Guitarists

Knottyhed

• Members

There's so many posts on how many guitars we should own, on whether someone is worthy of their expensive gear, on whether it is right to have great chops and show them off in an aledgedly tastless manner. If they go to a gig see another guitarist who has more skill they get depressed and winge about how they feel like giving up (or simply disparage that persons achievements), if they see someone with less skill they stand around telling their buddies they could do the gig better. Whenever i'm on forums I read all this crap, often when i meet other guitarists the conversion turns to this sort of crap... I just feel like I'm adrift in a sea of ass-holes sometimes.

• Members

There's so many posts on how many guitars we should own, on whether someone is worthy of their expensive gear, on whether it is right to have great chops and show them off in an aledgedly tastless manner. If they go to a gig see another guitarist who has more skill they get depressed and winge about how they feel like giving up (or simply disparage that persons achievements), if they see someone with less skill they stand around telling their buddies they could do the gig better. Whenever i'm on forums I read all this crap, often when i meet other guitarists the conversion turns to this sort of crap... I just feel like I'm adrift in a sea of ass-holes sometimes.

Try not to get stranded on a desert island.

If there is no food, you may have to eat your own legs.

• Members

In what way does this differ from humanity in general?

• Members

I know exactly what you mean. I'm an eternal novice (of some years standing) when it comes to guitar playing. Fortunately, I'm old enough and ugly enough not to be phased by the talents of superior players. Guitarists that have influenced my 'style' include the likes of Johnny Ramone, Ron Asheton,Keith Richards and Johnny Thunders (neither of whom were/are exactly Malmsteen). If this has stunted my technical progress, then so-be-it. But the day I hear someone like Malmsteen come up with anything as musically righteous as the main riffs from 'Blitzkrieg Bop, 'I Wanna Be Your Dog', 'Jet Boy' or 'Satisfaction' then I may have to re-consider. Until then ...

• Members

In what way does this differ from humanity in general?

Maybe you're right, it's just human nature to knock down people that have things you don't, and to sneer at people lower in the 'food chain'.

Still, I come accross this alot less (well not at all that I can remember) with the players of other musical instruments. I've never heard a drummer slag off another drummer for having too many drums/drum kits, I've never heard a bassist express anything but a positive reaction when they see a bassist with great chops, I've never heard a pianist say some kid doesn't deserve the opportunity to learn on their parent's expensive grand piano...

• Members
Maybe you're right, it's just human nature to knock down people that have things you don't, and to sneer at people lower in the 'food chain'.

Still, I come accross this alot less (well not at all that I can remember) with the players of other musical instruments. I've never heard a drummer slag off another drummer for having too many drums/drum kits, I've never heard a bassist express anything but a positive reaction when they see a bassist with great chops, I've never heard a pianist say some kid doesn't deserve the opportunity to learn on their parent's expensive grand piano...

Do you hang out in their forums though? It's human nature, it'll happen anywhere. I don't disagree with you as such but it's not worth wasting time on, such is life. Just enjoy the rock 'n roll :thu:

• Members
Do you hang out in their forums though? It's human nature, it'll happen anywhere. I don't disagree with you as such but it's not worth wasting time on, such is life. Just enjoy the rock 'n roll
:thu:

LOL - I am here on this forum precisely so i can waste some time. If I was at home with my guitars I'd be wasting my time by playing them ;)

I meet other musicians all the time, naturally i don't hang out on forums for instruments I don't play. But I had a browse before posting my whinge; if you go look at the drum or bass forum you'll be hard pressed to find this sort of subject. Here it'll be on the front page every day.

• Members

I hang out with a lot of guitarists ranging from big money making pro session guys to dudes who can only play a few songs. I generaly find that most of these people are pretty supportive of each other. We all tend to tell each other what geniuses the other guys are.

Maybe it's a maturity thing, I don't know how old you guys are, but the crowd I hang with tend to be at least over 30.

This thread reminds me a little of the stories I've read, when Clapton and Beck first saw Hendrix live and they thought that their days where numbered. All that competitive gun slinging stuff is for kids. You never hear Clapton or Beck talking like that now. Just like those guys, I think I'm good but I know there's always somebody better who's gonna show up an blow me away.

Weather it's Allen Holdsworth or Johnny Ramone I just try to relax and dig it.

• Members

I've never heard a bassist express anything but a positive reaction when they see a bassist with great chops, I've never heard a pianist say some kid doesn't deserve the opportunity to learn on their parent's expensive grand piano...

Wow. From my experience I have found that bassists are complete dicks when it comes to other bassists. Pianists too. But the guitarists I know are all fairly mellow. Lucky?

• Members

Wow. From my experience I have found that bassists are complete dicks when it comes to other bassists. Pianists too. But the guitarists I know are all fairly mellow. Lucky?

Definately not my experience. I find that there's a far higher percentage "dick-comparers" amongst guitarists... I've come accross a couple of pianists that are like that, but never a bassist.

• Members

I've found that most of the truly good guitar players I've met don't blow attitudes. They don't have to...............their playing does all the talking that's needed. The trash talkers are usually compensating for their shortcomings as players.

Archived