Guitar players with stacks at home...do you honestly crank em all the way up?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Every time I see pictures of people's gear or "family" pics I always see some of you guys who have stacks. Marshal, Orange, Mesa, etc on all different kind of cabinet combinations 2x12, 4x12, yeah. So I'm curious...How man of you guys actually drive your amps all the way up full volume when you're at home? and be honest...it's kool...no one will think less of you lol. Or do you guys just use attenuators?

I know you guys use stacks for band practice and playing shows but when you're at home...really? What's the real deal?

Oh and if you can...post up a pic of your stack!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have a friend with a JCM900 and a Laney 4X12. that's LOUD. he was able to play it in his garage and they parents will not notice. but i think it's the esception to the rule - it depends on your house.

i live in an apartment and i can't play my silverface twin reverb on more than 2, master at 6.

• Members

honestly, i rarely have my head cranked all the way up. But i do play it loud. Just something about pushing the tubes hard that really gets me going. I built a 2x12 cab just for home use so i can leave my 4x12 at rehearsal. Also my head has a 50 / 100 watt switch which helps tame it a bit but i still crank it.

Home rig....

cab5.jpg

• Members
honestly, i rarely have my head cranked all the way up. But i do play it loud. Just something about puishing tubes hard that really gets me going. I built a 2x12 cab just for home use so i can leave my 4x12 at rehearsal. Also my head has a 50 / 100 watt switch which helps tame it a bit but i still crank it.

Home rig....

cab5.jpg

that is an awesome pedalboard - very neat & organized. :thu:

• Members
that is an awesome pedalboard - very neat & organized.
:thu:

Thanks. It took a while to finally break down and organize my board but it's great. I have a keyboard bag that it fits into nicely. All of the pedals are bolted onto the board so I just unplug the cables from the head and set the whole thing in the bag when traveling. Works out great.

• Members

Thanks. It took a while to finally break down and organize my board but it's great. I have a keyboard bag that it fits into nicely. All of the pedals are bolted onto the board so I just unplug the cables from the head and set the whole thing in the bag when traveling. Works out great.

what are those Ibanez & MXR pedals?

I can't quite make them out...

• Members

what are those Ibanez & MXR pedals?

I can't quite make them out...

The Ibanez is a cheap delay/echo pedal. I dont really use it much but for a couple of songs in our set. The MXR is the Smart Gate....best gate i ever had. Better than the Boss NS-2 imo. I need to upgrade the wah though...thinking of the Tremonti power wah or i may go back to my old crybaby.

• Members

The Ibanez is a cheap delay/echo pedal. I dont really use it much but for a couple of songs in our set. The MXR is the Smart Gate....best gate i ever had. Better than the Boss NS-2 imo. I need to upgrade the wah though...thinking of the Tremonti power wah or i may go back to my old crybaby.

I love my Vox 847 wah. If/when it dies, I'll buy the exact same thing.

• Members

I hardly ever play at home. When I do I have a little home-made practice amp, it's a removable 1/2-Watt amp I bought pre-assembled, which I installed in an empty mic box, and stuck into a gutted acoustic combo cab with 2 8-inch Fender speakers:

Boggosonic.JPG

I keep the big amps at the office for after-hours band parctices. Currently I usually run a vintage '60's Sunn 200S head into either: an 80's Risson 4x12:

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

Or a '60's Kustom 1x15:

RigDynamiteDebut52507.jpg

Or a DIY 2x12 (made from a gutted Crate combo with silverback Celestions stuck in):

l_3bb53bfbb7da950d9b088f9c216fe949.jpg

The Sunn is actually a bass head technically, and I've used it as such as well.

Back when we used to practice at Casa Krashpad I played out in the garage through my '66 Fender Super Reverb at volume with full band, but we kept practices to before 9 pm and less than 2 hours; the Super is in this pic with the Kustom rig and some other bits and pieces (Sovtek head and recently-sold Laney cab, Ampeg SVT cab and Crate bass head):

ampsSmall.JPG

• Members

Almost never. When my wife and kids are out of the house, I run my x100B at maybe 4 on the master volume. Shakes the {censored} out of the windows and walls. I had it up to 6 once. Didn't seem much louder than 4-5. Never put it on 10, either at home or at a gig....just no need to do so. I tried a hotplate on it once, but it sounds better without the attenuator with the MV set low.

• Members

Right now, I'm running a pair of Marshall 1966A/B with my 100W Bogner XTC for practice. Sometimes, I'll use a Marshall 3203 head - just depends on my mood.

I have a room in the basement that's a combination office, practice room/studio, and home theater. We built it with offset-stud walls, RSIC-isolated drywall, mass-loaded vinyl inslation, etc - I can play at stage volume no problem, and the HT sound system can pretty well keep up.

The only sound that gets through to the rest of the house is whatever is coming out of the subwoofer - 1000W 15" DIY.....

The fact that we're in the middle of a 160-acre farm probably helps, as well.;)

• Members

I don't even have power tubes in my 1/2 stack right now, and haven't for over a month. I play through my Classic 30 90% of the time anyway. I just haul the 1/2 stack out at the occassional gig that's big enough that I don't just look like an idiot for bringing a 1/2 stack. :o

I do tend to crank the Classic 30 to about 5 or 6 at home. It really opens up the tone of the amp, IMO. Plus, I live in a big house, have an entire floor of it dedicated to my music stuff, and my nearest neighbor is a couple hundred yards away.

Oh, and here's my 1/2 stack.

Stack1.jpg

And here's the setup that I actually use:

DSC01956.jpg

Archived