton", that you are always treated to something fresh sounding as no one else would play it.

And it is not just being different for the sake of being different, it is just what comes out of him naturally.

Never be distracted by the talkback effect, which is exactly what it is.

It is only an effect, and some people seem to think the sound of it is a little hokey and gimmickey, personally, I love it, and it is just another example of Frampton using what is available to him, to improve upon a song.

But for better or worse, he will always be associated with that effect, so, point is, dont let the sound of the effect get in the way of hearing the increadibly cool things he is playing underneath it.

The music, and especially his live, sort or rambling, almost improvish sounding solos are what truely sets him apart from all others.

There is a "color" to his playing that you will find in no other player.

So, yeah, in my book, Frampton will always be a guitar GOD, HERO, whatever you want to call him, and I could make this determination based on nothing other than "Frampton Comes Alive" if I had to, but his live playing after the fact has always left me believing, he is an even better guitarist than I already thought he was.

And watching these videos, has just made me say, once again, "Damn!! I love Frampton!!"

nL40Ak5QV6I

o2HqN4cxObE&feature=related

3s0h47TqsyM&feature=related

Jsut watched the "black hole sun" video.

Holy crap! thanks. I usually hate instrumental versions of vocal songs, and originally shrugged but that was some tasty playing indeed.

That was a kick ass version of "Show Me the Way" He made the talkbox work on those leads there. Too bad I don't have a record player anymore, or I'd dust off my Frampton.

drumandguitar_1986_2313526

That was my first thought.

He has pretty good chops but I have never heard him referred to as a "guitar god".

Very few things have ever been bigger than those few years of FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE. And he is a stupendously good and unique player, as well as a "nice" vocalist. One of my favorites by him is LINES ON MY FACE. Just a lot of cool stuff going on in that song.

Some of the responses in this thread are typical of the reaction to him.

Alot of people seem suprised to hear how good he is after seeing a live performance of his as if, "wow, he really nailed this or he really played that well, but the point is, he ALWAYS nails it and plays things well.

The black hole sun video is a great example of playing for the song, and not just turning it into a shredding wank fest, which he would be quite capable of doing if he wanted to, but it is what he doesnt play that is equally impotant as what he does.

Some players seem to just be repeating riffs and licks, solos, etc, that they have worked out over the years, and have played them so long, or worked on them so long, that they start to sound natural, but when the real deal comes along,(FRAMPTON), you can instantly tell the difference between that other stuff, and someone who just lets the music flow straight from some artistic place in his brain, and straight out the end of his fingers.

Not that he doesnt know his instrument really well, and hasnt worked increadibly hard over the years, but he has this quality to me, that seems like the guitar is just the channel through which HIS music flows, and this is DIFFERENT to people who "play" the guitar and use it to "make" sounds and or music on.

I guess the best way to say it is, one type of person plays "on" the guitar, and guys like Frampton play "through" the guitar.

There is no fumbling for notes, no thinking about what comes next.

Every note has a reason to be there, and every note suits the song for the sake of the music, not the sake of the guitarist on stage.

His fingers just make the guitar do what he is hearing in that music place in his brain in real time, and the music that lives in Peter Frampton's head, just really really works for me.

drumandguitar_1986_2313526

Yep, PF sold a lot of talk boxes. I bought one but it gave me a major headache every time I used it so I sold it.

I see PF as a great player with a great gimmick.

One other thing. Many of us equate him with the Leslie tones just as much as the talk box. I don't see a Leslie as being too much gimmickry.

Yep, PF sold a lot of talk boxes. I bought one but it gave me a major headache every time I used it so I sold it.

I see PF as a great player with a great gimmick.

Small separate amp and an AB box and it is pretty simple. That's what I like about the Rockman unit. Everything, including the amp and AB is built in.

Peter Frampton always was, and almost certainly still is, a very, VERY good guitarist.

Just not a very interesting one.

because his guitar spoke english with a funny accent and we all thought it was way cool...which it was..."do you feel alright???"...