Someone says "play something," what do you play?

stratotastic

• Members

You know, like when someone finds out that you play, they run to the other room and grab a guitar, hand it to you and say "play something." Or someone comes over, sees your guitars and and says, "let me hear something." What pops to mind right away?

For me it's usually either Over the Hills and Far Away, Blackbird, or some I-IV-V blues improv. What about you guys?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll only play for a couple minutes if it's just acquaintances listening. Sometimes I'll sing what I've been writing lately and ask what they think. If I'm singing I keep it to simple strumming songs. For me the simple songs seem to translate better. Some easy favorites of mine are "As The Sun Still Burns Away" & "Standing At The Station" both by Ten Years After. Also "Back Streets" by Springsteen, & "Tear It Up". {censored} I've been singing and playing for years so I can do them with my eyes closed. I usually don't finish a song either - just bang into something else.

• Members

If they aren't are player, "Stairway to Heaven", because everyone recognizes it. Or a I-IV-V blues progression with a little playing around.

If they are a player, I just pray there is a piano near for me to play and not look like a hack on guitar. I have a lot more skill on piano for pulling some stuff out of my tuckus on command.

• Members

Usually people who do that try handing me an old nylon string guitar that has been restrung with steel strings, impossible to tune, only has five strings, and mile high action.

In those rare cases where I'm handed a functioning instrument, I play Closer To the Heart.

• Members

Usually people who do that try handing me an old nylon string guitar that has been restrung with steel strings, impossible to tune, only has five strings, and mile high action.

In those rare cases where I'm handed a functioning instrument, I play Closer To the Heart.

I actually love getting handed that 5 string yamaha..... I realy slam on those try to go for the brootalz for sure when they hand me the ol missing string geetar

Archived