Why is Peter Frampton included in the "Guitar Gods" pantheon?

evh1984

• Members

Probably what created his somewhat legendary status was the fact that he was doing what he was doing at such a young age and everyone in the music industry was taking notice. He was just a teenager starting out with Humble Pie and they were one of the super groups of the early 70's. If only they had stayed together, we could have been witness to some truly legendary music. I like Peter as a frontman ok, but when Marriot was singing and Frampton was allowed to wail on guitar it was magic.

"I don't need no doctor"! Oh yeah.:thu:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love PF's playing. He has that magic that few players have.

I was a teenager when FCA came out and it was such a phenomenon.

Believe me, every teenage guy back then wanted to be him because every teenage girl in America would have dropped her pants for him in a second.

• Members

Humble Pie

I Don't Need No Doctor

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZMmV6xXYFw

[YOUTUBE]LZMmV6xXYFw[/YOUTUBE]

For Your Love

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7N9VV9CT2P8&feature=related

[YOUTUBE]7N9VV9CT2P8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

30 Days In The Hole

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YyK6aqqiOrY&feature=related

[YOUTUBE]YyK6aqqiOrY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This is like the blueprint for the Black Crowes! :eek:

• Members

I saw Frampton this past December at the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam in Asheville, NC. I personally never thought of him as a "Guitar God", perhaps I was to young. But he was the best performance of the night, on a bill of impressive musicians that included Warren, Jackson Browne, Bruce Hornsby, etc... A solid player and entertainer with a great sense of the audience. :thu:

• Members

The guy is really good. His early stuff has a lot of cool hooks and lead playing plus hes one of the few lead guitarist/singers that can pull off both well.

My Uncle whom played in bands with the likes of Gunner Ross and other Detroit musicians in the Early 70's told me Frampton was an Allright guitarist but what made him the big Media darling was his Teen Beat looks and his guitar gimmicks ala talk box.

Dont know if I agree completetly but kinda makes sense.

ummm....dude.....Gunner Ross was still in high school in the EARLY 70's....oh....wait.....that's Andy Rossinski....oh...bet you didn't know his REAL name......sorry.....i know andy....and The Almighty Strut was in the 80's....long before he was with Ted....and i know him too....

and to be "on subject" there 's tons of stuff Pete has done that qualifies him and a great.....ever hear of Humble Pie???? that was Frampton.....and the guy is STILL bringing it.....today....i'm just sayin'

• Members

Frampton is pretty unique in that he's a really good frontman with a really good, recognizable singing voice, who also plays rhythm and lead guitar VERY well. I'm trying to think of another artist who possesses those same qualities and I'm drawing a blank.

David Gilmour springs to mind. :poke:

• Members

Live in Detroit is an excellent DVD. A lot of the same songs from Comes Alive, but unlike a lot of people regurgitating old songs, his playing has improved noticeably since then. Also, when you're talking class Les Paul/Marshall tone, his has to be some of the best out there. Listen to the end of Do You Feel Like We Do from Live in Detroit. Les Paul/Marshal/Leslie growling, snarling meanness in all its glory.

• Members

David Gilmour springs to mind. :poke:

Yup...that's about as close as I could come too. But I took points off Gilmour for having shared lead vocal duties for a significant portion of his band's career. :p Also, IMO Gilmour is not quite on the same level when it comes to being a "showman" or what I think of as a "true" lead vocalist. Frampton has it, Dave Gilmour doesn't...and that's coming from one of the worlds biggest fans of Gilmour's guitar playing.

Archived