Guitar players with stacks at home...do you honestly crank em all the way up?

elsupermanny14

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

never play them more than halfway. classic 30 (30 watts), marshall tsl122 (100 watts, but played on 25 watt selection).

both are loud as {censored}... i did take the peavey up to about 10 or 11 once, holy {censored} :eek: the combo through the 412 actually was moving the walls or was it my brain and the walls :D

The C30 does go to 12 btw, 2 louder :thu:

wallpowerzx9.jpg

Even the Cube 30 is a loud little {censored}...

it is nice living in a house however, don't have to worry about apartment neighbors anymore.

the only thing any of my neighbors say now is; What's the name of your band? , LOL !!!!

• Members
I hardly ever play at home. When I do I have a little home-made practice amp, it's a removable 1/2-Watt amp I bought pre-assembled, which I installed in an empty mic box, and stuck into a gutted acoustic combo cab with 2 8-inch Fender speakers:

Boggosonic.JPG

I keep the big amps at the office for after-hours band parctices. Currently I usually run a vintage '60's Sunn 200S head into either: an 80's Risson 4x12:

BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

Or a '60's Kustom 1x15:

RigDynamiteDebut52507.jpg

Or a DIY 2x12 (made from a gutted Crate combo with silverback Celestions stuck in):

l_3bb53bfbb7da950d9b088f9c216fe949.jpg

The Sunn is actually a bass head technically, and I've used it as such as well.

Back when we used to practice at Casa Krashpad I played out in the garage through my '66 Fender Super Reverb at volume with full band, but we kept practices to before 9 pm and less than 2 hours; the Super is in this pic with the Kustom rig and some other bits and pieces (Sovtek head and recently-sold Laney cab, Ampeg SVT cab and Crate bass head):

ampsSmall.JPG

You have superb taste in big amplifiers. Looking at your pictures makes me want a nice old Kustom cabinet. I am tempted to drive over to the local used instrument store to see if they have any.

• Members

You have superb taste in big amplifiers. Looking at your pictures makes me want a nice old Kustom cabinet. I am tempted to drive over to the local used instrument store to see if they have any.

Wow, thanks.

The Kustom cabs are great, they have (at least at the era mine's from) pre-JBL JB Lansing speakers in them and sound very boss. The heads, not so great. But they are indestructible and can sub for a nicer head in a pinch. I actually used my Kustom 100 guitar rig for bass for the better part of a year when I first switched over (at the time) from guitar to bass and didn't have a bass rig. Not recommended but that ol' Kustom took it and came back for more.

• Members

My bass player has a biamped Carvin head like the one in the upper right corner. Runs one 300w channel into a Carvin 2x10 cab, the other 300w channel into a Carvin 1x18 cab. Sounds great. He went over to EuroTubes to see Bob last weekend, and left with a new high headroom JJ 12AX7 in the preamp. ;)

:thu::thu:

• Members

I don't have pictures. I used to tell my wife that I HAD to crank it all the way up to exercise it. I would turn the knobs and get that staticy sound and tell her its because I don't play it loud. It must get regular exercise. I live out in the sticks so I didn't bother anyone with it but her. I'm divorced now. I never heard her leave.

• Members
I don't have pictures. I used to tell my wife that I HAD to crank it all the way up to exercise it. I would turn the knobs and get that staticy sound and tell her its because I don't play it loud. It must get regular exercise. I live out in the sticks so I didn't bother anyone with it but her. I'm divorced now. I never heard her leave.

wow:eek: u r awesome!:thu:

• Members

So...from everyone's reply, it seems that most people DON'T use an attenuator. I wonder why that is? Do you guys not like them in terms of how they affect sound? or does you guys just have smaller amps that your practice with at home?

Yeah, I posted my little 2x8 home rig. I don't really see the point of an attenuator unless you need to record at lower volumes.

Plus I'm a notoriously cheap bastard.

• Members

I crank mine almost every time I play. I have a little practice amp in my bedroom, but the band room is in the basement. My son plays the drums and hits them HARD. We have a 300 watt bass rig with a Hartke 2x12 cab, and this Ampeg 100 watter. It has a built in attenuator, and that's cool for a while. But, there's no better feeling than the 4x12 kicking you in the gut. Yes, the walls shake and the heating ducts rattle, but it's Rock-n-Roll at it's best. Actually, it's at it's worst because we all suck, but we're having a blast and getting better every day. Here's a couple of pics.

ampeg011.jpg' alt='>'>

1-25037.jpg' alt='>'>

1-25038.jpg' alt='>'>

Oh, and don't ask about Sponge-Bob!

• Members

my marshall 50w half stack doesnt normally get pushed passed 2.5 on the master. i've had it to 6 once, to keep up with this asshole drummer that jammed with us once. and only once. i have to go buy new skins now thanks you him to. by the way, this is in a TINY room. so 2.5 is crazy loud as is.

i hate that guy...

• Members
So...from everyone's reply, it seems that most people DON'T use an attenuator. I wonder why that is? Do you guys not like them in terms of how they affect sound? or does you guys just have smaller amps that your practice with at home?

I forget who, But someone once said "attenuators turn tone into heat" :lol:

Archived