Someone says "play something," what do you play?

stratotastic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Having been put on the spot so-o-o many times it has come down to Pride & Joy to open, complete with intro, then something simple like Sunny by Bobby Hebb or Evil Ways by Santana. Stairway works too. Boston's More Than A Feeling.

Then maybe Girl From Ipanema just to throw some Jazziness in there.

And yeah,....it's all about showing off!

Then you make it backfire on the people wanting you to play. Try to get them to sing along to some campfire songs like Yesterday and Yellow Submarine.

When that doesn't work and they begin to shut t f up, it time for some surf tunes.

Then I start asking for donations!

JK!

• Members

I can strum and sing a {censored}load of songs.

Garth Brooks, Clint Black, George Strait, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Merle Haggard, Eagles, Little River Band, Creedence, John Cougar Mellencamp, Jackson Brown, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Van Halen, Whitesnake, ........

Hell I could play a whole nights worth of stuff solo if I wanted to.

Plus I know some jazz chord melody arrangements of "Satin Doll" "There Will Never Be Another You" "Cherokee" "Girl From Ipanema" "My Funny Valentine" "Little Darlin" and a couple others.

Plus I know a two or 3 classical pieces half-ass.

If I was at a party and someone handed me a guitar...... they'd have a hard time getting me to stop! :rawk:

• Members

I get that a lot. It's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when there are good-looking, single young ladies in the room. ;)

Many times I actually keep a guitar in the trunk of my car so I have something decent to play. Yeah, I've gotten the warped nylon-string-converted-to-a-steel-string-with-only-five-strings-on-it more than a few times. :rolleyes:

I usually play some campfire stuff: Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game," U2's "One," "Folsom Prison Blues," REM's "Man on the Moon," "Pride and Joy" and some of my own tunes. They're strong enough that they can hang with the covers. I've worked the cover scene for a few years, so I know a whole bunch of songs.

If people keep demanding too many country tunes or songs I don't like, that's when I start with RHH's "Interracial Cowboy Homo Kinda Love" or Mojo Nixon's "She's Vibrator Dependent." It gets the point across.

• Members

Well if I know the person's taste and it's something I know how to play then I'll play that. Otherwise it's usually an awkward situation where I say "You've probably never heard this stuff before" but they say that doesn't matter, so after a few Sabbath riffs and improvisation they are bored {censored}less.

• Members

I don't tend to play full songs because that would feel to me like I was putting on a performance, plus they would probably be bored by the time I'd finished, I usually just play a few chords to check the tuning and then do some Hendrixish noodling or other anything else I can think of that sounds good unaccompanied, a few Beatles riffs maybe.

• Members

If it's an acoustic, Mississippi John Hurt's Stagolee or Muddy Waters' Long Distance Call. If it's an electric either Chic's Good Times or The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, depending on whether the amp 's set for dirty or clean. Freddy King's Hideaway would work either way.

Archived